iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

We have a mix of ERC and what I call Mountain Juniper.  East Texas has ERC and the Hill Country has Mountain Juniper.  Mountain Juniper is always sold under the name...........Cedar.  Majority of fence posts in the Hill Country (and my place) are Mountain Juniper.
Texas A&M Forest Service - Trees of Texas - List of Trees
My squirrels have stripped my piles of posts of all the bark to line their nests.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

123maxbars

I just sawed up a nice crotch Black Walnut that was saved from the Gatlinburg fires of 2016. See video below, 30in wide slabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7c2MOK5jQ&t=634s
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

firefighter ontheside

I'm gonna max out my saw on walnut that's been around for several years tomorrow.  Though it only takes 25" to max the LT15.  It will be big enough though.  This is gonna be a summer of sawing walnut.  I've got lots of logs to saw.  The power feed can't get here too soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

123, that walnut has shake in it and will get worse as it dries.  Can you sell a slab with that kind of defect? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

123maxbars

Quote from: Larry on March 28, 2021, 10:04:55 PM
123, that walnut has shake in it and will get worse as it dries.  Can you sell a slab with that kind of defect?
yeah noticed that also before sawing, the shake didn't go all the way up I don't think and also with the way these young woodworkers now a days love epoxy they are asking for defects in slabs instead of stable ones, crazy how that have gotten, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

tule peak timber

White fir this morning. I like white fir because it is very stable and I can also color it to meet most customers demands as millwork. We take slabs from the centers and cut building material from the rest for roofing planks and structural sticks.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bruno of NH

Set the mill up this morning so I can run the hydraulics when the mill head is anyplace on the rail.
This was a test hook up.
I will put the battery in a box and shorten the cables and add standard clamps.
At night a automatic charger will be hooked up. The cables enter the bottom of the pump box and hook to the ground and power with the proper connections.  

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mudfarmer

Supposed to be cutting 2x6 for someone else (my logs) — could not do it this one made two nice 6x8 posts out of the cant and I will go get some other log from the pile   :(

caveman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 29, 2021, 04:50:53 PMSet the mill up this morning so I can run the hydraulics when the mill head is anyplace on the rail.

John and I recently did this to our mill.  He and I have been busy with other endeavors over the past week and a half but this should make for a much more efficient operation.  It galls me to have to bring the carriage all the way back to un-clamp the bottom boards and drop the loading arms.  We have several orders to fill as soon as we have time and I look forward to this modification.  
Caveman

JRWoodchuck

Man Tule that's a large white fir! Do the ones down south stink like the ones up here in the north? A bit like pee
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Darrel

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on March 29, 2021, 10:24:28 PM
Man Tule that's a large white fir! Do the ones down south stink like the ones up here in the north? A bit like pee
In the Northern California it smelled worse than pee!  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

tule peak timber

Yes,this type of fir stinks and the sawdust causes an allergic reaction for me.It has terrific stability though and the discomfort is worth the price. White fir is great for box beams, takes finishes well, and the logs are relatively inexpensive.Is it my favorite wood? Heck no ! :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

boonesyard

Cut some very nice live edge flame boxelder last weekend that maxed out the saw width, the most figure wood we've cut to date. Very solid and no rot (which is rare for boxelder this old) and the slabs included flame, birds-eye, curl, crotch figure, solid bark inclusions and spalting. Should make for some beautiful projects.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

JRWoodchuck

Just checking didn't want to get to offensive with my words on the smells of white fir...
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

firefighter ontheside

Dang, I want some boxelder to mill.  It's everywhere along the rivers here, but I just can't get ahold of any.  Maybe I need to approach a farmer and see if hed let me cut some.  I live 1/4 mile from a river that's lined with it.

For now I have to make do with walnut.  Didn't mill any today, but did stack and sticker it under my deck which I'm sitting on right now.  I love the smell of walnut as it permeates through the deck boards.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Cutting more forty-eight inch 4x4 cribbing for my local welding shop owner.  

He uses it for blocking loads of completed welded projects on semi trucks.  It's a "nevertobeseenagain" type of thing.

I trade it out for welding jobs that are beyond my welding skills.  Otherwise, when I need a silk purse and not a sow's ear.
           hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

I'd say that you are making a very wise business deal.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

One of the guys who works for me is a very good welder.  He tried to show me how to do it and I was dreadful at it.  I can't understand how he sees what he's doing.  I would gladly trade some 4x4's for good welding when I needed it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2021, 08:01:25 AM
I'd say that you are making a very wise business deal.  smiley_thumbsup
Lynn,
          It is an ongoing deal, so it is even better.  For years he did stuff for me and I would ask, how much.  He always said it was nothing to worry about.  At least now, I don't worry about it.
        hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 31, 2021, 08:13:23 AM
One of the guys who works for me is a very good welder.  He tried to show me how to do it and I was dreadful at it.  I can't understand how he sees what he's doing.  I would gladly trade some 4x4's for good welding when I needed it.
FFOntheSide,
           I only weld on stuff that won't be highway use or look great at resale.   When I asked the guys on a welding forum about seeing the work, they told me to get better lighting.
Sometimes I think I am doing great, only to have welded off to the side.  Kinda like writing, back in school, and going below the line.  Was welding up a lawnmower pivot bracket once and thought it was good.  Until I flipped the helmet up to see I welded the rod end swivel also.  Tossed that in the scrap metal bucket. 
Kinda like making a sawdust pile bigger than your lumber pile!
                   hugs,  Brandi

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  I think I'll probably just stick to wood and leave the steel work to pros, unless it just involves drilling and bolting.  I can do that, its more like woodworking.

I went out today to do a little routine maintenance on the mill this morning.  When I went to adjust one of the bolts and jam nuts for the blade guide I discovered it was gone.  Guy at WM told me that particular one wasn't terribly important, but I feel like it wasn't good it was missing.  Gotta make a stop at the hardware store to see if I can find one instead of ordering from WM.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 31, 2021, 12:47:39 PM
Lol.  I think I'll probably just stick to wood and leave the steel work to pros, unless it just involves drilling and bolting.  I can do that, its more like woodworking.

I went out today to do a little routine maintenance on the mill this morning.  When I went to adjust one of the bolts and jam nuts for the blade guide I discovered it was gone.  Guy at WM told me that particular one wasn't terribly important, but I feel like it wasn't good it was missing.  Gotta make a stop at the hardware store to see if I can find one instead of ordering from WM.
The problem is, I like melting metal as much as making sawdust.  I got more diverse projects that Carter's has little liver pills. 
Check and tighten everything.  Did you pick up a new vibration?  Didn't you just change engines?
hugs,  Brandi

firefighter ontheside

Yes, new engine a couple months ago.  I just finished going thru everything.  Re-aligned the blade guides.  Checked all the other bolts and jam nuts.  I backed the blade roller guides off and reset them to make sure they were both pushing down on the blade correctly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I have 2 diopter reading lenses in my Jackson auto dark helmet.   :P
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

Quote from: doc henderson on March 31, 2021, 08:30:23 PM
I have 2 diopter reading lenses in my Jackson auto dark helmet.   :P
Did you order it that way or it an add on? I need the same.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!