iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjross73

Had a few min before dark this evening,  the help wasn't too interested....

It had been a while since I had time to fire it up, the operator is maybe a little rusty.  Not pictured is the blade half way in the log that's on the mill. Good news is I stopped just before trimming a back stop, I'll work on getting it backed out of the cut tomorrow   ::)

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Walnut Beast

Magicman

Nothing exciting from me today.

Less than 1Mbf so minimum sawing rate.

10X10's and the side lumber made 2X8's, 10's, & 12's.  Well I did get a $100 tip so I guess that was excitement!!  Started sawing at ~1:00 and finished at 4:00.

If my customer can get a tailgunner, next week will be a three day, 55 mile road trip for a several times repeat customer.  We'll spend the nights at the Cabin.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 04, 2021, 07:09:03 PMSmoker wood is one of those things that will sit there a long time till the right person asks about it then he will come buy it all. I am tempted to save my hickory sawdust separate and see if it would sell for smokers.
I save my cherry, hickory and pecan planer chips for use on the grill.  We had London Broil over hickory for supper tonight.  
Caveman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on March 04, 2021, 09:47:23 PM
Nothing exciting from me today.

Less than 1Mbf so minimum sawing rate.

10X10's and the side lumber made 2X8's, 10's, & 12's.  Well I did get a $100 tip so I guess that was excitement!!  Started sawing at ~1:00 and finished at 4:00.

If my customer can get a tailgunner, next week will be a three day, 55 mile road trip for a several times repeat customer.  We'll spend the nights at the Cabin.  :)
Lynn,
    Shade can be exciting.  At least a positive.
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Sixacresand

Certainly a beautiful day for milling in this part of the country. Looks the same as Mississippi.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

KenMac

Was a good day to split firewood in Alabama. I let the mill rest. :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

firefighter ontheside

Trying to get logs that are closest to the mill sawed so I can be ready to work on a new idea I had.  I sawed some crooked cherry logs that have punky sapwood, but still some nice slabs.  I had some shortleaf pine logs sitting there too that had been there for a few years.  I had cut down the tree to make room for the mill carport.  Out of an 18" log all I could salvage was a 6x6 and even that had some bad spots.  Kinda made me sad that I had wasted such a nice log.  I wish I had more time for sawing and space for drying, then I wouldn't waste any logs.  That goes to my new project.  I'm going to use some pallet racks I have to build a shed, essentially connected to the sawmill shed.  I will use pallet racks for the structure on one end, a side and then have to put up a beam on the other end.  This will create stacking space for lumber, will better protect the mill from weather and will create a space to park either the tractor or the mule.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

I was quarantined from work for the last several days even though I tested negative last Friday evening.  We had several medical events in our family this week to deal with but in the interim, I got a little sawing done.  We worked through some longleaf logs that have been lying around a little too long so they were slabbed heavy and the burn pile has some thicker slabs in it.  Also, some Paroda (monkey ear) was sawn for a customer who showed up with more logs and no money to pay for his slabs...we made an amicable agreement and we  now have several paroda slabs to dry and sell.  My son in law and daughter picked up some pine to add a storage room on to their barn.  I told them if the blue stain pine did not suit them that I would saw something different but it is hung and they like it.  We also got some more pecan logs this week that we will saw on shares.  

Some of the logs I've sawn in the past few days have lain around too long and the boards they yielded ended up in the cull pile.  They will work for dunnage, pallets or various projects but it makes me ill that I let good logs deteriorate to this point.

Caveman

WDH

That blue pine looks good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny, it (blue stained pine) reminds me of the pine that you had that was used in the church a few years ago.  The kids are happy with it and I told them to get some 1x off of the cull pile to put a floor in that part of the barn.  Tomorrow I need to knock out some 4x4's and possibly cut some live edged slabs out of some pecan and paroda logs a guy dropped off a couple of days ago.

No sawing today.  I spent 8-5 snaring hogs so a vet could pull blood for brucellosis  and pseudorabies on hogs for a show that I'm on a committee for that will occur later in the month.
Caveman

kelLOGg

Wood bowl blanks. 
This is a follow-up on my post in General Woodworking about cutting blanks. See pic for various ways to hold the work down. Thanks to Ijohnsaw (New cookie cutting jig for manual mill in Sawmills and Milling (forestryforum.com)) for his jig which I copied.

Its a little hard to see below but there is an arm at 45 degrees to support the vertical limb for cookie sawing

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nebraska

@caveman  been there  done that, there's worse jobs, but its still not very fun.... It's  much better to be the one drawing the blood than running the snare.

Patrick NC

I did a mobile job this weekend 9 hours on Saturday and 3 hours Sunday. Tulip poplar for board and batten siding. Customer had a loader and 2 offbearers. Did 2700'. I didn't have to cut any battens as the customer said he would have his guys cut down some of the 10" boards on a table saw. We ran out of logs yesterday so I'm probably  going to go back on Thursday or Friday to saw some more. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

I am on a 60 mile road trip and today it was Walnut.

Yup, rugged looking and some have been down for a couple of years.

We kept plugging along.  My tailgunner seen here ready to work.

Today's yield.

All was sawn 4/4 and 12/4.  Only two Walnut logs left and they will be sawn 4/4. 

Tomorrow's logs will be Ash and then Red Oak Wednesday.  I think that there will be a few Sassafras logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patrick NC

Nice looking lumber. I've got a friend who saws walnut 5 days a week on a wm lt300. I can't even fathom how many bf a year. I've seen walnut logs much uglier than that on his yard. Sometimes the ugly ones saw out beautiful lumber. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Brad_bb

Hey @Magicman , I use the hollow ends or ends to make cat passageway covers that look natural.  I use about 1/3 of the log face about 20 or so inches long and if it doesn't have a natural opening, I create one.  I use my grinder disc carver to shape the hole and taper the top part into the wall.  It's then fasted to the wall over the cat opening.  I have about 8 pieces right now and just started carving. Just one thing those hollow pieces can be used for.  You could give the owner suggestions on what they can do with those pieces that you end up end cutting.  Also chair backs(for kids chairs), or a serving box/basket with handle.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Brad_bb, cat passageway's were not on this customer's cut list.  I got 4/4 lumber from all of them.  ;D

This is some of the Ash logs that I sawed today.

They were all sawn into wall paneling.

No picture of the logs but this is a whack of Sassafras 4/4 lumber.  The total sawing today scaled 1830 bf.

This whack of mostly Red Oak is all that is left to saw on this job.

PatD had this Prime NY Strip ready for me when I got back to the Cabin.   food3

Walnut Beast

Workin hard and eating good 👍

WV Sawmiller

Awful pretty wood there MM. I love sawing ash - the smell always reminds me of an old bee tree smell. I did not know we had it in the south growing up. I guess I just misidentified it.

I cut a large poplar tree and dragged it down to fill an order for my plumber for some 1X4 strips to go under a metal roof for a camper shed. The bulk will be for stock. 

I am loaded up now to go saw for probably the only Australian couple in our county. Should be a 1 maybe 2 day job. When done I may move 8 miles away and saw a bunch of 20'9" live edge logs for a timber frame extension if the lady has enough ready to saw. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on March 09, 2021, 07:27:35 PM
Brad_bb, cat passageway's were not on this customer's cut list.  I got 4/4 lumber from all of them.  ;D

This is some of the Ash logs that I sawed today.

They were all sawn into wall paneling.

No picture of the logs but this is a whack of Sassafras 4/4 lumber.  The total sawing today scaled 1830 bf.

This whack of mostly Red Oak is all that is left to saw on this job.

PatD had this Prime NY Strip ready for me when I got back to the Cabin.   food3
PatD gets a very honorable mention!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

alan gage

Quote from: burdman_22 on February 25, 2021, 08:24:11 PM
I truly hate posting pictures on here....no idea why these posted sideways as they're right side up on my computer.
@burdman_22  The answer is pretty simple once you understand the reasoning.

Inside your camera is a sensor that detects if the camera is turned vertical or horizontal. It tags this bit of information to the photograph. It works out really well when a piece of software (like the one on your computer) can read this extra bit of tagged information so that it automatically puts your photo in the right orientation as soon as you open it. Some software works with certain cameras and some software doesn't work with any cameras in that regard.

When you go to upload that picture from your computer to Forestryforum it passes that same bit of information along that says either 'horizontal' or 'vertical' but the problem is that the software here isn't able to read that information (or maybe it can from some cameras and not others) so it's unable to determine how the photo should be oriented so it just reverts to horizontal. That's why they appear correctly on your computer by wrong here.

Thankfully it's easy to rotate the photos in your gallery. Just click on the photo to open it and there should be arrows below that let you rotate.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Bruno of NH

Sawed up my first load for the new kiln when I get the chamber built.
5/4×12×12 clear poplar.
I figured this would be a good load to learn with.
It will air dry till the kiln is ready.
They are very nice boards 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I always love to see pictures of you plugging along Bruno.  smiley_thumbsup

I finished sawing this job at noon today, 6½ hours @ hourly rate and 2868 bf @ my bf. rate.

First up was one that got QS.

Kinda hard to get a picture but this was two 14" bookmatched QS boards.

Some of it was mighty purdy. 

Of course my Tailgunner looked mighty purdy too!!!   :D

WV Sawmiller

Geez, if I'd sawed about 2,000 more bf today I'd have caught up with the MM. I almost bet I sawed as many "logs", lots of them were 6' long and 6-8 inches in diameter.

I had an assortment of cherry, ash, cedar, wormy/ant ridden WP and even one walnut sneaked in there. The customer is Australian but fortunately I have worked around them and learned much of the language. :D

This was one awful cedar "Trident" the customer wanted to fill the spaces between the 3 forks with epoxy so  I laid them as them as flat as I could get them, shimmed under one branch and clamped then sawed in 3/4" drops till I got a flat surface with a 3 legs them flipped and clamped and ended up with 2-8/4 pieces that the customer was very pleased with.

At the end of the day I had 5.2 engine hours on the mill for the day's work. The awful pine I cut into dimensional 2X4 & 2X6 at 1.5" X 3.5" or 5.5". I would not have saved any of it if I had sawed it at home  but the customer was happy so I sawed what he asked. Rather than measure at the end of the day I just billed the minimum. About half the stuff was left live edge so on a typical "log" I seldom made more than 5-6 passes with  the mill.

I started the day with a county road closed about 7-8 miles from the customer so had to backtrack and added 20 or so more miles. The good thing is that I passed my next customer so on the way home, about 4:30 pm, I called, stopped and ended up leaving the mill there set up to start sawing 21' live edge cabin logs in the morning. You have to love a customer like her. I got there and she was wearing soot stained overalls and boiling a batch of maple sap down for syrup over a 55 gallon drum with firewood for heat while 4 children under 6 years old ran about the yard riding little electric 4 wheelers, sliding on a cable on a trolley. One was shooting a toy bow with his dad's target arrow with a max range of maybe 30'. Country kids have it so much better than their urban counterparts!

It was too near dark when I finished setting up to take a photo but we will be sawing in minutes in the morning.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!