iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY sawmill build

Started by Mesquite cutter, March 23, 2020, 08:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

Time to weld the bottom.  I am trying to get as much done as I can before I get to work.  

In that note...  My heart goes out to all of y'all that have been laid off from work during this corona crisis.  As law enforcement, I am one of the lucky ones that still gets to keep in working.  

Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Mesquite cutter

Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Hilltop366

Quote from: Crusarius on March 25, 2020, 12:00:09 PM
you can fix that by putting the rails on straight and not worry about it. I was thinking it was a vertical movement.

Just make sure the rails are parallel and square to each other.
Wondering if the saw carriage wheels on one side can have a bit of side to side play to prevent binding if there is a bit of inconsistency in track parallelism?

Mesquite cutter

I think it will.  I will be using casters that are 2 inches wide and the beam is 3 inches wide.  The four post frame will be three inches wide also.  You can see them lying next to the frame on the ground. 
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Hoopty5.0

Wait.. Are you using flat casters? Something with a flat wheel that will roll on a flat surface?

Crusarius

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 25, 2020, 06:47:36 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on March 25, 2020, 12:00:09 PM
you can fix that by putting the rails on straight and not worry about it. I was thinking it was a vertical movement.

Just make sure the rails are parallel and square to each other.
Wondering if the saw carriage wheels on one side can have a bit of side to side play to prevent binding if there is a bit of inconsistency in track parallelism?
This is always a good idea. I have seen many builds that use angle welded legs down forming a V. that does not give any flex at all without the carriage riding up on one side. Unless you have floating rollers.

Crusarius

I would not recommend flat on flat unless you have very good scrapers. Even then its not likely a good idea due to buildup.

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on March 26, 2020, 08:46:13 AM
Wait.. Are you using flat casters? Something with a flat wheel that will roll on a flat surface?
I will be using V groove casters.   The similar to what Cooks sawmills use.   I was going to weld a 1 inch 1/4 thick angle iron upside down to serve as the rail. 
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

My next step is to get a 3,500 lb axle to install and weld the trailer hitch part also so I can move it around. Then get the trailer jacks installed.  Once that is done I will be able to level it and build the saw frame on a level bed frame.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

I am undecided if I should go with  3 trailer jacks on each side or go with 4 on each side.  What do y'all think?  The trailer is 20 feet long.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2020, 01:40:33 PM
+1 on that.  (that is, I agree)  Don't use or rely on the axle as a supporting item.  You may even want to remove the wheels (or have the entire axle removable) when on site so you are not running into them when cutting.  Will depend on the size of you saw head/overhang.  The tires may also be an issue when loading logs.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bwstout

I bought the casters that Cooks sells they have them for either way for the angle to be 90 degrees up or both sides down I chose the 90 degree and added a wiper in from and back of the carrier to keep the track clean work well do not have build where it gets a bump. I spray a little ATF on the rail and casters and it clean up nice. With the angle at 90 degree there is less surface area for saw dust to collect.
home built mill

JRWoodchuck

I bought 8 jacks 4 for each side and only ended up installing 6 of them. But I also have outrigger style legs to stiffen everything up. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Mesquite cutter

I priced the 3500lb axle.  It is a bit more pricey than I thought.  I am considering looking for a used axle.  I don't think a 2500 lb axle would be heavy duty enough after all that steel on top.   It will only be holding the sawmill.  The trailer jacks will be holding the weight of the logs but still, I don't think 2500 lbs it is sturdy enough for the sawmill.  What are your thoughts?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Hoopty5.0

If you have FB, look on marketplace.

charles mann

My thoughts are, you get what you pay for, and, its better to have and not meed it, than need it and not have it. 
fbmp might have, but iv ran into saving $500 cost me an extra $500 to bring it up to the standard i want, and I didnt save a penny. 
If you have any doubt 2500 wont support it, then yes, get a 3500#. Eventually you'll have to pay the piper. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: charles mann on March 27, 2020, 09:51:15 AM
My thoughts are, you get what you pay for, and, its better to have and not meed it, than need it and not have it.
fbmp might have, but iv ran into saving $500 cost me an extra $500 to bring it up to the standard i want, and I didnt save a penny.
If you have any doubt 2500 wont support it, then yes, get a 3500#. Eventually you'll have to pay the piper.
Completely agree.  I looked on Facebook market place.  From the prices that I found it looks like I would only save about $100 in some cases by going used.  In others after doing the math it would cost me less money to buy new.
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

Got another dilemma that I did not consider.  My main beams are 51 inches wide on center.  All the axles I see are either too short or too long on the leaf spring center.   It kinda hurts me to have to cut a brand new axle to match the leaf spring center on the main beam.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on March 27, 2020, 10:48:37 AM
Got another dilemma that I did not consider.  My main beams are 51 inches wide on center.  All the axles I see are either too short or too long on the leaf spring center.   It kinda hurts me to have to cut a brand new axle to match the leaf spring center on the main beam.  
How close are the longer one?  Couple inches or so?  Then I would just weld on some new spring seats (don't bother removing the old ones if they are not in the way).  You won't be coming close to the 3,500# rating so an extra inch or two projecting from the springs won't hurt.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Look on ebay. they cut to order.

My trailer is 24' long I have 4 jacks per side. the end ones are in about 2-3' from the ends. if you do that you really only need 3 jacks.

As for the 2500# axle being enough, it depends on what material you use to build everything. I think my entire mast and sawframe is about 300# max.

100 for the engine probably another 100 for all the hardware and frame, less than 100 for the mast. battery and fuel adds a bit more but still not even close to 400 total.

Ljohnsaw

The other thing to think about going to 3,500# rating is it will be stiffer than a 2,500#.  If you don't have the weight, it will be a rough ride on you mill head.  You could go with a heavier axle and lighter springs - upgrading them later if you decide you need it.  Springs are not too expensive.
John Sawicky

Crusarius

you just need to get a bolt on torsion axle. you can get one with a cross tube or have 2 pieces. One mounted to each main rail.

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: Crusarius on March 27, 2020, 01:45:49 PM
you just need to get a bolt on torsion axle. you can get one with a cross tube or have 2 pieces. One mounted to each main rail.

I thought about that but was thinking that this type of axle was made for lighter trailer rigs.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Crusarius

I have a torsion under mine. works fine. It is a 3500# mostly because I had it laying around. They do have torsion axles under some 5-10k trailers. Chevy IFS used torsion bars for a very long time. Torsion axles are very good thing and very adaptable.

They now have 2 piece bolt on torsion axles so there is no cross tube. A little more cumbersome to setup properly but once done that should work great. If you do what I was planning on the next build and put a square tube into the frame then they are 1 pin removable.

Thank You Sponsors!