iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Only time it didn't work was a very off-center pith oval log growing out of a hill at a 45° angle. I got 9 7x7s, and they wouldn't clean up to 6x6. I've split 15x15x47' before, no problems. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Andries

Dave; don't tell anyone where you're pulling down trees that big. 
Wow!
. .  and those are local to you trees?
Have you got a photo of the tree that will give you a 15x15x47' cant/timber?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

2 miles from my house, five miles from the mill.

Logs 13 miles from home. Mill 30 miles. 52' 12x12.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

I went back to finish the job today. About 1/2 mile from the site I saw a home with about a dozen or so logs (turned out to be red spruce the owner claims his dad planted 75 years ago) in the yard. The owner was walking back with his morning newspaper so I stopped and asked if he was sawing the logs - he was - and if he needed a sawyer - No, he had a good local sawyer he knew lined out but he thanked me for stopping by. He asked where I was sawing and I told him and he knew and liked my customer.

I went on and finished the job. Another family affair and really almost too much fun to call it work. Yesterday the customer was worried he would not have enough logs but I assured him we did. We finally assigned his daughter and gd bookkeeper duties to tell us where we stood with completion of the cut list. That was a great idea and worked out fabulously! The logs were in no order so it was hard to keep up with what we had finished and remaining. The lady would tell me as we pulled up each new log what we needed of each length. Her husband and kids were our helpers and her dad was the customer. Near the end of the job she kept looking at the slab pile and discussed making some live edge slabs. They discussed what thickness for shelves and I said it depended on bracing and expected weight but 1" was common and I discussed using 2X cut into 90* triangles as braces and a 2-4 inch board to attach to the wall. Finally she asked me to saw an ugly 12' top into one LE side boards. I cut a flat spot off the top, rotated 90* against the sides, cut 3 1" LE boards from about 6-8 inches wide. Then I picked it up on the clamp and spun it 180 degrees, put the same back against the side and sawed 3 more one sided LE 4/4 boards. They were very impressed with the technique and the yield. She had planned to send her daughter back for her purse and check book but I told her a log that size was chump change to saw and I'd throw it in but she insisted. When I told her it would only be a few dollars they decided they had that so I sawed the LE boards then 5-8' 2X4's and grabbed some 2" thick scrap out of the slab pile, I gang clamped 5-6 pieces, sawed 2 passes to get 1X2 strips very much like cutting stacking stickers.

Total yield for customer 3061 bf - $995. Daughter got 63 bf -$20. The oldest grandson kept pointing to the good and saying "PawPaw, I can't believe you get this much wood for $1,000. Do you know what Lowes would charge for that?" Everyone was happy and it was a very good job.

Final yield - 1456 bf today, total nearly 3200 bf for 2 days.

Final log stack after cutting everything on the list. The customer said he offered them to a neighbor who may come get them and call me. I told him I'd be glad to saw right where they are and he had made the same proposal. We will see. We started with about 60+ and I count about 14 left.

I came home and unloaded with plenty of daylight left. Now it is time for the 850 hour service. I heard and smelled a belt so will be closely checking the alternator (Last time one went was very similar) or drive belt.

Oh BTW - the old neighbor with the Red Spruce came over to talk and visit too.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2021, 05:28:47 PM

Dave,
       I am confused.   I thought extended length Woodmizers couldn't be moved.  But it looks like you are towing your mill from place to place.  Please straighten me out.
               hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Patrick NC

Started multiple weekend mobile job yesterday. Customer had a lot cleared to build his retirement home and wants to saw the logs into framing lumber. Mostly tulip poplar, a little maple, and some white oak. He is 67 years old and not in the best shape, so he paid extra for me to provide labor and a tractor. Most of his logs were not bucked to length and covered in mud. Spent a lot of time cleaning logs. Worked 17 hours the last 2 days and got 3100 bf. 2x6s,8s, and 10s. Mostly 14' long. Also a bunch of 1x random width. Total mill time was 11 hours. 
 There was one short beech log that he wanted cut at the end of the day today. 

it sawed easy, but moved around like a snake. Had some nice figure in it though. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

TimW

Been cutting bunches of 2x6s and 2x4s, from 8 feet up to 16 feet. 

Having fun in retirement.
Almost have two customers lumber ready for pickup this week.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Bindian on April 18, 2021, 08:29:29 PM

Dave,
      I am confused.   I thought extended length Woodmizers couldn't be moved.  But it looks like you are towing your mill from place to place.  Please straighten me out.
              hugs,  Brandi
Two different setups. One is my mill and extension cutging 47'. The other is a different mill with my 24' and another 12' extension cutting 52', with 57' total capacity. Every move is a break down and reassembly. 

TimW

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2021, 08:45:53 PM
Quote from: Bindian on April 18, 2021, 08:29:29 PM

Dave,
      I am confused.   I thought extended length Woodmizers couldn't be moved.  But it looks like you are towing your mill from place to place.  Please straighten me out.
              hugs,  Brandi
Two different setups. One is my mill and extension cutging 47'. The other is a different mill with my 24' and another 12' extension cutting 52', with 57' total capacity. Every move is a break down and reassembly.
How long does it take to break it down and to set it up?
          hugs,  Brandi

Dave Shepard

You could split the extension and have the axle back under the mill in a couple hours. It has stationary legs that have to come off. Setting up on a new slab, aligning, and drilling new anchors is probably an all day affair. I spent three hours today realigning and setting more anchors and then checking bed to band alignment. People ask me if I have a portable mill. Only if you can move a 60' long, 25 ton slab without breaking it.

Walnut Beast

Pretty impressive 👍

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2021, 11:34:04 AM
I'll be sawing four 8x8s out of one log later today. It'll be ewp, so it'll actually work.  :)
As promised. 4-8x8. Flat and square as can be. Could have made 4-10x10, with a little wane.

Andries

Nice work Dave, and thanks for the photos of the long sticks.
So, with @bindian at 27x 2x4's and you at 4x 8x8's - there's whole lotta squeezing the log for the most bf. 
Who's the winner?  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

I threw this muddy ash log I salvaged while cutting some next years firewood about 60 yards from the house. looked to solid to waste on firewood. I cut 3- 1X10's to finish a customers order and the rest into 1X1 strips I will cut in half for 2 tomato stakes out of each. I started with a used blade and the extra mud sent it diving after 2'. I replaced the blade and it worked fine.

Sawed a second similar log into tomato stakes. Note my new process I picked up from Rich to load the slabs/edgings on the tractor forks and the lumber on sawhorse to be picked up later. I am liking this and think it will be my new standard practice. I am finding it is much easier to turn around and put the slab on the forks and slide the lumber off on the sawhorses then haul the slabs away when I get done or get a load and come back and pick up the lumber.

After I moved the boards I still have about 120 sticks or 240 future tomato stakes. 

When I finished I had 849.8 hours on the mill so did my 850 hour service. Before I started sawing I checked on the belt smell I got yesterday. Turned out the alternator belt was loose and had twisted. I put it back and tightened and called WM Pa and they added a replacement to a box of bands I'd ordered this morning. Should all be here tomorrow.

I called the customer to let him know his order was ready. I had forgotten he wanted 8' and turns out he can't store the 10' so I'll throw them on the RAS and trim even the excess I usually leave. Won't take but a couple minutes to do that. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: Andries on April 19, 2021, 07:11:18 PM
Nice work Dave, and thanks for the photos of the long sticks.
So, with @bindian at 27x 2x4's and you at 4x 8x8's - there's whole lotta squeezing the log for the most bf.
Who's the winner?  :D
Heck,
       If I had known it was a contest, I would have put that 38 inch log on the mill.  After bibbying with my new 461 Stihl.
                       hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

put a walnut log on the mill.  right at 36 inch diameter.  @Cardiodoc and I got this a few weeks ago with his daughter.  

quite a few 2 inch slabs.  some crotch figure near on end of the wood.  did well despite a big rot pocket and a couple nails
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

Doesnt look like that blade was any worse for the metal.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

i agree.  sawed flat and not much change in set.  so we finished the log and made another 5 slabs after.  it will be changed before the next log, unless it is dirty then I may chance opening the cant with this blade then a new one for the boards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I'm beginning to feel like I should apply for a MM award for traveling. I tentatively confirmed a job in Charleston WV, 89 miles from here, Saturday morning for a repeat customer up there. It looks like it is only 4-5 logs and they are in the 5' range. I think the biggest is 24" although he may have a 36" log he is talking about splitting with a chainsaw before I get there. It will obviously be a minimum fee applied job. Now I just got an e-mail from a guy 112 miles from here wanting me to come do about a one day job at a campground they are opening for Memorial Day weekend. He needs to build some cabins and sleeping decks/porches and such and wanted me to come saw Saturday and Sunday. I told him I can figure on leaving Charleston then go west about 90 miles to his site and camp there a night or two as needed. I'll get my mill and tent set up Saturday and if time permits we will saw a couple of hours. Then I will come back home Sunday night or Monday making a big triangle trip. This will be the first time I ever overnighted on a mobile job. My big concern now is if the weather will cooperate. 
Howard Green

YellowHammer

Hey, if you want a long haul job, come on down here to Alabama and I'll get you to saw some of my logs.  I can pay you with a fishing trip or food.   :D :D  I don't have any money, I spent it all on the sawmill. :D :D

Here's some sassafras I cut yesterday.  Some nice clean boards, taking 16" off.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

got a burr or pin oak from the tree service working down the street.  gave them a couple slabs.  

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Thanks for the offer. First time I have ever been asked to "Saw for food." :D

I found a pair of old classmates have a son there at Huntsville and he is a woodworker so I told her to tell him to come see you and ask for his 50% War Eagle discount. ;)
Howard Green

YellowHammer

An Auburn discount?  Only if they wear a Crimson Tide hat.   :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TimW

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 22, 2021, 10:11:04 AM
 Only if they wear a Crimson Tide hat.   :D :D
Is that better than an Aggie hat? ;)
hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

If he comes in with an Aggie hat Robert probably wouldn't even sell him the sawdust. I probably would not either. :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!