iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: dchiapin on February 09, 2021, 09:43:16 AM
funny how people are.
My burn pile slabs and junk get burned on a regular basis but lately it has been too dry to burn always had people come by wanting a few junk slabs for fire wood, couldn't hardly give it away. Decided to do a little reverse psychology and put a hefty price on the waste of $25.00 per truck load, all you can load and haul.
What came next was an explosion of people wanting to get this "great deal".
Have several campgrounds around here and they send a truck about 3 times a week for their "great deal"
Not going to get rich on it but sure helps with the beverage bill smiley_hellow_im_here
That's what I did. I used to pile and burn my slabs till I started advertising $25 per truck/trailer load and U-load. When a guy pulled up in a small pick up and only loaded level with the side I did not have the heart to charge even that so I told him $10. I have not had to burn a slab since and I now have help loading and removing it. About half the time they get it right beside the mill. The rest of the time I will have moved it with my tractor and small FEL to a central site. I usually help load but that is as much for the social aspect as anything else. Two old brothers get most of it and they saw it up into 10-12 inch pieces. I took them a couple of sawhorses out there to help. Watching, visiting and listening to them is better than going to a comedy show.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

I'm not proud it gets cut up on the slab rack and burned through the wood furnace with all the other slabs when I am around in the evening to feed it a couple times, BTUs are BTUs. I put good wood in for over nights and morning before work, burn the lighter stuff when I am around.
If you had enough volume....
I think the campfire wood bundles for pine and cedar it wouldn't  be a bad option, it  should be a way to avoid EAB regulations and such. Maybe you could get a scout group  to sell them as a fund raiser and you could claim them as a donation. :)

dchiapin

I agree with WV Sawmiller you do meet some very interesting and entertaining people. A great time to take a break and enjoy the little pleasures of life talking to people and their experiences.

Resonator

QuoteLube jug was frozen, so I put another one up there.  Still had ice somewhere in the line.  Finally I just started milling with the valve open and within a few minutes it started flowing.  I was using a mix of water and RV anitfreeze, because thats what I had.  When done today I brought the jugs into the garage.
I take my water jug inside at the end of every day after sawing, I've had it freeze solid too many times. My original one developed cracks and started to leak (possibly from exposure to the elephants? ???)
Had to use some 100% silicone to patch it until a new one arrived.
Note on slabs, If you sell lumber and natural edge slabs, keep a stack of the bark pieces close by. More than once I've had customers walk over and ask "how much for some of these?" ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

dchiapin

yep one mans trash another mans treasure

firefighter ontheside

A guy came this morning and bought all of the cedar I milled yesterday.  I tried to give him some of the slabs, but he said no thanks.  Oh well.  I tried.

Milled some white oak 1x6 for a guy who wanted them for a small trailer deck.  It was 17 deg when I started and is now 22deg.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Red pine framing lumber 2x6x10 and 2x8x10 for an order.
2 cords of firewood cut and split loaded in firewood bags.
It snowed all day.
I thought the Goat showed up after lunch the Kohler 38hp gas started running odd.
I was like oh my no !
No blinking light.
Changed out the spark plugs and it was back running great.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

@Southside we (someone) have had this discussion before.  you know i would not want anyone hurt, but i gave about 200 of them for Christmas a few years back, and no one got sick.  they make a concentrated cedar oil, and i think it would be bad to ingest.  but the fish tastes great.  no one has complained, and have gotten many thanks and compliments.  i guess all the dead docs never called or texted.   :D  .  i remember trying to find info. last time.   i think the flavor is from the smoke, and the volatile stuff goes up in smoke.  I will review.  better safe than sorry.  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc .
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Let me know what you find out. We had been asked to make a bunch for a couple stores that carry our meat but found info that suggested otherwise so we made Maple, Poplar, and Cherry instead. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

looks like eating the oil concentrate is bad, and smaller amounts might make you sick.  the indians used it for tea and such as described.  I have never felt sick, and I think the amount in the smoke does not constitute a threat.  we will keep looking.  sounds like most of the US trees are safe.  in Europe maybe not, and is usually not the upright variety.

78NHTFY

Bruno--still crankin' with all this weather!  Good for you.  BTW, notice your hydraulic lift arm and pad are under the snow.  Be sure to clean out under those lift arms:  snow/ice/frozen sawdust can get in there and the arm will push the mess down so that it breaks off the velocity fuse at the bottom by the cylinder.  Been there, done that.  The pressure of the arm pushing frozen sawdust into the pad actually bent the little metal protector tab right into the cylinder.  At the end of each days' sawing in Winter,  I lift the arms, clean out the pad and put a wood block under each pad.  No problems since.  Your much newer machine may have different set up than mine: if so, disregard everything I just said. ;D.  Keep up the good work.  All the best, Rob.  
If you have time, you win....

Patrick NC

Finished another small order of cedar this afternoon between raindrops. Cut these from small 6-7" logs that most people wouldn't fool with. Took me about 3 hours and will bring over $300. It's always nice to have big logs, but it's nicer to turn fenceposts into $. 😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

firefighter ontheside

Those look nice.  I had one log the other day that would have been better used as a 4x4, but what was I gonna do with one 4x4?  I was walking around our property looking at cedars today.  I picked out quite a few that would make good lumber.  I'll have to decide which ones would make good 4x4s.  I have no love for cedars so it wouldn't hurt my feelings to remove them all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

LeeB

I've got an abundance of cedars suitable for 4x4's. Finding any big enough for 8" or wider boards is tough, or at least getting them out from where they are is tough. Finding any big enough to make 10" x 10' boards without rot in the center is even harder. I have a few that big scattered around the place but all in hard to access areas. I cut a fair amount of it off the place to use in various projects. Mostly outbuildings. Want to reside the house with it B&B, but finding wide enough stuff isn't easy. So far I have enough for one side only. May have to accept narrower boards. I have one big one right up by the house but Lindy won't let me cut it even though she basically hates cedar. Her guineas nest in that one. Probably could get enough out of it to do almost another side.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

donbj

Quote from: Patrick NC on February 11, 2021, 07:03:54 PM

Finished another small order of cedar this afternoon between raindrops. Cut these from small 6-7" logs that most people wouldn't fool with. Took me about 3 hours and will bring over $300. It's always nice to have big logs, but it's nicer to turn fenceposts into $. 😁
Nice. Once you get rolling and get a system going it's surprising how fast the little stuff can get processed. Certainly worth it.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Bruno of NH

Thanks Rob
I broke one the first winter.
At the end of the day I lift them and clean out under them. At night I lift them up off of the ground. 
I learn the hard way  :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Woodsman1220

I have been reading and learning from this forum for the past year and decided after milling for about six months, it was time for me to share.
Cherry

Hemlock

Woodsman1220
D&L SB1020, JD 4010, Stihl 391, Stihl MS250, Dewalt 12" battery,14 foot dump trailer w/winch, F450

TimGA

Welcome, really nice looking setup you have.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

terrifictimbersllc

Yes nice setup, like those circle marks. Thanks. I used to run a Peterson 1030WPF.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Those circle marks can be a real advantage as rustic and old looking is in style.  Except for people :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

come on Danny, we never go out of style...in OUR minds!   :)

WDH

My nephew who now lives in Virginia was visiting last week.  I wear suspenders at the sawmill to keep my pants from falling down, and as I walked up to greet him, he said that he first thought for sure that it was "Buster", my Dad.  He passed away 13 years ago, but apparently "I look just like him". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Durvin Wick

Sawing some dimensional 2x8x12, 2x12x16,2x10x14 and some beams for a pavilion this spring. Been a little chilly around here. LOL

Nebraska

@WDH , well....you know how far nuts fall from the tree.....

Thank You Sponsors!