iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

aigheadish

Do you guys have suggestions for good auction sites? I've never really gotten into it but it'd be a neat thing to keep an eye on.

Oh yeah, I have a dumb thing too! I did some landscaping work at a neighbors and missed, twice, the phone line that dangled across his yard. I didn't see it the first time when I walked around seeing what the work was, then I missed it a second time as I drove the backhoe through the yard. My backhoe boom, however, did not miss it. Luckily, the guy doesn't use a land line anymore and it was just the phone line. I could have been in big, big trouble.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: aigheadish on October 06, 2021, 08:43:06 AMo you guys have suggestions for good auction sites?
I use BidRL.com.  They are almost all in California but have one store in Indianapolis, IN.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

aigheadish

Thanks ljohnsaw! Safe to assume you can get things shipped to you? Like, I don't have to go pick up my winnings? I'll definitely check it out!

edit- At least on that site it looks like no shipping. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

I know this one has auctions in Kentucky and Tennessee.  I only bid on the MO and IL ones.
https://www.apro.bid/

also try hibid.com
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: aigheadish on October 06, 2021, 10:59:46 AM
Thanks ljohnsaw! Safe to assume you can get things shipped to you? Like, I don't have to go pick up my winnings? I'll definitely check it out!

edit- At least on that site it looks like no shipping.
Yeeeaaahhh, no shipping
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

Quote from: aigheadish on October 06, 2021, 08:43:06 AMOh yeah, I have a dumb thing too! I did some landscaping work at a neighbors and missed, twice, the phone line that dangled across his yard. I didn't see it the first time when I walked around seeing what the work was, then I missed it a second time as I drove the backhoe through the yard. My backhoe boom, however, did not miss it. Luckily, the guy doesn't use a land line anymore and it was just the phone line. I could have been in big, big trouble.

Don't feel alone with that one.  It wasn't today but a few years back I was running a subsoiler in a field down maybe 16", happened to look back and had probably 100' of phone line dragging behind me, oops.  Hadn't been service there for probably 20 years so didn't think much of it.  The next day a van was parked by the little gray box with a guy stooped over the box working away.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

aigheadish

My doing something dumb for the day is signing up on Hibid.com

I wonder how long before I get in trouble on this one... I'm already 2 bids deep.

Wudman

Quote from: Southside on October 06, 2021, 10:55:07 PM
Quote from: aigheadish on October 06, 2021, 08:43:06 AMOh yeah, I have a dumb thing too! I did some landscaping work at a neighbors and missed, twice, the phone line that dangled across his yard. I didn't see it the first time when I walked around seeing what the work was, then I missed it a second time as I drove the backhoe through the yard. My backhoe boom, however, did not miss it. Luckily, the guy doesn't use a land line anymore and it was just the phone line. I could have been in big, big trouble.

Don't feel alone with that one.  It wasn't today but a few years back I was running a subsoiler in a field down maybe 16", happened to look back and had probably 100' of phone line dragging behind me, oops.  Hadn't been service there for probably 20 years so didn't think much of it.  The next day a van was parked by the little gray box with a guy stooped over the box working away.  
I'll add my phone box story.  I was still a kid.  We had rented a new farm and I was discing a field that had been fallow for a few years.  I was rolling the sweetgums and honeysuckle under.  Out near the road, there was a nice pile of honeysuckle.  No problem, that King offset cutting disc would make short work of it.  Next pass by I noticed a grey box......yep, telephone box.  One of the disc had peeled it open like a can opener.  I pushed it back upright and covered it with a hydraulic oil bucket that was in the back of the service truck.  I went and told Dad what happened.  He went to the farm owner's house (no cell phones back then) and called the phone repair service.  The repairman (we knew him well) looked at the bucket and said that's as good as anything I would do this afternoon (it was late on a Friday).  That bucket probably hung there for another two years.   ;D

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

doc henderson

I have not posted on this thread for a while, and it is not cause I did not do anything dumb...I do not post everything.  today I will post a three-fer.  :o :o :o  we have been working intermittantly on a "little library for my wifes massage therapist.  we decided to just get it done.  mounting the stained glass in the door.  pulled out the picture frame pointer to secure the glass.  did about three points and realized it was cracking the glass as I put the points between the soldered areas.  

<br

looks good but will use the template and make a new one, or repair this one.  was planning to install tomorow.  ruined my day.

I have been cleaning and organizing the shop after the how to store wood thread.  I am glad I could make others feel better about their own messes.  I had trash cans organized by trash like plastic, and i always have a burn can.   I had a little fire going all afternoon and I took out the burn can about dusk.  it was heavy and looking in it was mostly little cutoff.  I had also put dustpans full of sahving and dust.  I carried it out with a hand over my shoulder and the plastic 40 gallon trash can on my back.  walked up to the fire and dumped it in.  the dust in the bottom flatred up like gasoline.  I could smell the hair on my arms and I turned away in time to spare my face.  I was ok, but the flames were big enough my wife came running and was speechless untill I told her I was ok.  I looked in the bottom and there wast still a little dust.  you got it I dumped it in, and got the same flames a second time.  little spot of 1rst degree burn to each wrist area.  good lesson.  

so then i was secureing a log to cut tangential cookies.  I put a few screws in the log through the jig I use.  taking out the screws I knew they would be hot, but my brain said, "so pick up real fast to move it.  it burned bad real fast!  OMG.  so I am caught up.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Doc, those are some bad days in Bedrock!  3's

sawguy21

@doc henderson you of all people should know better ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

I do, but we all need a gentle reminder occasionally.  we think we are bullet proof.   :)  I am actually 10 feet tall. :o  8)  :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

The sawdust thing kinda sounds like why grain elevators blow up, if you get enough fine particles floating in air (oxygen) it becomes an explosive gas waiting to ignite. I have also learned spraying either in a flat truck tire and lighting it to inflate the bead also works good to remove hair.  :o
Nice little book box. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sawguy21

Ether used judiciously works great for setting the bead on skidder tires. Too much and things get entertaining, I saw a pickup that  took a direct hit from a flying rim.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HemlockKing

Something that I don't think I'd ever try lol 
A1

SawyerTed

Doc!  For both of us, I hope they don't come in 3's.  

I do dumb things more than I like to admit.  Most dumb things I get by with because I can fix them.

Not this one.  I bought this truck about a month ago.  It is a sweet Silverado High Country 6.2.  It's a daily driver, boat and camper tow vehicle.  For those purposes it's plenty of truck. Most other work will be done with other trucks. 

I needed to load half a dozen arm loads of firewood for a camping trip. I backed up to the wood shed loaded some wood and started to drive around to the camper. Well there was a low hanging limb against the windshield.  I turned a bit to the left to avoid the limb and pulled forward.  The side of the bed scraped against a firewood bin.  The &"@#%! bin was there when I walked around it to get in the truck!

It's a bed off, new bed side kind of repair.....$$$$

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

HemlockKing

Well it's starting to look like a proper work truck now. Next scratch/dent you won't feel so bad now lol 
A1

GAB

From the picture it looks like you'll be able to save the gas cap door.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SawyerTed

Mr. King sir, the Admiral won't allow such scratches and dents on something she rides around in.  :D :D

Plus the new truck was mostly her idea. According to her , she's been on enough trips in a dump truck (meaning she does not much like the one ton platform Ram dump bed for camping or boating trips).
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

HemlockKing

One ton dump trucks ride so SMOOTH though.... Lol very quiet ride too, no loud BANGS from the dump over any small bump ...  :D :D :)
A1

firefighter ontheside

Fine sawdust is so much fun around a campfire.  I may have done that on purpose before.  In the days before we firefighters were all married with children we would go camping with just the guys.  It was called sausage fest.  I'm not explaining that.  We did what was called, "fun with white gas".  I think you can imagine white gas being thrown into a fire.

Sorry bout the truck Ted.  That will make a guy sick.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

Funny, living in AZ we called those mickeys bombs. Would drink a mickeys beer then fill the bottle with gasoline and set it in the fire till it boiled and popped the top off making a giant fireball. also used sobe bottles. we actually had made a 6 pack rack to put them in the fire gave us the ability to reuse the bottles.

Ljohnsaw

OK, I'm reading this thread so I should make my entry.  I went up to the property to do a little more winterizing.  I had a bunch of temporary plywood screwed down while we were working on raising the lower bents.

We were moving them around as we worked.  For the winter, I wanted all the tops of the beams covered as well as the center floor beam.  Ended up like this:

Notice all the plywood is gone (so the snow won't pile up).  I had to have a base to set my ladder on to get up there to screw them down.  Well, to save time, the plywood was loose.  Yep, I stepped on the end that was not supported and it flipped up and down I went.  I caught myself (a few bumps and bruises).  Had I not caught myself, I would have only gone another 6" to the top of a lumber stack.
John Sawicky

WDH

Doc Henderson,

You ain't alone, brother  :).  Mine was a tad bit worse than yours, but I ain't bragging'.  My accelerant was not sawdust.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I haven't done anything dumb since yesterday.  Well one dumb when I let both chainsaws fall out of the tractor bucket.  When I got the tractor stopped one was under the disk and the other was under the right front tire.  :-X  No picture, so use your imagination.

The other was not really dumb because I sorta knew what would happen, but it was funny.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!