iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 22, 2021, 08:47:46 AM
Hey, if you want a long haul job, come on down here to Alabama and I'll get you to saw some of my logs.  I can pay you with a fishing trip or food.   :D :D  I don't have any money, I spent it all on the sawmill. :D :D

I figured you would've said you spent it all on fishing gear. :D :D
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 22, 2021, 12:12:50 PM
Brandi,

If he comes in with an Aggie hat Robert probably wouldn't even sell him the sawdust. I probably would not either. :D
Well then............Gig'em. ;D
hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

cutterboy

I sawed my first logs for this year yesterday. I'm late getting started this year because I got an order for green firewood this spring and just finished it. I'm a bit confused about the logs I'm sawing.....let me explain.
A neighbor had a tree taken down beside his driveway and offered me any of the wood I wanted for free. A nice looking aspen I thought. I cut the tree into logs and transported them to my log deck. When I opened the log the wood did not look like aspen. It looked more like yellow poplar. But yellow poplar doesn't grow up here. At least that's what I thought. I've never sawed yellow poplar before so I'm not sure but I've seen a lot of pictures of it here on the Forestry Forum. Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think.

The pictures don't show it but the heartwood has some green in it. Do you think it's yellow poplar?

Happy sawing.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

KenMac

Quote from: cutterboy on April 22, 2021, 07:23:51 PM
I sawed my first logs for this year yesterday. I'm late getting started this year because I got an order for green firewood this spring and just finished it. I'm a bit confused about the logs I'm sawing.....let me explain.
A neighbor had a tree taken down beside his driveway and offered me any of the wood I wanted for free. A nice looking aspen I thought. I cut the tree into logs and transported them to my log deck. When I opened the log the wood did not look like aspen. It looked more like yellow poplar. But yellow poplar doesn't grow up here. At least that's what I thought. I've never sawed yellow poplar before so I'm not sure but I've seen a lot of pictures of it here on the Forestry Forum. Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think.

The pictures don't show it but the heartwood has some green in it. Do you think it's yellow poplar?

Happy sawing.....Cutter
Looks like what I know as Tulip Poplar.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

If that ain't tulip poplar it's his twin brother. I'm waiting on the experts to respond to this one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

had this third of an oak so before dark I decided to get some quarter sawing in.  the sparks were beautiful.  see the did something dumb thread.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Yup - that's Yellow Poplar, the green will dull to brown in the heart wood. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutterboy

Quote from: Southside on April 22, 2021, 10:19:37 PM
Yup - that's Yellow Poplar, the green will dull to brown in the heart wood.
Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions. I am surprised to find yellow poplar growing here in north central Massachusetts. I'll have to keep my eyes open and check to see if some of my aspen trees are really yellow poplar.

Ed_K

If the sawdust smelled like aftershave it's tulip poplar. I have done TSI work down around Northampton and Westhampton and cut a few and they all smelled like aftershave.
Ed K

RonG

My guess on the logs would have been cottonwood.  

alan gage

Quote from: RonG on April 23, 2021, 09:41:24 AM
My guess on the logs would have been cottonwood.  
That was my thought as well.

No yellow poplar here so I can't compare the two but the exterior bark, rusty colored inner bark, and the wood itself all look like the Eastern Cottonwood I've milled.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Dave Shepard

Did you look around for a horse relieving himself after you cut into the log? If so, it's not tulip. The end of the logs look like tulip, but the bark doesn't to me. Very easy to confuse tulip and ash in log form.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

If you are correct on what Tulip poplar smells like I think Ed_K needs to change his aftershave. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Well, at least one yellow poplar grew in your area.  They may now be extinct there, but there was at least one up to a few days ago  :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alan gage

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 23, 2021, 01:07:40 PMVery easy to confuse tulip and ash in log form.

I just looked up some pictures of tulip bark and you're correct that it does look at awful like like ash. Makes me think even more the posters logs are cottonwood. The bark fissures look more straight and coarse than the interlaced diamonds of ash and, so it would seem, tulip poplar.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 23, 2021, 01:30:42 PM
Dave,

If you are correct on what Tulip poplar smells like I think Ed_K needs to change his aftershave. :D
I said if it smelled bad, it wasnt tulip. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

I'm tired of milling Osage.  The dust is so fine and I get covered along with the rest of the shop.  Everything in the shop is yellow.  I also go through a lot of bands, 1-1.5 per log.  I have 17 logs of the original 79 left.  I've got about 5 big ones and the rest are smaller 10"-13" dia brace logs that will go faster.  Here are some 5.5" square posts, and the pic with the burn barrel burning bark and sawdust there is a 13' 8x10, and a 13' 5.75x10 live edge beam.  

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

The pics posted are yellow poplar.  Yellow poplar is diffuse porous.  Ash is ring porous.  The yellow poplar wood in the pics is diffuse porous.  Yellow poplar has alternate branching.  Ash has opposite branching.  Not similar in the least.  Yellow poplar has a simple leaf.  Ash has a compound leaf.  Not similar in the least.  The two trees are do not look alike at all to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Arcticmiller

Milling up a mess of white spruce today...the back is getting a workout doing 2x12's and 2x6's for an upcoming project. Muscling around logs 26" at the butt end, wouldn't want to be without my big cant hook! My back will be feeling it in the morning. I think I need a forklift.

Ordered up the parts for an atv log arch to help the shuttling go smoother once the snow melts...the joys of an all manual mill!

Finishing it up with a home-brew helps with the recovery process.

cutterboy

Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2021, 10:14:25 PM
The pics posted are yellow poplar.  Yellow poplar is diffuse porous.  Ash is ring porous.  The yellow poplar wood in the pics is diffuse porous.  
Thankyou WDH. I know ash and these are not. BTW, they did not smell very nice. Kinda like "essence of manure pile"

alan gage

Another notch for Cottonwood.
I should know better than to question WDH but everything I've seen and heard matches cottonwood, which i've milled a fair amount of. But like I said I've never seen a tulip poplar in log form.
Alan

alan gage

A cottonwood log and some surprisingly colorful wood, which mostly fades as it dries.

Ed_K

Around me the only tree that smells of horse is smooth bark hickory  ;D .
Ed K

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty Awesome. What sizes did you cut up

Thank You Sponsors!