iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I had a double plug in the skidsteer tire for the last few weeks. It ejected that today. It now has a triple plug in it... which is a feat  :D. I believe the writing is on the wall.

donbj

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 20, 2021, 09:18:41 PM
I'm feeling a little foolish. I have been cussing my desk top for about a week, I would get a drop down every time I clicked which wouldn't allow me to go further. If I clicked to close it the page would disappear, GRRRR! Today I noticed the mouse was looking a little grungy, the gap between the paddles was full of dust and probably toast crumbs among other things so I plugged in a spare I found in the  drawer. VOILA!!! I'll be DanGed ::)
That reminds me of a couple weeks ago I was entering some scale data into the Govt system and as I was entering the numbers the cursor started flipping around on the screen on its own for some weird reason. I thought my computer was going south or a virus or something was doing its thing. I took the mouse and tried to settle it down but it just got weird. I took my tally sheet off the left side of my computer to deal with things and it stopped. The darn sheet was laying partially on the mouse pad on the laptop and fiddling with it as I slightly moved the laptop entering data. Made me laugh and glad it was something simple!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Jim_Rogers

Well, it's my turn today.
I was backing my truck up to a spot to load up some stuff, and backed into a log sticking out.
Just the right height to do this:

Ordered the replacement piece but won't be in until tomorrow morning after 9am.
So a little repair was in order:

Found the broken pieces and did a little jig saw puzzle solving and clear packing tape and it should pass with a push.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crusarius

at least you missed the sheet metal. taillights are much easier to change.

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

thecfarm

You did such a nice job Jim, why do you need to replace it?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Truck picked up,  the tires are on, so yeah I just  locked up my bigger Dolmar saw cutting my slab rack.... I just got good and started on firewood. Expensive day.....wasn't idling down right when I started the second side....Our daughter came over for supper and  dad wanted to just get it done. I should've just quit but all I had was 3 more sections to cut. About a  3 minutes more of cutting. Ignored the little voice in my head...... ::)  Maybe I should just buy the propane.....

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: thecfarm on September 21, 2021, 08:55:15 PM
You did such a nice job Jim, why do you need to replace it?  ;D
I may wait until the inspector says it needs replacing....
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

almost.  backing up inbetween rows of logs, and a pile of sandy soil in the middle of an area backing the 32 foot GN off the U shaped drive and into its spot, with my buddy jimmy watching, me looking in the rear mirror.  hands went up, and I was 2 inches from backing my dually plastic fender into the end of a 4 inch diam. ERC log.  Those fenders are plastic, do not ask how I know, but he saved the day yesterday.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

haven't done the down switch on return but I have done things far far worse stupid_smiley

One of the worst things was hooking the mill up to the tractor and taking off to set it up on the upper section of the property.  on they I started into a very sharp turn without watching.......yes very dumb as the big tractor tires nearly ripped the hydraulics off the mill..

I was able to save it but just barely and am still smacking myself over it!!!!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Okay, it was yesterday but close enough. I was mowing after about 3 weeks and tall grass to contend with. In the front yard I had a nylon rope with a frazzled end I tied to the rail for the dog to play with. As I got closer I stopped to get off and coil up the rope and get it out of the way but I should have stopped 2' sooner. As I shut the blade off I heard a funny noise. When I tried to move the rope I found it under the mower and tight. I looked and one blade and the nut were on the ground. I cut the rope and picked up my blade and nut and called it a day. Now I have to go raise the mower and see if the spindle is damage or just wrapped up in half inch nylon rope then finish my mowing. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

You were lucky, I have seen what happens when a blade comes off at 200mph!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Or,,,,,you could just run with it. Think of it as a giant string trimmer. :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tom King

Those duallys don't have as much sideways traction as single rear wheels, on slick stuff.  I was going back through the woods, last Winter, to check on an old house.  A 90 degree, slow speed turn ended up as a 270 in slow motion.

After the plastic fender tapped the tree, I picked up all the pieces.  I forgot to start taking pictures before I had already started the repair.

Using 3M DP100, Humpty Dumpty was reassembled.  I used stir sticks, and double sided tape to keep the surface aligned.  Sorry, got the pictures out of order.

Once the outside was put back together, I laid several layers of fiberglass cloth, and mat, with epoxy, on the inside of the fender, to stiffen it up.  A few little pieces wouldn't go back in without distorting the next piece, so those were left out, and filled with epoxy on top of the glass laid underneath.

Every step was epoxy, including flexible body filler, and primer.

Primer is epoxy too.  I have the paint to paint it white, and the decal, but haven't gotten around to the last steps yet.

I think overall, there is less time in it than installing a replacement fender, and the few hours work were worth the money not spent on the replacement fender.  With the layers of glass on the inside, this one is now stiffer than the other one.

Notice Logrite hookeroon that stays in the back to pull stuff out of the bed that I can't reach.

Hilltop366

Nice job on the fender.

When the plastic duallys first came out a local contractor got one with a Boss V plow, after a big snow storm he was out plowing driveways and went to open up a driveway entrance where the highway snow plow had left a 5 foot bank along the road so he put the plow in full V and made a run for it and went right through the snow bank looked back and there were his two red fenders in the snow bank.

WV Sawmiller

Well, my mower fix was easy, just lifted it using a pulley on my deer skinning rack and the ATV winch, sharpened and replaced and tightened the nut then finished my mowing.

After that I replaced a bar stretcher nut on my Sthil 440. The shaft had broken in front of the little worm gear. One of those tedious projects but finally got it fixed, install a new bar and an old, dull as it turned out, bar, cut a few cuts on a dead ash limb in the lot and the whole muffler fell off. ::) Some days you just can't win. I assume was just the bolts vibrated loose but I'll replace the whole assembly the next time I can go by a dealer and get the parts.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Should have stuck with the string trimmer Idea. The good ju-ju might have carried over onto the saw. 
 Now if I recall my history, and I think I do, you've had that 440 for about 20 years now and at one time it was brought back from the dead? It might be time to go over it and just order a bunch of parts to make it feel good about itself again and prevent some of these aging signs? Just askin' ;D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

The 440 is pretty old, has been rebuilt, set up a year or so till my new mechanic replaced the carb and it runs good. Just little things like the bar stretcher and a new bar and now the muffler falling off. Basically these things are just cost of doing business. 
Howard Green

gaproperty

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM
I made a cut and then went to raise the head so I could return it for the next cut.  Apparently I lowered the saw on accident instead of raised.  When I pulled the saw, the back of the blade hit the log and the blade came off the wheels.  At first I thought the blade broke, then I realized what had actually happened.  The blade appeared undamaged, but I was leery about putting it back on.  I figure at the least, some teeth got damaged.  Who's done this?
The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything.  I am looking at buying a mill.  How do you like your lt15.  
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

firefighter ontheside

@gaproperty I have learned that many times over.  I have made that same mistake a few times since I originally posted this.  I love my LT15.  Mine is about 15 years old and only has 2 bed sections.  I'm fine with that since mainly I cut hardwoods for woodworking.  Not much need for 16' long walnut.  I have upgraded the clamps, installed a new 19horse engine to replace the dead 15horse and have added power feed.  I love it even more now.  Someday I might want to buy a mobile saw, but for now this is perfect.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Roundhouse

I can't be the only one who now, when something dumb happens, thinks of this thread right away and thinks "this will be perfect for the thread". 

And so it was last Monday. I was feeling pretty good about myself having just moved a cabin with the forklift I had repaired a couple days earlier. There was a new shed I brought to the site and decided to offload and position it before heading home. Earlier this summer I found the shed free on FB marketplace close to home. It was easy to load as only half the tin cladding was in place (roof and two walls) and all the framing. Over a couple months I left it on the trailer and finished the shed. I decided not to keep track of what I spent on that free shed; the matching tin to clad it, the insulation, the OSB for inside walls, the $20 used door etc. Anyway, with the shed complete I trailered it out to the property. 

Trying to offload the finished shed carefully was a tall order compared to putting it on, despite having the forklift on hand. After a lot of fussing and only one close call I had the shed off and on the ground. I was grousing about how much easier this would have been with a deckover trailer. Given the narrowness of this shed I could reach from behind with the forks reaching across under the floor. With the trailer out of the way I repositioned the forklift to pick up the shed in order to place blocks under the corners. The 2x4s I used to slide the shed off the trailer were still under the shed. This is where things get dumb. No problem I thought, I'll just stab the ground a bit to get under the 2x4s. I did that and picked up the shed and 2x4s and started to tweak the positioning of the shed. What I didn't realize was that I had also picked up a large root and attendant clump of dirt between my forks and the bottom of the shed which high-centered the shed allowing it to start a slow-motion dive away from the machine. I tried setting the whole works down but couldn't drop it fast enough before it dropped on its face. 

All in all I was lucky. There was a soft mound that caught it before it landing completely flat. The shed was empty. No windows nor the door were broken and most of all nobody was under it. I came around and tried picking it up with the fork but being so small it just teetered on the far corner. Ultimately I put a strap around it and gently tilted it up from behind. Now all I have to worry about is the wind, perhaps I'll make a big wood pile along the backside...

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

firefighter ontheside

I bid on a lot of online auctions.  Sometimes I buy stuff that I can use and sometimes stuff that I will buy and re-sell.  Tonight I forgot to bid on an auction I had placed initial bids on with the intent to come back as it was ending to bid on the things I wanted.  This was all going to be stuff for me.  There was a bunch of good woodworking stuff I wanted and some tents and other outdoor stuff I also wanted.  I completely forgot to go back to the auction site tonight.  I missed out on all the stuff.  Well, I did win one thing I had bid on.  I won a 5 gallon bucket and a trash can with some whisk brooms in it for $2.  Not worth the drive to go pick it up, but since my wife drives thru there every day, she will pick it up for me.  Still, I am kicking myself for forgetting.  Many of the things I wanted went for just over what I was bidding.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

@Roundhouse I started this thread because I did something dumb while milling.  I decided to share it with the group and totally did not think the thread would take on a life of its own.  Since I originally posted there have been nearly 2000 replies.  I think quite a few folks think of this thread when they do something dumb.  Thanks for sharing your tipped shed.  I'm glad it wasn't damage too badly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 05, 2021, 11:03:05 PMStill, I am kicking myself for forgetting. Many of the things I wanted went for just over what I was bidding.

I've done that more than once in the last few weeks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Speaking of kicking yourself, which seems to be a persistent theme here.....
 SO I got to the mill to squeeze in a couple of hours of milling through the drizzle yesterday trying to salvage an otherwise wasted/lost day and I went through my checks before the first cut, blade tensioned, log clamped, pith pretty straight, stops clear, #@**toe boards down, etc, and I noticed there was a little buildup on the blade. Tweaking that lubemizer is still a work in process for me trying to get it just right without having the wood soaking wet. So I clicked it up a little bit more and began cutting. Checked it after the two opening cuts and there was still a little buildup, so I switched from pulse to continuous, but turned it down a little. Two more cuts and the blade was clean, so I backed off just a bit more and happily milled along. About halfway through zipping off a dozen 1x12 I happened to look up and noticed the valve on the lube jug was closed. Somedays, ya know?  smiley_brick hits_hardhat

Thank You Sponsors!