iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I totally agree and no way would I have ever sawn that Pecan mess for myself but I have sawn many times for this guy.  He loves to experiment and his $$ are good.  ;D

The old timber chunks came from somewhere in the NE, maybe Massachusetts??  The largest one squared 12X12, the second largest squared 12X14, and the one seen on the sawmill made two 3X12's.  Two were WRC and one was SYP, probably Longleaf. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jasonb

Magicman,

Did you make it down to Thibodaux?
HM122

Magicman

No, we were rain/stormed out this week and sadly this next week doesn't look any better.  I am now shooting for the week of March 29th or the next week of April 5th.

PatD has her aortic heart valve replacement scheduled for the next week (15th) so if we can't get it done before that we will have to skip a few weeks. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

a few more erc boards for Dallas.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Some very thinly sawn ERC I see.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

the board he was attaching to was warped.  it was "straw board'  that used to be manufactured here from wheat straw.  so he went and spent 35 bucks on a sheet of osb 7/16ths.  Poor Dallas has succumbed to ERCC.  eastern redcedar crazy! :) no pics of the final 4 feet yet, out of respect for his family!   :D :D :D

so the sides of the steps are closed in,  the area behind the shelf on the left, is re-sheeted, and getting covered  he will make another shelf in the loft.  He is talking crazy about replacing the treads with ERC.  8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

The man needs help. He needs and intervention. But you are not the guy Doc. You are his enabler. (you might need help too.) :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jasonb

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2021, 09:08:12 AMNo, we were rain/stormed out this week

That is why I am asking.  They got some pretty good storms down there Wednesday.
HM122

doc henderson

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 19, 2021, 01:44:57 PM
Some very thinly sawn ERC I see.
yes some 1/4 inch to cover the osb, some 3/4" to side the stairs and 1 9/16th" to make shelf boards.

burdman_22

Sawed some oak cookies today. Only managed three before ran out of light. Largest of the three was about 38 inches.

WV Sawmiller

My wife's cousin and her husband came for an overnight visit yesterday afternoon. I took him and showed him my setup, sawed one small poplar log into 4/4 stock then loaded up the mill and we took it to my next customer's house 11 miles away and set it up. I returned this morning to this load of logs.

Mostly WO, maybe a couple of RO and one tiny hemlock so far. I see a cherry coming up on the next visit. We sawed about half till we wore out my 77 y/o helper. He is about the size of the MM so I ended up helping him toss the slabs on the pile but he stacked the lumber pretty much alone. We had about 747 bf when we broke for the day.

We will resume Monday after my doctor's appointment. I'll stop by on my return and we will finish this pile.

It was a pleasant morning and we made some real pretty boards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 20, 2021, 04:56:43 PMtill we wore out my 77 y/o helper. He is about the size of the MM

Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis??
What You Talkin bout Willis? Gary Coleman - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

First you horde all the LogRite cant hooks now you are hogging up all the young, strong help. Its a sad state of affairs that the only off bearer help we can get around here is 77 y/o. He put in a good day and I am not putting him down at all. You'd just think there would be a few strapping teenage boys wanting the work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 20, 2021, 06:01:56 PM.......... You'd just think there would be a few strapping teenage boys wanting the work.
Yeah, you would, but no.... What I wouldn't give for a teenager (male or female) with grits that could help me out after school or on weekends and maybe learn something useful. Ain't happenin' these days. Liability, what if, etc. etc.
 I was helping a neighbor do firewood and they had a nephew there, about 12YO, and I gave him a hookeroon and showed him how to use it and gave him a safety talk. He was having a blast and helping out dragging rounds up to the splitter with great effect as he figured it out...until grandma saw and came running out and said we had to take the 'dangerous tool away from him before he got hurt". Kids today are doomed. 
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

I am fortunate to have two of those "strapping Grandsons" that...

don't mind getting sweaty...

nor getting dirty.  Luke & Ben

WV Sawmiller

Just my luck, 4 gd and one 4 y/o gs! I'd try matchmaking the older gd's but I doubt they understand Mississippi English or that Luke and Ben would travel this far. ::)
Howard Green

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2021, 09:08:12 AM
No, we were rain/stormed out this week and sadly this next week doesn't look any better.  I am now shooting for the week of March 29th or the next week of April 5th.

PatD has her aortic heart valve replacement scheduled for the next week (15th) so if we can't get it done before that we will have to skip a few weeks.
Best of luck on a speedy recovery.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Thank you, she/we are apprehensive but also ready for her to be able to regain her normal activities.  I'll put up a topic later in the "Health and Safety" board detailing her aortic heart valve journey.

Old Greenhorn

Sure hoping everything goes smooth and simple for you both MM. Getting back to 'normal' whatever that may be for each of us, is a wonderful thing. You guys have got this.
 Are we gonna see you in August?

Magicman

We also have other unspoken obstacles to overcome so we will cross the August bridge when we get there.

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2021, 07:27:08 PM

I am fortunate to have two of those "strapping Grandsons" that...

don't mind getting sweaty...

nor getting dirty.  Luke & Ben
Lynn,
   You are truly blessed.  
                  hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Sheepkeeper

Saturday's whack of logs. Walnut, Cherry, Pine and Spruce.

And the resulting whacks of lumber: 6x6's

and 4/4 boards: pine and spruce

walnut and cherry

Oh, and 8/4 live edge walnut on the bottom of the pile. All in all a good day.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

WV Sawmiller

Sheeprustler Sheepkeeper 

Boy that is some pretty log stacking! Was that your wood or a customers? I need to steal a copy of that picture to send to all my mobile customers as to what their logs should look like before they call me and say they are ready for me to come saw.

Real pretty finished lumber too!
Howard Green

doc henderson

@Magicman I sure hope we see you at the pig roast, but understand if you are not able to be there.  God speed!

firefighter ontheside

I picked up my blades from sharpening yesterday at a local place.  I've never sent them anywhere buy woodmizer.  I realized that they did not clean the blades like WM did.  I paid $7 per blade for sharpening.
Is it worth cleaning the blades myself before I send them to this guy or not bother with it?  I may eventually go back to using re-sharp when things settle down in the world, but for now its this local guy who has always sharpened my circular blades.  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!