iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Sawed 450 bf of cedar 1x5, 2x4s and 3.5x3.5 today. Nice payday for a Saturday. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

busenitzcww

just a bit of elm Burl today. Short video of the process. https://youtu.be/y0I41Sn_HuM

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: btulloh on March 13, 2021, 08:03:15 PM
Those crates must be a hot item, WV. Nice work.
I make them sized to fit a dozen quart or a dozen pint canning jars. The pint sized crate just fits inside a quart sized crate. They are fast and simple to make. Not a high profit item but fun to build and I sell a few at flea markets and use a lot around the house.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Busenitzcww, your elm burl cookies are beautiful.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Danny, is that a bit of spalt in the sapwood area?  nice local exotic hardwood @busenitzcww .   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

We have sent out quite a bit of pine dimensional lumber for us this week.  We have also sawn some Paroda and some pecan.  The pecan was from the guy that has logs but sometimes does not have money to pay for them being sawn.  We cut on halves today and the first log had a couple of nails that we found right away with our freshly sharpened 4° blade.  We continued using it and it sawed flat but left a bit of "character" on the rest of the slabs.  This should not be a problem since we saw pecan at 2.5" so it should easily clean up.  Also, I stacked quite a bit of lumber that hit the cull pile from our dimensional jobs this week.  It will be used for stuff shorter than 16' or saw horses.

We sent out 35 1x14x16' heart pine (orange trailer) and loaded the kiln with pecan and sycamore.  John keeps mentioning that YellowHammer would not be happy with how many wasted steps we take each day and continuously suggests that we do things smarter.  Unfortunately, "I no too smart".
Caveman

DWyatt

Got my first Sunburn of 2021! 8) Hourly rate sawing for my parent's neighbor. Slabbed some shagbark hickory (aka granite smiley_devil), some 4/4 basswood, and made 11 @ 3"x10"x18' red oak bridge decking. The bridge decking is for a ditch crossing in a field that is used by semis and combines. I used the toolbox and it said they were 243 lbs each  :o They did not want the basswood so I took home about 210 bf of some pretty nice stuff.

One of the red oak pieces that got edged to 10". Told the customer that he was going to have the purdiest bridge decking in the county.

The stack of basswood I took home and get on sticks to air dry.

WV Sawmiller

Heavy timbers! I hope you had plenty of help or MHE to move them.

What thickness and sizes did you cut the basswood? I have about 1,000 bf left from a big tree that almost took out my deer blind. I cut it 4/4, 8/4. 12/4 & 16/4 and put a big fan on it for 2 months to keep it from molding. I try to market it a carving wood. It looks a lot like maple. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DWyatt

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 15, 2021, 09:15:32 AM
  Heavy timbers! I hope you had plenty of help or MHE to move them.

What thickness and sizes did you cut the basswood? I have about 1,000 bf left from a big tree that almost took out my deer blind. I cut it 4/4, 8/4. 12/4 & 16/4 and put a big fan on it for 2 months to keep it from molding. I try to market it a carving wood. It looks a lot like maple.
Yes we had MHE. The farmer I was cutting them for brought over his 80+ hp tractor with forks. We utilized every hydraulic function of the mill and tractor to not have to touch the timbers, but they did make a loud thud whenever they moved. 
I cut all the basswood to 4/4 random width. It will be used as a secondary wood when I'm building cabinets (drawer boxes, shelves, misc framing, etc) For me it is interchangeable with poplar

boonesyard

Got an interesting call from a guy that said he had some mesquite he'd like sawn. He wintered in Texas and just got back, he hauled back some short 4' pieces for woodworking and smoking. It's not something we see up here so I told him to come over. We cut up 3 of the best shorts he had, wow is that stuff dense/heavy/hard! I was really impressed as to the beauty of this stuff, black walnut has nothing on this. Took about an hour, he paid us and then told us to pick 3 pieces we'd like to keep for getting to it so fast (nice guy). We're looking forward to doing something with it some day.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

DocGP

I've got this big girl waiting on me tomorrow.

Second of 5 logs heading toward the base.  27" and quite straight.  Base is about 36" dia.  Tried out a sample 9 deg blade from WM store, it cut great, even after i kissed the roller stop  :D :D.  Will start with a fresh T7 in the morning.  Man am I learning a lot!!!  

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Southside

What is the plan for the log?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

took down the stump of a cottonwood in the yard.  3/8th inch piece taken of the top, leaning on the cant. and the sun shining through it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: boonesyard on March 15, 2021, 03:34:57 PM
Got an interesting call from a guy that said he had some mesquite he'd like sawn. He wintered in Texas and just got back, he hauled back some short 4' pieces for woodworking and smoking. It's not something we see up here so I told him to come over. We cut up 3 of the best shorts he had, wow is that stuff dense/heavy/hard! I was really impressed as to the beauty of this stuff, black walnut has nothing on this. Took about an hour, he paid us and then told us to pick 3 pieces we'd like to keep for getting to it so fast (nice guy). We're looking forward to doing something with it some day.

I haven't seen anything that big around these parts.  I guess it is south Texas, if he wintered here.  Do you know where he wintered?
                     hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

boonesyard

Quote from: Bindian on March 15, 2021, 11:42:36 PM
Quote from: boonesyard on March 15, 2021, 03:34:57 PM

I haven't seen anything that big around these parts.  I guess it is south Texas, if he wintered here.  Do you know where he wintered?
                    hugs,  Brandi
Not sure what part of Texas, I didn't ask. I've been down there a few times, and I thought this mequite seemed big. Crazy heavy!
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Durvin Wick

Some white oak we cut last year for a pavilion this spring. A little belt sanding and linseed oil. Good to go. Sorry the pics doubled up (fixed by Admin).

Patrick NC

Here's a sneak peek of what I'm going to be sawing next. 

A farmer near me called and said he had a bunch of cedar on his hedgerows and I could have it if I wanted to cut it down. (Note the barbed wire below the cut.) All of them have wire, but I'll just cut them about 4 1/2 feet high. There's probably 150 of them at least 16" or bigger. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WDH

Thank the birds for that :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

forcemac

Been lurking around the forum last fall.  Been infatuated with milling over the winter.  Bought me a 36" Alaskan by Granberg and their chain and made my first attempt on some salvage I found in the neighborhood brush dump.   After I made the first cut, I was tickled pink at the outcome.  I sure have the sawdust disease after just one log. I believe this is Chinese Elm...maybe someone a bit more educated can confirm or deny.   

Darrel

@forcemac  welcome!

My first guess was elm of some sort. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

TimW

Quote from: Patrick NC on March 17, 2021, 07:29:18 PM
Here's a sneak peek of what I'm going to be sawing next.  

A farmer near me called and said he had a bunch of cedar on his hedgerows and I could have it if I wanted to cut it down. (Note the barbed wire below the cut.) All of them have wire, but I'll just cut them about 4 1/2 feet high. There's probably 150 of them at least 16" or bigger.
I gotta come to NC and buy some logs for sure.
Ya got me drooling again.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Woodsman1220

My neighbor had a half dozen dead red oaks that I offered to remove for him.  It made very nice 5/4 boards for horse stalls.

Woodsman1220
D&L SB1020, JD 4010, Stihl 391, Stihl MS250, Dewalt 12" battery,14 foot dump trailer w/winch, F450

Magicman

I had an interesting job today.  A couple of weeks ago a customer wanted me to come and look and I did:

Three blocks of whatever that he wanted me to clean up and then split the shorter one.

And 6 Pecan limbs that he wanted posts, plus 1½" and 2½" two live edge slabs.  They were gonna be heavy so I would need help. 

So Marty and Ben became tailgunners today.

Some of the hardware that was in the cants.

But they still got cleaned up, much to the customer's satisfaction.

He was also pleased with the Pecan.  Hourly rate plus labor equaled a very nice pay day for all.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Pecan limbs?

think_not smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devilish smiley_devilish smiley_devilish smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_bat_morph smiley_bat_morph smiley_bat_morph

Thank You Sponsors!