iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I picked up this walnut log today.  It strained my log loader the most i've seen.  Calculator said it should have weighed about 2,000 lbs.  It's 12' long and about 22" diameter.  I think I will be cutting it either in half or as an 8 and a 4 for the mill.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  The 4' piece would have a bunch of crotch figure in it.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DPatton

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 02, 2021, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 01, 2021, 11:07:53 PM
Extra battery is for unclamping when the head is at the other end of the mill.
When I get into trouble on the far end, I hook up jumper cables from the truck battery or riding mower to power the hydraulics.
I don't understand, why do you need the extra battery when the cutting head is at the other end of the mill?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

I had an eventful afternoon.  53 mile road trip and the (repeat) customer could not be at the sawing location until 12:00 so I left home at 11:00.  

One of my tailgunners was waiting.

Five 6' ERC logs and two 8' Pecan logs.

Yes, the largest Pecan log had a 40" butt.  Thankfully I was able to hang part of it out of the cantilever and saw it without any chainsaw Bibbying.

ERC and the ends of some Pecan slabs on the left.

My customer on the right watches as the two tailgunners wait for me to adjust the log with a Magic Hook and the sawmill log clamp.  The stump seen just above the Logrite Cant hook on the right might be familiar so some.

The above 3 pictures taken in November, 2018, give a closer look.  :D

Mostly 1" lumber from the butt log and 2" & 3" slabs from the second log.  The remainder of the first log is seen beyond the sawmill and was abandoned after the second nail strike.

It was a productive (hourly rate) afternoon and the customer tipped me $20.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Quote from: DPatton on February 02, 2021, 08:47:51 PM
Quote from: Sixacresand on February 02, 2021, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 01, 2021, 11:07:53 PM
Extra battery is for unclamping when the head is at the other end of the mill.
When I get into trouble on the far end, I hook up jumper cables from the truck battery or riding mower to power the hydraulics.
I don't understand, why do you need the extra battery when the cutting head is at the other end of the mill?
You don't have hydraulics unless the carriage is on the power strip, which is about five feet long at the head end of the  mill. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

My Thursday's customer LINK called me this morning.  "I have something for you that I made out of the cedar that you sawed". 

We met at the hardware store....

A neat ERC platter for PatD.

I sawed it on the 28th.

And he made it yesterday.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Awful purty platter. I hope Miz Pat enjoys it. We'll expect to see it soon with some BBQ or grilled redfish on it for accent.

Still too cold and miserable up here to saw. We have about 3" of crusty melted down snow on the ground. I charged my cell phone and took my WM manual, and toolbox out to the mill to see if I could figure out the gremlin that got hold of my debarker which had quit working recently. I waited till after lunch so I could call the WM gurus for troubleshooting help if needed. I shook most of the snow off the cover and removed it, put the key in and turned it on and set the speed control to full stop and locked the power feed toggle in forward position, then wiggled the wires in the control box with the breaker. I had already checked the connections to the motor last time I was out there and they looked good. When I wiggled the right wire the debarker blade started spinning so I had narrowed it down to something in the box. I removed the plate and it was obvious immediately. The little wire to the solenoid had broken at the ring connector. I looked but did not have that size connector so I stripped the wire about 3/4" and wrapped it around the solenoid post and tightened the nut back in place. It works fine now and I'll pick up some more ring connectors the next time I go to town and make a proper fix instead of a temporary patch.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I sawed more short walnut chunks today.  One of them must have had barbed wire in it.  I hit something and removed it and then scanned the log and found more metal.  I chiseled down to find it, but it just kept going down into the log.

I also stacked some sassafras that I milled a while ago, but never got around to stacking properly.  I like the winter when it doesn't mold if I don't stack and sticker right away.  I wish you could smell the pictures, because the odor is amazing.  

I'm gonna mill a bunch of ERC tomorrow.  I picked up about 20 logs for $20 a few weeks ago.  I will probably saw it all into 1x6, except for a few 2x6 that I need to replace some stair treads going off of my deck into the backyard.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Clark

Magicman- It took me a bit to make the connection between those different sets of photos. Several minutes were spent wondering what in the world they did when they tried to drop the tree. Felling by the learn-as-you-go method?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Magicman

Yup, same customer, same location, and that stump is still there.  :D  The funny thing was that the tree fell toward the "smile".  Well maybe funny or maybe not but at least no one was killed.  The stump is visible with Google Earth.  :o

Greyhound

Working up a whack of tulip poplar.  Still have a 36" DBH tree to drop, buck, and skid to this pile.

Patrick NC

Delivered these to a friend that deals with stave logs. 

The bigger 12 footer in the middle went to the trailer decking pile, but the other 3 got me $500! 
Not bad for free logs. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

TimW

I milled a 30 inch 20 foot long SYP.  Yesterday.  I was cutting a 6x16 beam for a door header, but left it at 7x17 until for now.  It also gave me 3 full dimension 2x12s and 3 nominal sized 2x12s.

I had to bibby it also.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

nicely done, well stacked and organized.  you should be an aeronautical mechanic!  good skills cross over.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Sawing rustic white pine again. I had to pull a guy off firewood today to get some stuff out quicker today.
It's snowed most of the day just enough to make it fun  :D

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

I'd enjoy sawing in the snow.  Might get that chance this coming week, if its not too cold.  I'll say too cold is less than 15.  That might mean a late start to sawing in the morning.  I have some ERC to saw and an order for some white oak 1x6.  Not a ton, but I'd sure like to get it done.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

FFOTS, yeah, um sure, c'mon up and play on my mill. It'll be fun!

But first, you have to find it. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DPatton

Our forecast says single digit highs and subzero lows all next week for me. The saw is going to stay parked at home.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

Everything was going along just fine, and then............from the right side to the left side, something changed :D. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Nailed it.  It looks like your blade kept cutting flat with a tooth out of set.  Blades are the best metal detectors.
Caveman

DPatton

Danny, when you run that thru the planer the lines will run the other way :D :D ;D.

D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

:D :D Exactly!  You can use a bandsaw blade as a metal detector, but never a planer :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

From right to left and from the nail on down.  Lol.

Don't think I wouldn't enjoy it OG.  I didn't get to go skiing this year, I am really needing some snow in my life.  Supposed to get 2" tomorrow.  Of course I'm at work...the only time I don't really enjoy snow.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

Quote from: WDH on February 05, 2021, 10:43:25 PM
:D :D Exactly!  You can use a bandsaw blade as a metal detector, but never a planer :).
My blades will even help lower backstops and loosen clamps! 🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

olcowhand

Quote from: WDH on February 05, 2021, 10:28:43 PM
Everything was going along just fine, and then............from the right side to the left side, something changed :D.  

Danny,
I find this pic fascinating, as it teaches me a little bit about "Speeds & Feeds". As most of you know, I don't (yet) own a sawmill- I use a CSM. Your pic tells me that (not sure how wide the piece is, but assuming it's in the 6" range) the band makes one full revolution for every ~3/4" of travel... That is humming right along. My CSM wouldn't surprise me to find the same tooth on the 32" bar making contact with the piece about every 1/8". So I can complete my calculations, how wide was your work piece- and was it Softwood or Hardwood?
DanG, I've got to get me a Bandsaw Mill!
Thanks.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

longtime lurker

Playing truck drivers because neither of my haulage contractors likes dealing with them at that size.... about 9 tonne in the head end of the log and when you start shunting them over the side with a dozer its hard on the gear and things get broken. 20' x 50"... 2645 BF Doyle... butt log will go somewhere up around the 4000 BF mark.

They'll bring the weekly average back up anyway.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!