The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??  (Read 105041 times)

Online Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2021, 06:23:39 AM »
Gotcha, thanks for that.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »
The screen is fine, just covered in snow. It was coming down faster than it looks in the pic. Extra battery is for unclamping when the head is at the other end of the mill. Battery is new, and it started great, even at 20*F.
Dave 
How's the extra battery hooked up ?
I'm interested in it.
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Online Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »
Extra battery is for unclamping when the head is at the other end of the mill. 
When I get into trouble on the far end, I hook up jumper cables from the truck battery or riding mower to power the hydraulics.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2021, 09:50:26 AM »
I always carry a battery "jump box" in my truck.  It's an older version of this which also has an air compressor:  LINK. It's a simple matter to clip it to the power strip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
I ran cables up into the battery box and attached to the appropriate ground and power lugs. The connections at the battery are wing  nuts, so I can quickly unhook when I'm done. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
I picked up this walnut log today.  It strained my log loader the most i've seen.  Calculator said it should have weighed about 2,000 lbs.  It's 12' long and about 22" diameter.  I think I will be cutting it either in half or as an 8 and a 4 for the mill.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  The 4' piece would have a bunch of crotch figure in it.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
When I get into trouble on the far end, I hook up jumper cables from the truck battery or riding mower to power the hydraulics.
I donít understand, why do you need the extra battery when the cutting head is at the other end of the mill?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »
I had an eventful afternoon.  53 mile road trip and the (repeat) customer could not be at the sawing location until 12:00 so I left home at 11:00.  

One of my tailgunners was waiting.

Five 6' ERC logs and two 8' Pecan logs.

Yes, the largest Pecan log had a 40" butt.  Thankfully I was able to hang part of it out of the cantilever and saw it without any chainsaw Bibbying.

ERC and the ends of some Pecan slabs on the left.

My customer on the right watches as the two tailgunners wait for me to adjust the log with a Magic Hook and the sawmill log clamp.  The stump seen just above the Logrite Cant hook on the right might be familiar so some.

The above 3 pictures taken in November, 2018, give a closer look.  :D

Mostly 1" lumber from the butt log and 2" & 3" slabs from the second log.  The remainder of the first log is seen beyond the sawmill and was abandoned after the second nail strike.

It was a productive (hourly rate) afternoon and the customer tipped me $20.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2021, 12:22:59 AM »
I donít understand, why do you need the extra battery when the cutting head is at the other end of the mill?
You don't have hydraulics unless the carriage is on the power strip, which is about five feet long at the head end of the  mill. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »
My Thursday's customer LINK called me this morning.  "I have something for you that I made out of the cedar that you sawed". 

We met at the hardware store....

A neat ERC platter for PatD.

I sawed it on the 28th.

And he made it yesterday.  :)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
MM,

Awful purty platter. I hope Miz Pat enjoys it. We'll expect to see it soon with some BBQ or grilled redfish on it for accent.

Still too cold and miserable up here to saw. We have about 3" of crusty melted down snow on the ground. I charged my cell phone and took my WM manual, and toolbox out to the mill to see if I could figure out the gremlin that got hold of my debarker which had quit working recently. I waited till after lunch so I could call the WM gurus for troubleshooting help if needed. I shook most of the snow off the cover and removed it, put the key in and turned it on and set the speed control to full stop and locked the power feed toggle in forward position, then wiggled the wires in the control box with the breaker. I had already checked the connections to the motor last time I was out there and they looked good. When I wiggled the right wire the debarker blade started spinning so I had narrowed it down to something in the box. I removed the plate and it was obvious immediately. The little wire to the solenoid had broken at the ring connector. I looked but did not have that size connector so I stripped the wire about 3/4" and wrapped it around the solenoid post and tightened the nut back in place. It works fine now and I'll pick up some more ring connectors the next time I go to town and make a proper fix instead of a temporary patch.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2021, 05:44:09 PM »
I sawed more short walnut chunks today.  One of them must have had barbed wire in it.  I hit something and removed it and then scanned the log and found more metal.  I chiseled down to find it, but it just kept going down into the log.

I also stacked some sassafras that I milled a while ago, but never got around to stacking properly.  I like the winter when it doesn't mold if I don't stack and sticker right away.  I wish you could smell the pictures, because the odor is amazing.  

I'm gonna mill a bunch of ERC tomorrow.  I picked up about 20 logs for $20 a few weeks ago.  I will probably saw it all into 1x6, except for a few 2x6 that I need to replace some stair treads going off of my deck into the backyard.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2021, 10:40:09 PM »
Magicman- It took me a bit to make the connection between those different sets of photos. Several minutes were spent wondering what in the world they did when they tried to drop the tree. Felling by the learn-as-you-go method?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »
Yup, same customer, same location, and that stump is still there.  :D  The funny thing was that the tree fell toward the "smile".  Well maybe funny or maybe not but at least no one was killed.  The stump is visible with Google Earth.  :o

Offline Greyhound

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2021, 10:59:15 PM »
Working up a whack of tulip poplar.  Still have a 36" DBH tree to drop, buck, and skid to this pile.

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2021, 07:17:29 AM »
Delivered these to a friend that deals with stave logs. 

The bigger 12 footer in the middle went to the trailer decking pile, but the other 3 got me $500! 
Not bad for free logs. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
I milled a 30 inch 20 foot long SYP.  Yesterday.  I was cutting a 6x16 beam for a door header, but left it at 7x17 until for now.  It also gave me 3 full dimension 2x12s and 3 nominal sized 2x12s.

I had to bibby it also.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »
nicely done, well stacked and organized.  you should be an aeronautical mechanic!  good skills cross over.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2021, 04:14:21 PM »
Sawing rustic white pine again. I had to pull a guy off firewood today to get some stuff out quicker today.
It's snowed most of the day just enough to make it fun  :D

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »
I'd enjoy sawing in the snow.  Might get that chance this coming week, if its not too cold.  I'll say too cold is less than 15.  That might mean a late start to sawing in the morning.  I have some ERC to saw and an order for some white oak 1x6.  Not a ton, but I'd sure like to get it done.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

79 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
by farmfromkansas