iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

That is a nice one.  Have you had any trouble with selling them green?  I only sell them dried and sterilized but it takes several years to do that. My oak ones always split and crack badly at the pith.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I sell quite a lot of walnut mantels.  I do not sell them green, but I also do not kiln dry them either.  I like to let them dry about a year and let people know just what they're getting.  I just saw someone on local FB trying to sell a freshly milled cherry mill about the size of that one for $450.  Apparently it has a gold core or has diamonds inset.  I price them based very fairly, but still make good money on a log that I otherwise would not have milled into lumber.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

What am I sawing today?  I finished the cut that I was making over a month ago when my engine went south for the winter.  Got the engine installed and the gas tank installed.  Tracking is a little off from what it was now that I have a new drive side wheel.  It's nothing significant.  The blade is tracking just a little too close to the shoulder on the back of the guide bearings.  I'll either adjust the bearings or the tracking.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Today just as I was about to get into 4 big pine logs with frozen mud and ice on them.
The shaft on the debarker swing motor broke.
Called Woodmizer Pa. and have one on the way.
Ice on logs can be a pain.
I'm filling a big pine 1x8 order .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Resonator

On the recent Poplar sawing job I did, I set up close enough to home to plug in my kerosene torpedo heater and use it to melt the snow-ice-mud off. When I would have one log cleaned and sawing on the mill, I'd have the next one "pre-heating" on the tractor forks ready to load. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

tule peak timber

Everyone is working in the shop today on various jobs but took a break to unload some grafted walnut logs.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Walnut Beast

Patrick NC

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 22, 2021, 04:26:13 PM
Today just as I was about to get into 4 big pine logs with frozen mud and ice on them.
The shaft on the debarker swing motor broke.
Called Woodmizer Pa. and have one on the way.
Ice on logs can be a pain.
I'm filling a big pine 1x8 order .
I've also got a nice order for pine 1x8s and 1x10s. Probably not as big as your order, but enough for me. 4000bf. I'm going to try to saw about 3000 this weekend and finish the rest next week. I've got 500' of white oak trailer decking and 1000' of 4/4 cedar to get out in the next couple weekends. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

firefighter ontheside

I milled for the first time in a month.  Milled some very pretty american elm.  Made some nice straight 8/4 live edge slabs.  Mill ran great.  Also turned some less than nice kiln dried maple into nice stickers.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on January 21, 2021, 06:47:24 AM
That is a nice one.  Have you had any trouble with selling them green?  I only sell them dried and sterilized but it takes several years to do that. My oak ones always split and crack badly at the pith.  
Danny, this is the first one I've sold. The client contacted me looking for 5" thickness. I specifically let them know I didn't have anything that thick in dry stock material but I could do 2 1/2" in dry stock. So they asked if I could custom cut one. I said yes I can but it won't be dry. That didn't seem to matter and they still wanted it so upon receiving their deposit I cut it. They were informed to expect it to do some checking, cracking, and moving around. I made four others out of the same knotty, gnarly log. I will not be advertising them until they have dried. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

doc henderson

Cottonwood is the Kansas state tree.  made some stock for my standard pallets today.

enough top wood to make 10 pallets if it dries ok.  will make the bottoms from a number of shorter logs.  I make my pallets 42 inches wide, and space them 18 inches from base to base.  I have 6 footers and 9 footers.  these boards are on a pallet made of hackberry.  the flitches go on the firewood cradle to cut for fun firewood for fire pits and fireplaces.  I had a 1 inch board that I cut into stickers.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raym

I'm not accustomed to portable sawing but got a call from a friend who needed a days worth of sawing. I quoted him pricing and off we went. 90 mile trip one way to his farm. A variety of "stuff" that included some white pine that will be used for Windsor chair seats, some walnut (but looks like butternut because it was so light). We were walking around looking at the different logs to be sawn and we turned the corner and there was a RO log 40"ish and about 35' to a large crotch. He asked what we should do with that and my reply was "worms gotta eat to". Needless to say that log didn't move.....

His brother had some logs that he wanted framing 2x6 cut from. Some unknowns except for one large RO that sawed like butter and a large hickory that was so difficult to saw I came close to packing it up after the first cut. I would like to be around when someone tries to drive a nail in that stuff.

All in all it was a fun day, (long day, big check) and the only issues I had was I forgot to lower the travel pin and almost sawed it but caught myself. Also almost sawed into one of the backstops but again caught myself. I kinda feel like I cheated all of the onlookers of the excitement when the blades zings like it does. Oh well, maybe next time.

Now I understand what MM means by saws'em and leaves'em because it sure was nice to hook up and drive away and not have to worry about any cleanup or stickering and stacking.

Beautiful farm. Even though I was in the shade and chilly, at least the wind was at my back.

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Bruno of NH

Great work Doc and Raym
I got 4 hickory logs to saw.
They came in on a load of logs I bought.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

Doc, do you use the pallets for drying?  That cottonwood looks just like some logs I almost bought as butternut.   >:(  The guy has one ad still trying to sell it as butternut and another ad selling it as cherry firewood.

I can't believe I have never milled any hickory.  It's everywhere around me.  No one has brought one to be milled.  I want to cut some, I just don't have any logs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

yes.  these are like several others here use.  I did a thread to help me develop a standard.  I use regular pallets a lot since I have forks, for the smaller odd stuff.  these fit the bill for being able to stack several high bunks of wood, to help weight the lower stuff down.  my pallet are 42 inches wide as that matches my forks.  I have a short version that is 6 foot 2 inches.  and a 9 foot 2 inch version.  the spacing is the same so the bolsters for a column if stacked.  I have some copper naphtholate to roll on the bottoms to resist decay.  this is a tree we just took down.  very wet wood with over 100% MC.  water came out of the wood as I cut it.  it saws easy, despite tension.  the wood is 10 feet long and the ends will all be trimmed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I will post t
<br

cottonwood for trailer decking a few years back.>

doc henderson

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Quote from: WDH on January 23, 2021, 08:31:48 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 23, 2021, 07:43:27 AMI got 4 hickory logs to saw.
smiley_devil
I have sawn it once with 10° bands when I first started
I have 7° and t7° 
Frost notch 
Which should I use ?

Bruno of NH

The 10° stunk on it .
That's all I had when I got my firsts mill not knowing.

firefighter ontheside

I found out today that the guy who has always sharpened my planer and jointer knives can also sharpen my sawmill blades.  I think I will at least try him and see how it goes.  I've been hearing that turn around with woodmizer has been very slow and the WM dealer in MO that used to do resharp  doesn't do it anymore.  I can just drive them over and pick them up when done.  Of course, I'll be losing the ability to get replacements at a discount when blades can't be sharpened.  I think the price per blade is the same for sharpening.  I hope I save enough on shipping to make it worthwhile.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

Just finished the 9th job of 2021 today.   1220 BF of RO/ash and a half hour slicing 30" red oak cookies 4" thick about 8 of them. 

Nothing booked ahead but about 6 other customers threatening to call so will probably have a few more jobs before end of month. 

Might be most active January ever. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

2 sales today from FB market place and 2 more orders added to the list. It will be the busiest January ever for me.

randy d

We have been selling 2x4x8' sold out twice  the most we have ever sold. Randy

SawyerTed

I'm finally sawing some lumber for my own projects.

4x6 posts, 2x6x14' rafters and 1x5 s for sheathing for the metal roof.

Took 1 day (about 3 hours) to set the posts and header and one day (5 hours) to set the rafters and do the sheathing.  The only real problem is the cost of the metal roofing!  Cha Ching $$$$! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!