iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Yes, the gene may be immortal.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Patrick NC

Sawed 800' of SYP 1x6x16s today. Customer is building a new pole barn and is using the 1x6s to hang the metal siding. He's supposed to pick it up in the morning. Called today and ordered another 600' of 1x6x12s.
I have to make small stacks because my skidsteer is broken and my little Kubota tractor will only lift about 1000 pounds.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

caveman

Good job, Patrick.  I sawed a few 1x6's this morning too for a barn.  Later I sawed up the top of a huge longleaf pine.  There were a few limbs to be cut off of this log so I halved it into 8'3" and sawed all live edge.  We will likely make more out of one of these slabs than all of the dimensional lumber that that (Tom) would have made.  It had a lot of heart and a little blue.  We saved out one mantle just in case someone may want to see the sap run one night over their Central Florida fire place.  The two other 16' logs out of this tree were sawn into wide boards a couple of weeks ago.

Most of these are about 20" wide.  The ones with a lot of blue are a little narrower.  The 7° bands resharpened by Earl to 4° sawed these really flat.  With this much heart and several lightered limbs that is a pretty good feat.  They are now on stickers and hopefully will go into the kiln within the next six weeks.  JohnM came over after work to help me manhandle them onto a stack.
Caveman

WDH

Quote from: caveman on February 15, 2021, 06:42:10 PM
 It had a lot of heart and a little blue.  We saved out one mantle just in case someone may want to see the sap run one night over their Central Florida fire place.
Ha!  So true!  Drip, drip, drip. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Patrick
Hope the orders keep rolling in.  Sure is rough weather to mill right now.

Woodsman and Durvin welcome!  Y'all have been busy!

Durvin Wick

I like the look of that long leaf pine, very unique. Nice job guys. On another note, I've got some standing (dying) hemlock on the property. Going to fell a couple after I'm done with the white pine cut list. Logs will be 16" to 24". Any advice will be appreciated, I've only cut a couple hemlock with good success. Thanks!

quadracutter222

Was a good day of sawing today, getting around to the larger logs from this load

Changed up sawing order, vertical backwards first, the horizontal forwards, waste on one side, heavy stuff and firewood off to the right, and finished boards out the back.  Way better this way for me, less steps and handling.

Red Beard would not stand still for an "insta" worthy picture ;)

Magicman

So you are saying that Jeff is quicker than the Rooster??  :D

Nice whack of timbers.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Durvin Wick

Nice set up, and nice timbers.

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Patrick NC

another nice order for cedar today. This is 250' of a 650' order. Started about 3pm. Will finish in the morning. I love cedar. Easy sawing and easy money!
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WV Sawmiller

Well, its not much but I finally have a post for this thread. Only the second log I have sawed this year almost entirely due to our weather. Today was the 3rd really nice day in a row and of course it is to start back raining tomorrow.  The mud is what is stopping me for the most part. I've got 3 confirmed customers in backlog and another big order or two in the works that should be confirmed in the next few weeks.

I cut down a small ash a couple weeks ago for firewood and found the butt log was green and better shape than I thought so I saved it for tomato stakes. I was able to get baby John up there and bring it down about noon and hauled it to the mill in the lot. I meant to cut it at 10' but somehow I bucked it to just over 9'. I sawed it into 1X1 strips then cut them into 4' and 5' stakes with my circular saw set on a 45* angle. I meant to get 2- 5' stakes. I got about 4.5 dozen of each and had a dozen or so other strips I had not cut so when finished I had about 11.5 dozen stakes.

About a 12" diameter log - poorly bucked. I need to have a stern talking to that logger and probably cut his pay or something appropriate.

Finished stickers ready to be cut in half at an angle to make stakes. The longer ones are a couple of red oak edging I dragged out of the slab pile. Easily $80 or more worth of tomato stakes from a small low grade ash log.

I got to use my little ATV cart today that I just built new sides for it. It had ragged metal sides they were a safety hazard. I went through my 4/4 RO pile and selected 3 boards that were pretty ratty looking and not something that would ever likely sell but they were fine for my needs here. I also had 2- 4' long 2X4s that were perfect for the stanchions. While real low grade wood it looks like it is going to work fine and will likely outlast me. (Who was that back in the peanut gallery that commented with my record he had a couple of bananas with brown spots that would likely outlast me? :( :D :D)

While I was piddling out there I went ahead and cleaned up that small slab pile from a single RO log I cut a few weeks ago. I was hoping somebody would drive by and see it and want the kindling. If they had they could have had it just to keep me from double handling it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

burdman_22

I truly hate posting pictures on here....no idea why these posted sideways as they're right side up on my computer. I should be getting these logs in a week or so, oak, 36 inches wide at the base, each approximately 50-70 feet long. The larger sections I'm going to mill into live edge slabs with my chainsaw. The smaller stuff I'm going to hold on to for a couple of months and maybe get milled into dimensional lumber.

Old Greenhorn

Het Howard, weather or not, looks like you are probably a good 4 weeks ahead of me on getting started. Good for you! You cut your stakes at 1" square? I don't think you we could drive a 1" in without splintering it here with all the rocks. I cut my 6/4 square. Folks seem to like that better for around here.
 I like that ide of whacking a single edge point on and getting two stake in one cut. I may look into that this year. 
 And no, that weren't me in the back of the room neither. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

@WDH This stuff sure has some nice color! :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I did not call any names but if you felt guilty ... :D

I guess most folks must till their soil around here for a foot or so and that is enough to get a 1" stake in the ground. We are not running short on rocks! I actually cut these at 1-1/16" but advertise them as "Approximately 1" square and approximately 5' long hardwood". Most I have cut have been ash but just calling them hardwood lets me use hickory or oak or even poplar if I run out of other wood. I don't normally cut my oaks as more valuable for wildlife. I do have about 25-30 feet of uprooted hickory still on the stump up in the pasture I will likely cut into tomato stakes - maybe tomorrow if the rain runs a little late getting here. I have one guy who has called several times and even scheduled to come once to get me to cut them into handle stock for his blacksmith tools but he is all talk. They will sell for tomato stakes and that is what matters. 

I think a typical T-post driver works fine to put them in. You could easily make one with a piece of galvanized pipe, some old tire weights and weld a pair of handles on  the sides. I started out making them 6' long but people said they were too hard to drive up. The 4' will sell but 5' seems most preferred. A V shaped point or round tip would be better but not worth the extra time and effort. My tomato stakes are largely a salvage project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

I needed another lumber pallet.  So turned a 12 foot SYP into 2x6s.  Stickers screwed on.  Also screwed on sacrificial 4 foot pallets underneath.

hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Patrick NC

<br 
Sawed these while trying to salvage some lumber from some really ugly cedar logs. 

TimW

Quote from: Patrick NC on February 26, 2021, 07:14:05 AM

<br
Sawed these while trying to salvage some lumber from some really ugly cedar logs.
I droll every time Y'all post ERC photos.  But these are over the top.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Bruno of NH

Black Locust was on the deck today. Filling out orders .
Logs coming in before the road bans get put up.
I'm on a state road but most loggers shut down for mud season.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

quadracutter222

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 26, 2021, 04:28:03 PM

I'd be interested to see what black locust looks like on the inside!  The bark reminds me of old growth fir or cedar maybe.

quadracutter222

Not much sawing during the week.  My full time job keeps getting in the way :) Just a few logs spread over my lunch breaks.

Made up a rain cover, was tired of the constant tarp on/tarp off situation

Moved a few logs from A to B.  Nice to get two logs in one turn !

Bruno of NH

Quote from: quadracutter222 on February 26, 2021, 04:30:56 PM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 26, 2021, 04:28:03 PM

I'd be interested to see what black locust looks like on the inside!  The bark reminds me of old growth fir or cedar maybe.
I will get some pictures. 
To me it has a white oak grain look.
The color is brownish .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

caveman

Sometimes you just have to try to get butter from a duck.  Yesterday evening a several time repeat customer brought by some Paroda (Monkey Ear Tree) logs for me to saw.  The first two logs sawed quick and easy.  Then the wonky, won't roll logs that were probably limbs yesterday were sawn.  John is being a good Daddy and baseball coach today so this was a solo effort.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with.  The customer is supposed to be bringing some pecan logs later (oh, boy!).

This is the one he wanted a mantle out of (butter from a duck).

Caveman

donbj

Quote from: quadracutter222 on February 26, 2021, 04:38:38 PM
Not much sawing during the week.  My full time job keeps getting in the way :) Just a few logs spread over my lunch breaks.

Made up a rain cover, was tired of the constant tarp on/tarp off situation

Moved a few logs from A to B.  Nice to get two logs in one turn !

Nice set up there. Not to change topics really but what vintage is your Long 5n1. I have a Long 3pt hitch backhoe from way back in the day.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!