iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

This is news to me. I did not know Alder ever got big enough to make lumber from. The ones I have seen are only about 6: diameter or less. I thought of it more as a bush than a tree. Thanks for the info.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DennisK

Cut a lot of Alder on Whidbey Island in the mid to late 70's and 80's, don't recall much Barber Polling. Cutting north from I-90 to Mount Vernon, was a bit different, we were more worried about scrub maple in glacial tilth hillsides, that stuff could fall, split in any of the 360 degrees of the hinge cut. we only cut in the rainy season, Oct-June. 6 week window for furniture grade Alder in spring.

Bruno of NH

Sawed some hard maple logs for the farmer up the road this morning. Then changed the oil and filter on the Kohler 38hp. I do it every 100 hrs .
Wix filter and synthetic 5w-30 for winter.
Then I put this 40+" butt log 14'long on the mill and made some nice 34" to 16" wide live edge 2" thick. I haven't made any since last spring.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

The red alder in the West is a different species than our little hazel alder that grows on the margins of ponds and wet areas.  They are both in the birch family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Alder cut this morning.

I will end up as a door like this one later this year.

Shelves, tables, entertainment centers, wall panel,and on and on. As I said- I use a lot of it.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

firefighter ontheside

I had 2 bits of great news today.  First, Woodmizer called me this morning and told me my new engine should be shipped tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll be back to sawing in a week.  The second bit of news was that I get my first covid shot tomorrow.  That relates to sawmilling because it is the first step in my dad and I getting back to worry free working together.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

@firefighter ontheside  I thought your first bit of good news was that you were getting the new engine for free.  ;D ;D

Right now I've got an head to exhaust manifold gasket that is leaking.  19HP gas Kohler on my LT15go.  I can hear the exhaust leak clearly.  It started back in Mid Oct.  But I've only milled about 20 days since.  I thought it was at one of the exhaust pipe connections, but yesterday I wrapped those joints with exhaust pipe tape, and only then could I see that it was at the head.  Gaskets should show up tomorrow.  Hopefully it's just the gasket as I can't see any sign of a crack, and my power is not reduced while milling.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

The Bobcat sales rep customer Saturday might have to be rescheduled for rain.  

But I ended up with jobs yesterday, today and Friday.   I like local jobs. 

Yesterday was about 900 bf of ash in 3 big logs and about 20 little ones.  Plus some 4-6" cedar.   12 miles away.

Today is content of a walnut tree I havent heard how much.  24 mi away. 

Friday is a stack of oak logs that have been completely debarked.  I don't understand but I will understand when I get there. Sometimes it saves time not to ask too many questions.  48 mile drive.

Then Sat if the rain shifts into the night.  Forget what he's got but it's all day.  33 miles.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

Dennis
Are you looking at a mini skid?
My friend that has a tree service has a bobcat mt55 he likes it .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 14, 2021, 05:52:00 AMI don't understand but I will understand when I get there. Sometimes it saves time not to ask too many questions.
That is generally when I ask for texted pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I do have texted pictures and I still don't understand it. :-\ I'll find out tomorrow morning. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Bruno I am not actively looking. I'm going to ask the bobcat guy Saturday about it.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 14, 2021, 01:02:46 PM
I do have texted pictures and I still don't understand it. :-\ I'll find out tomorrow morning.
The job went well today with the "debarked" logs.  They were indeed de-barked, white oak logs about 6 months down, he used a spud to scrape them all completely free of bark.  That's what all the lines and furrows were on the logs in the pictures he sent which I didn't understand. 
Sawed um and left um.   :)

DPatton

Ive been doing a little sawing to stock up on what I have available for sale. I've had numerous calls for fireplace mantles this past year so I've decided to cut some and get them started drying. The mantles below are black oak. 

and I cut these out of an old and surprisingly dry elm log, but I'm certain that a little clear finish will really make the grain and color pop.

I've been keeping the extra stock that I trim off of the back edge to sell with the mantle for corbel or cornice material.
Also stocking up on my selection of 5/4" boards. These ash boards will surely please some customers eye.

Tomorrow I have a custom fire place mantle order to saw out of the knottiest, gnarliest black oak log that I have. It needs to be a minimum of 6' long x 5" thick x 14" deep with a live front edge.
Sunday I will travel 37 miles to custom saw 10+ walnut logs into wide live edge slabs. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Dave Shepard

Milled some 1x12 roofers that were too nice to be roofers. Next week I'm back on timbers for a horse barn. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

caveman

We started off this morning sawing bald cypress and finished up sawing sycamore.  This is a sycamore log we got a couple of months ago and we wanted to quartersaw it.  Most of our cuts hit very good figure.
We have it on stickers on top of the quartersawn oak from last weekend.  If it dries flat we should be in good shape.

Caveman

Southside

Well it was sawn a bit ago and came out of the kiln the other day, finished it through the moulder today, 1500 square foot, ship lap, accent wall.  Ended up with 16 species of wood in it, he wanted contrast and character and I think we got it.  Clear red oak and walnut, coffee stained white pine, denim SYP, colored gum, Mulberry, Ash, Polonia, and a bunch more.  Really looking forward to seeing it installed.  

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

WDH

Kyle, that sycamore is stunning.  

Chris Jim, that accent wall is going to be very attention grabbing and unique. Just like you ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thanks, Danny.  I sawed the top 4' of the butt log that we quartersawed yesterday into live edged slabs today.  The two narrowest ones (bench width) have some nice spalting and ambrosia beetle holes and the eight wide ones were oriented to squeeze between the guides to leave two live edges.  

Jim, I look forward to seeing a pic of the finished wall.  It should be pretty cool.
Caveman

Cjross73

A little SYP on a nice day, 50s in Jan 

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Patrick NC

Sawed 500 bf of cedar this afternoon. Took about 2 hours. I sure do like having power feed!😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

DPatton

Another day of sawing wide, live edge, black walnut slabs.

Nine hours from arrival to ready to travel home. Eight brand new Kasco 4° Blades :-\ :( :-\. The blade usage was a bit extreme today. Logs were frozen with plenty of dirt and grit in the bark ( my next mill will have a debarker). Found two logs with with multiple (3 and 4) nails each in them. None the less it was a good, enjoyable day.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Thanks WDH and Caveman - customer picked it up today and we had to hand load it onto his fender sided trailer.  Normally that would annoy me to no end but it allowed the material to be shuffled and laid out somewhat to how it will look on the wall.  The customer sat there and kept taking photos and texting them to his buddies, he promised me photos when it is up.  I will share them.  Hoping it will open a new line for me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!