The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??  (Read 111007 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
   If the slabs come apart they sound like it is because they want to become a River Table. Sounds like you just need to find the right woodworker who realizes and agrees with that idea. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Dan R

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:42 PM »
Brandi,
We live on what's called the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia but it has been known to rain here a bit. I put the mill on concrete for a good base and to keep my feet dry this time of year. Also when I'm finished for the day I sweep,shovel then use the leaf blower to give the mill a cleaning and blow the slab off. Plan to finish the shed and install a door when the weather improves.
Dan

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
This morning sawed some charcuterie stock for a resin artist.  Those people are resourceful, they scrounge free logs, and kiln dry in home made mini kilns.  I don't much care for the work as the logs are usually small and crooked. 

This was up next.

What the Mega hook is made for.  Yes, I could have used the mill hydraulics but I had the log sorta balanced between the fork lift tongs and the mill to trim off branch stubs and it was just easier to use the hook.

@boardmaker was asking on a PM if the two plane clamp hydraulic motor was strong enough to move around cants.  I lifted the log with the hydraulic cylinder and pulled it straight to the log stops with the clamp motor.

The log was 34" in diameter at the widest point and 19' long.  Since my throat is only 32", to make sure I didn't get stuck, I pulled the band and ran the carriage down the log.  1" to spare on this side and the other was pushing bark.

The log is pushed over the backstops to give me as much clearance as possible.

15 minutes sawing, 10 cuts, and 374 board foot.  Took an hour to pull vines and trim branch stubs.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
Brandi,
We live on what's called the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia but it has been known to rain here a bit. I put the mill on concrete for a good base and to keep my feet dry this time of year. Also when I'm finished for the day I sweep,shovel then use the leaf blower to give the mill a cleaning and blow the slab off. Plan to finish the shed and install a door when the weather improves.
Dan
Dan,
  Thanks.  I am gonna concrete my shed after building it.  But I like the idea of leaving some sawdust to walk on.
  hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Durvin Wick

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »

Milled some hard maple I was going to cut for firewood. Glad I milled it.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
   We have had real nice weather so I got out today and cut up 4 hickory logs for tomato stakes today. The tree uprooted 2 years ago and finished falling last Fall so I cut the top and limbs for firewood and cut 3-10 and one 7' log off the trunk. I don't get much call for hickory lumber so I cut it into 1"X1" strips then cut them in half at a 45* angle with a circle saw leaving 2-5' stakes with each cut with a one-sided point. I bundle in dozens and tie with old hay strings and sell them to a local plant grower and a few at flea markets and such.

Hickory logs at the mill

Strips from the first 2 logs - these made 18 dz stakes. I have the strips from the last 2 on the trailer to finish tomorrow an likely 8-10 dz more from there. I cut the 7' log to 5' when I got it on the loader arms.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline quadracutter222

• Full Member x2
  • D&L 10/20, Kubota XD23, Long 5n1, MS461
    • Share Post
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2021, 09:43:26 PM »
Not much sawing yet this week, darn day job again.  Did manage to get one log dealt with after school, with help from my up and coming tail man.

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2021, 04:52:52 PM »
Sawed some slabs and ovals from some cedar that was laying in the firewood pile. 

Should be able to make a little pocket money from these. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
Friday morning going down.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
   I finished pointing and bundling the rest of my stakes and ended up with 38 dozen +2 stakes. I think 4 dozen were 4' and the rest were 5'. I also cut up a little over a 50 lb feed sack full of 1"X1" cut-offs 6-12 inches long I will try to sell as smoker wood. I still have the slabs and edgings to cut up and package. Smoker wood is one of those things that will sit there a long time till the right person asks about it then he will come buy it all. I am tempted to save my hickory sawdust separate and see if it would sell for smokers. I'd think you could throw a pint or so on hot charcoal and it should stink up the smoker pretty good.
Howard Green

Offline Cjross73

• Full Member x2
  • Work in progress
    • Share Post
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2021, 08:03:56 PM »
Had a few min before dark this evening,  the help wasn't too interested....

It had been a while since I had time to fire it up, the operator is maybe a little rusty.  Not pictured is the blade half way in the log that's on the mill. Good news is I stopped just before trimming a back stop, I'll work on getting it backed out of the cut tomorrow   ::)

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2021, 09:08:02 PM »
Nice helper crew 👍

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2021, 09:47:23 PM »
Nothing exciting from me today.

Less than 1Mbf so minimum sawing rate.

10X10's and the side lumber made 2X8's, 10's, & 12's.  Well I did get a $100 tip so I guess that was excitement!!  Started sawing at ~1:00 and finished at 4:00.

If my customer can get a tailgunner, next week will be a three day, 55 mile road trip for a several times repeat customer.  We'll spend the nights at the Cabin.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:27 PM »
Smoker wood is one of those things that will sit there a long time till the right person asks about it then he will come buy it all. I am tempted to save my hickory sawdust separate and see if it would sell for smokers.
I save my cherry, hickory and pecan planer chips for use on the grill.  We had London Broil over hickory for supper tonight.  

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #354 on: March 05, 2021, 01:57:38 AM »
Nothing exciting from me today.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Less than 1Mbf so minimum sawing rate.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

10X10's and the side lumber made 2X8's, 10's, & 12's.  Well I did get a $100 tip so I guess that was excitement!!  Started sawing at ~1:00 and finished at 4:00.

If my customer can get a tailgunner, next week will be a three day, 55 mile road trip for a several times repeat customer.  We'll spend the nights at the Cabin.  :)
Lynn,
    Shade can be exciting.  At least a positive.
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
Certainly a beautiful day for milling in this part of the country. Looks the same as Mississippi.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline KenMac

• I'm not as new as I was. but often feel very old!
    • Share Post
    • ItGrowsOnTreesWoodworks.com
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Was a good day to split firewood in Alabama. I let the mill rest. :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
Trying to get logs that are closest to the mill sawed so I can be ready to work on a new idea I had.  I sawed some crooked cherry logs that have punky sapwood, but still some nice slabs.  I had some shortleaf pine logs sitting there too that had been there for a few years.  I had cut down the tree to make room for the mill carport.  Out of an 18" log all I could salvage was a 6x6 and even that had some bad spots.  Kinda made me sad that I had wasted such a nice log.  I wish I had more time for sawing and space for drying, then I wouldn't waste any logs.  That goes to my new project.  I'm going to use some pallet racks I have to build a shed, essentially connected to the sawmill shed.  I will use pallet racks for the structure on one end, a side and then have to put up a beam on the other end.  This will create stacking space for lumber, will better protect the mill from weather and will create a space to park either the tractor or the mule.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #358 on: March 05, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »
I was quarantined from work for the last several days even though I tested negative last Friday evening.  We had several medical events in our family this week to deal with but in the interim, I got a little sawing done.  We worked through some longleaf logs that have been lying around a little too long so they were slabbed heavy and the burn pile has some thicker slabs in it.  Also, some Paroda (monkey ear) was sawn for a customer who showed up with more logs and no money to pay for his slabs...we made an amicable agreement and we  now have several paroda slabs to dry and sell.  My son in law and daughter picked up some pine to add a storage room on to their barn.  I told them if the blue stain pine did not suit them that I would saw something different but it is hung and they like it.  We also got some more pecan logs this week that we will saw on shares.  

Some of the logs I've sawn in the past few days have lain around too long and the boards they yielded ended up in the cull pile.  They will work for dunnage, pallets or various projects but it makes me ill that I let good logs deteriorate to this point.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • In Memoriam
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2021, 07:41:41 AM »
That blue pine looks good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

87 Replies
Last post September 17, 2022, 07:23:50 AM
by jpassardi