iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulics

Started by Trapper4977, February 17, 2020, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper4977

If you need to buy new hydraulics like pumps or motors or cylinders what is your best shopping source?  Still thinking about a wood processor or a big powerful fire wood splitter without breaking the bank!

york

Albert

dave_dj1

I've bought from surplus center and had a good experience, the parts have lasted a few years so far.

Wallys World

I purchased my hydraulic parts from Surplus Center for my splitter when I was 17 years old. It is still going good and so am I and I'm 62!

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Trapper4977

Very impressive! Those parts are holding up great.
I cant decide if I should build a huge splitter, or a huge splitter I can later incorporate into a processor! Still thinking about engines, pumps, cylinders, wedges, etc... Dont want to undersize it, but cant spend a fortune either.
Thanks

luap

I have used both Surplus Center and Spliteze with no complaints. I still shop around to know prices for hoses, etc . I generally avoid used hydraulic components. MY engine purchases have come from all over the map. Amazon sources have been good. 

jmur1

I also bought from splitez.  

I like the 28 gpm pump I got from them.  (Still going strong)

I also bought this pump from Harrier in the UK:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/22GPM-Hydraulic-Log-Splitter-Two-Stage-Pump/293019324459?hash=item443950102b:g:TckAAOSw3gJZMdvg

It worked well for some time but eventually I had trouble with the input shaft failing on it.  I believe my connector to the flex coupling was out just a shade and this caused the input shaft to fail.  The shaft seems quit small (in diameter Ø) for the load it carries - beware of that. 

I think the 28GPM  cast iron (concentric/Haldex knock off) is the way to go.  For the price of it it lasts a long time if you keep it cool and well fed with oil.

jmur1
Easy does it

doc henderson

I built mine as well.  18 hp, 28 gpm 2 stage pump.  5 x 32 inch cylinder 8x8 inch H beam.  I wanted it to look professional. so I paid more but hauled it to the hydraulic shop and had them make custom hoses.  one came out a half inch too long, and they remade it and not extra charge.

shopped all over.  the odd sized cylinder was a special order not picked up,  new motor (local saw shop matched price at NT), car exhaust so you can talk over it. (O'Reilies).  pump and connectors online.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I think it might have taken me 20 odd years to accumulate enough junk to build mine .Then about 4 days to build it .The hydraulic components  came from Surplus Center .It's  heavy duty with I think a 70 some pound to the foot piling beam,2" thick butt plate and a 5" by 20 " Parker -Hannifin super duty cylinder .I can split a tad over 24" .I've never had a problem with the hydraulic stuff .pump,valve etc.My Lawdy that thing is heavy .I have a cable using the cylinder to tilt it up and a boat winch to lay it back down .
A lot of talk about cycle time. This one I only run about 2/3 throttle and in horizontal it can out run me .Then again I'm not 25 years old any more .--well part of me says I still am but part of me says i'm not .The second part wins the argument. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!