iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadloc411

Well on Friday the 15th I was part of a group that got let go from my full time job, so the sawmill which was more of a hobby that made a bit of money became my full time job, and I started advertising Saturday. From that I have one job,12000 bf of hemlock starting here the 1st of February, then a one day job sawing some cherry, probably a week maybe 2 sawing out hemlock 1" lumber for siding, he might have another week sawing poplar for lumber for haywagons. Working on lining up a job sawing out lumber for a 30x40 pole barn, and a job resawing oak timbers to 1" and 2" lumber. So already have probably 4x the work I did last year, just my second year of sawing.

WV Sawmiller

I am sorry to hear your regular job ended but am glad to see the sawing fallback seems to be falling into place for you. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hadloc411

I bought the sawmill hoping that I would one day be able to go back to being self employed, I used to be a dairy farmer, but wasn't expecting it to be this year. In some ways I think this was the push I needed to go self employed again, I have a couple of weeks before that first job, and have to get the lights working on the mill and a couple other small things to fix on it before it's ready to really make some sawdust.

petefrom bearswamp

No sawing here since last August when I sold the mill.
Do I miss it? yeah a little.
Now i dont even "saw wood" at night since i got my cpap machine
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DWyatt

Fun weekend with Dad sawing some 2 1/2" beech slabs from some large "logs" for a customer and 3 poplar logs into 1x material for us. I didn't do a final tally of the poplar, but they made a lot of lumber. 2 of the logs could have been veneer quality and one was just a normal lumber log. Note the chunk of Beech that didn't get sawed in the background of the poplar picture ::) He said they were logs ::) I said hourly rate. The one poplar was the biggest log I have had on the mill and it was a pain in the butt. 12' long 28" small end and 38" large end, but it made some purdy lumber. I have 4 more poplar logs to pick up next weekend, having a neighbor who's a logger is convenient.

Crossroads

I've not made any sawdust in a couple weeks between the snow and to much OT at the day job. Only so many hours in the day. Thinking about taking up telemarketing to sell extended vehicle Warrenty. Whatcha think? 😋 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on January 18, 2021, 11:41:19 AMThinking about taking up telemarketing to sell extended vehicle Warrenty. Whatcha think?
I think that you made your first call yesterday and I didn't want it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Gotcha to answer, that's half the battle. Lol. Glad you picked up, I really enjoyed chatting with you....

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

GAB

Quote from: Crossroads on January 18, 2021, 11:41:19 AM
I've not made any sawdust in a couple weeks between the snow and to much OT at the day job. Only so many hours in the day. Thinking about taking up telemarketing to sell extended vehicle Warrenty. Whatcha think? 😋
Me thinks u need to get a dictionary.
If I c an ad with misspelled words I immediately think 3rd world scam.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

Well, my sawmill engine is now in the same city as me.  That's a good sign.  Trying to get them to deliver it to me at work instead of waiting til im at home on wednesday.  I'm guessing theyll deliver it to me tomorrow.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

I got a ups app on my phone which shows exactly where the little brown truck is on a map.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

richhiway

Quote from: Hadloc411 on January 17, 2021, 11:21:12 PM
I bought the sawmill hoping that I would one day be able to go back to being self employed, I used to be a dairy farmer, but wasn't expecting it to be this year. In some ways I think this was the push I needed to go self employed again, I have a couple of weeks before that first job, and have to get the lights working on the mill and a couple other small things to fix on it before it's ready to really make some sawdust.
good luck. If you had cows you know how to work hard so cutting lumber should be a breeze. Just make sure you charge enough to make a good profit. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

Quote from: GAB on January 18, 2021, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 18, 2021, 11:41:19 AM
Me thinks u need to get a dictionary.
If I c an ad with misspelled words I immediately think 3rd world scam.
GAB
I'm in trouble, I can't spell. I guess I better settle in working for a living. I'm a terrible salesman anyway 🤓

Blackgreyhounds

I had a nice red oak and white oak die in my forest recently, so I dropped and bucked them.  Then, I harvested a couple of the best dead standing chestnut oaks to make a full day's worth of milling.  We wound up with 2,200+ bf of 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4.  Some of it was really nice, wide and clear and some was marginal.  Surprisingly, the chestnut oak was the clearest, even up to the 3rd and 4th logs (8' each).  As usual, I hired in a local miller who knocked all of this out in ~6 hr on his LT40 Super with just me as support. If I could have gotten another helper to offbear, it would have gone faster.

Chestnut oak

White Oak

Red Oak

Turd White Oak boards

The crummy white oak boards were taken by my wife to make planters and a cold frame for the gardens, so they will not go to waste.

Nicely stacked and stickered, still needs a little more weight on top.

WDH

Some of my customers prefer the knotty wood.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenMac

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2021, 07:00:10 AM
Some of my customers prefer the knotty wood.  
The word "rustic" is very much in play these days!!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

One of my former students and a many time repeat customer sent me a cut list for cypress on Friday.  I called him and asked if he wanted clear or knotty boards.  He preferred knotty which worked out really well because all of our clear logs are in the pond and it was cold by my standards Friday afternoon.   We had some knotty, yard grown cypress logs that a tree service dropped off a while back that were easily accessed.  We sawed them Saturday morning before quartersawing the big sycamore.

Yesterday morning we sawed some of WDH's favorite  smiley_devil .  I like the way it looks but it has presented challenges.  We were only able to saw it flat by flooding the blade with spindle lube and sawing slower than slow using a 4° 1.5" blade.  The short crotch log was the most challenging of the sawing session to orient and saw but we did get a couple of cool pieces out of it.

These bookmatched short slabs are about 24" wide.
Caveman

Andries

Well, WDH might not be in love with the smiley_devilwood, but it looks like you've got a handle on it.
Nice grain, colours, and cuts!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

In between pine barn siding and red pine framing lumber.
I put on this old beech log i had kicking around. It was spalted and rustic. I sawed it 5/4 and got some 11" wide x 8'long boards.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

Well, so much for getting my engine at work.  It spent 3 days here in the town where I work.  They wouldn't bring it to me because they never got in writing from WM to allow a different shipping location.  Then today, they sent the engine 30 miles away to some other company that does actual delivery.  That place would not deliver til Thursday, so I'm driving up there tomorrow after work to get the thing.  The good news is that I SHOULD have my engine tomorrow.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Kyle, those are exceptional, but now, somebody has got to plane them, and it really helps if the customer likes cracks  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Epoxy is in and we can only plane up to 20", so it will hopefully be someone else's baby.  I had no idea what we were getting into when we started talking about buying a band sawmill in 2009.  It has been a slippery slope.
Caveman

Raym

It's harvest day....film at 11

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

firefighter ontheside

Well, I have an engine and its in place, but not hooked up.  It lines up perfectly with holes that were already in the mounting plate.  I got the new drive side wheel on and the new belt on.  Tomorrow I need to drill some holes and mount the new gas tank and then route the gas lines.  It looked a little daunting at first, but theres a lot of parts in the kit that I will not need.  It also came with parts to upgrade the lift mechanism.  I'm not sure that I'll install that.  It will change it so that one full turn on the handle is 2" of raise instead of the 4" that I have now.  The kit also came with another bracket and lube jug exaclty the the same as what I already have.  Will just save that for spare.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DPatton

R

5" x 6' live edge black oak fireplace mantle ready to be picked up by it's new owner.

The extra stock 5" x 6" piece to the right will be used to make cornices or corbels for the mantle piece.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!