iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

You guys with flat roofs :D ;) Up here in NH the thing would be on the ground on the first storm.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

Fun this last week 10 ° cutting frozen Hemlock logs hard as a rock. The T7s did ok but, Dull faster. If you don't take the lumber off fast enuff the thing will freeze to the cant. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

randy d

I know what your talking about we were sawing pine 2x4 and they froze down to the cant real fast and its fun scarping off saw dust to. we use windshield washer fluid but it still freezes to the 2x4.  Randy

SawyerTed

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 24, 2021, 09:57:49 AM
You guys with flat roofs :D ;) Up here in NH the thing would be on the ground on the first storm.
Yes "flat" is relative.  The photo makes it look flatter than it is.  The roof has about 20" of fall in 14'.  We rarely get more than 6" of snow and none of it stays more than 2 or 3 days.  While this lean-to will hold up to our snow loads, it wouldn't where snow and ice accumulates over several weather events. There are hundreds of sheds like this built on tobacco barns just in Stokes County.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

If it gets cold enough and the sawdust freezes thick, I scrape it off in sheets. ;D

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Bruno of NH

You are right Peter
I used alot of blades this last week frozen logs add to the winter fun.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

busenitzcww

<
br>

Finally got back to the mill this year! Some 6/4 walnut and some pin oak slabs.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

great stuff... from Kansas!     8)  8)  8) 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

kelLOGg

A neighbor called me today to ask if I could saw cookies from spalted maple her husband got for firewood. I told her "yes" and I could do it now. As she approached me and my wife, I told my wife that I was going to bake saw some cookies for her. Two hours later I had this pic in my email. I'm still laughing.

(There is an electrical issue with the head feed so I had to push. That's my task for tomorrow)

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

longtime lurker

Not sawing last week - but finished lifting one of my sheds that came off second best in a Category 5 cyclone.

It's been a work in progress for a long time - as time and money permitted. It spent 6 years down in "sydney opera house" style with some pallets to stop it collapsing further.... which was really good in terms of self washing floors every time it rained but not good for much else.

I had every builder in like 100 mile here buying lumber at some point or other and looked at it and none of them knew where to start so it was either knock it down or do it ourselves. Now I'm not a builder.... but pallets, forklifts, dogs and chains and ratchet straps : I got general freighters covered.

I can now say that officially - it's nearly twice as strong as the original design. We do not wish to do this again in a hurry.

*No OH&S guys were consulted in the making of this post :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

tule peak timber

Awesome,,,,,,You are making me smile with your engineering solutions.We have the Disney concert hall here in Los Angeles with a twisted roof like yours. Keep up the good work ! Cheers WOC
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Patrick NC

Got a load of cedar today. Some are kinda small, but it's all worth sawing. Good thing is I've got an order for 4x4s. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

donbj

Quote from: longtime lurker on January 25, 2021, 08:18:06 AM
Not sawing last week - but finished lifting one of my sheds that came off second best in a Category 5 cyclone.

It's been a work in progress for a long time - as time and money permitted. It spent 6 years down in "sydney opera house" style with some pallets to stop it collapsing further.... which was really good in terms of self washing floors every time it rained but not good for much else.

I had every builder in like 100 mile here buying lumber at some point or other and looked at it and none of them knew where to start so it was either knock it down or do it ourselves. Now I'm not a builder.... but pallets, forklifts, dogs and chains and ratchet straps : I got general freighters covered.

I can now say that officially - it's nearly twice as strong as the original design. We do not wish to do this again in a hurry.

*No OH&S guys were consulted in the making of this post :D
Nice job! Thoughtful patient approach get's it done! Now a big sale on pallets coming up.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

WV Sawmiller

We were setting up a big circus style tent for employee billeting in Baghram Afghaniland and had a heavy snowfall that did the same thing to it. The only thing that kept it up was we had started staging the furniture and had a long row of 6' tall wardrobes along the outer walls on both sides and they held it up. Once occupied and the heat was on in the tents the snow would just melt off as quickly as it would fall. A contractor convinced the USAF foam insulation would be a great addition so they foamed a bunch about 2" thick. They ruined a bunch of A/Cs because they did not seal the vent fans and they got clogged and the next time it snowed the well insulated tents collapsed under the weight because it could not melt as per our original design. We finally had to tear all the foam off and ship it off the base because it was hazardous waste that we could not bury or burn.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Got in some new bands to add to the supply
Silvertips 7/39 × .055 I have lots of big logs coming up with wide cuts.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Larry

Finding good help anymore is really hard.  This one is on the small side but he has a big heart and doesn't eat much! :D

Got about 2,000 foot of yard tree walnut to work through than 1,000 board foot of really nice cherry logs.  Couple of the big walnut logs get live edge slabbed but the rest is all grade sawing.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Good looking help but I think Magicman might beg to differ from some of his past help 😂

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but Miz pat might vote for the pooch. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

He's wondering why there's no log on the mill.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Raym

After my portable sawing job last week, I am going to try and figure out how to do more of these.

One problem I have is keeping the lubemizer jets clean. They seem to always get clogged and isn't an issue when I'm sawing here because I just take them out and blow them out with compressed air.

Wasn't an option at customers site so I removed the jets and drilled them out to 5/64 (smallest bit I had). Will see how that does.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

DWyatt

Quote from: DWyatt on January 18, 2021, 09:01:44 AM
Fun weekend with Dad sawing some 2 1/2" beech slabs from some large "logs" for a customer and 3 poplar logs into 1x material for us. I didn't do a final tally of the poplar, but they made a lot of lumber. 2 of the logs could have been veneer quality and one was just a normal lumber log. Note the chunk of Beech that didn't get sawed in the background of the poplar picture ::) He said they were logs ::) I said hourly rate. The one poplar was the biggest log I have had on the mill and it was a pain in the butt. 12' long 28" small end and 38" large end, but it made some purdy lumber. I have 4 more poplar logs to pick up next weekend, having a neighbor who's a logger is convenient.

A little late, but Dad just sent me a picture of the huge poplar log loaded on the mill that I mentioned in my previous post. This is the biggest log I've milled to date, I don't wish to repeat it soon :D Except I have 2 @8' long that are this big that still need milled

Bruno of NH

My debarker swing motor shaft came in last night. 
Got it put in the motor this afternoon. Just need to put things back together at the mill.
Thanks @Marty Parsons

DPatton

:) I got a new circular saw blade in today :)

;D But it's not your standard issue 7 1/4" circular saw blade ;D. 

It's a little bigger. :D :D

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!