The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??  (Read 105389 times)

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??
« Reply #620 on: April 24, 2021, 07:04:58 AM »
The pics posted are yellow poplar.  Yellow poplar is diffuse porous.  Ash is ring porous.  The yellow poplar wood in the pics is diffuse porous.  
Thankyou WDH. I know ash and these are not. BTW, they did not smell very nice. Kinda like "essence of manure pile"

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #621 on: April 24, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »

Another notch for Cottonwood.
I should know better than to question WDH but everything I've seen and heard matches cottonwood, which i've milled a fair amount of. But like I said I've never seen a tulip poplar in log form.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #622 on: April 24, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »
A cottonwood log and some surprisingly colorful wood, which mostly fades as it dries.

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #623 on: April 24, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
 Around me the only tree that smells of horse is smooth bark hickory  ;D .
Ed K

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #624 on: April 24, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
Looks pretty Awesome. What sizes did you cut up

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #625 on: April 25, 2021, 12:35:22 AM »
Went back to a repeat customer today to make some pine and a few red fir 2x6s. The first 6 or 8 logs were pretty nice 8 in the 24-30 range and the tail gunner struggled to keep up at 380 bd ft hr. Then about the time his helpers showed up, the good wood was gone and we switched to 16 8-14 range and things slowed down. 

2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline jb616

• Full Member x2
  • Hobby Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #626 on: April 25, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »

Milled a couple "Gift logs" from a friend. Mulberry (because I wanted to see what it looked like) and a few Walnut logs. I believe the Walnut were actually limbs because of the stress in them and large amount of sapwood. A couple of the Walnut boards actually split from end to end immediately after the cut. I was able to turn them 90 degrees and salvage the rest.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #627 on: April 25, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
to keep the mulberry yellow keep it out of sunlight.  you can plane a surface and get uv protected. finish on soon and keep it more golden.  otherwise brown.  very nice.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #628 on: April 25, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
here is a bench.  it pops with finish.

this flitch had been in a pile for a year and cleaned up nice.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Trackerbuddy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »
Ive been told the secret to sawing limbs is to cut them in half and let them rest

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #630 on: April 26, 2021, 06:30:39 AM »
here is a bench.  it pops with finish.

Is that mulberry - as in fruit tree with purple or white berries, also leaves that silkworms eat - or another species?
We get mulberry trees here ( silkworm variety) but I've never seen one that would cut a sawlog... They're always scraggly looking things that start branching about a foot above the ground.

Nice boards!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #631 on: April 26, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »
Lurker,

The mulberry you reference is white mulberry.  It is from SE Asia, and was the tree used by the silkworm industry to produce silk.  It is found in the US as an ornamental that was imported from Asia.  The mulberry in the post is red mulberry, our native mulberry in the US.  It is similar to the white silkworm mulberry, but not the same species. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #632 on: April 26, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »
here is a bench.  it pops with finish.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

It POPS indeed, Doc!
Oak legs? That bench looks phenomenal..
Steve
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #633 on: April 26, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »
thanks.  I did not think it would be all that special and did not have mulberry leg stock.  they look close when raw, but very different with finish.  it had sat in a pile and was yucky brown.  nothing a jointer could not fix.  @olcowhand

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #634 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:59 AM »
Lurker,

The mulberry you reference is white mulberry.  It is from SE Asia, and was the tree used by the silkworm industry to produce silk.  It is found in the US as an ornamental that was imported from Asia.  The mulberry in the post is red mulberry, our native mulberry in the US.  It is similar to the white silkworm mulberry, but not the same species.
Thanks. I did a google and got lost in the number of species. I have a white mulberry tree in the yard (that I'm currently fighting the parrots for fruit of - needless to say the parrots are winning) but the most common variety here is a black fruited one. I think it's "black mulberry" but pictures all look the same so it could be "Korean Mulberry" or your "Red Mulberry" or some other species - never knew there were so many mulberry species.
Won't cut a log but they sure taste good. (food, it always comes back to food) :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #635 on: April 26, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »

Saturday I left the house at 6:45 a.m and my wife flagged me down as I started to pull out because the customer called and changed the meeting location. It was a minor difference and probably easier access. I stopped at a Biscuit place and got a steak biscuit and gassed up the mill. On to Charleston. The customer met me 75 miles from my start and led me 15 more miles to the stack of walnut logs in the picture. Our route was directly along the river and the state capital with our famous gold plated dome. The gold is supposed to have come from WV. (I figure it was from my taxes). The customer had scrounged the logs from a sewer line project that took down the tree. He had lost several before he got hold of the right person to get them. Some were good sized but short and hard to load, turn and clamp. I learned one new trick using the lifting arms and a short board to raise and hold the cant while positioning it when the claw and clamp alone wont rotate the log due to its size and shape. I had bought 2 new short chains to go across the lifting arms a tactic which I had used before and they were very helpful here. I think I used nearly every tool I brought including my Magic hook to slide a heavy short odd shaped log forward, scrap boards between the side supports to clamp against, etc. I had to whittle the cant down to fit between roller guides. Id run the head down at the start of most of the logs to make sure I had clearance.

Of course we had at least one obligatory walnut nail. We loaded wide 9/4 LW slabs on his truck until the springs quit moving and we stacked the rest in a nearby yard with a lady in a housecoat who looked like Rose on the Waltons and her 3 ankle biter guard dogs so I am sure they are safe till he returns. The heavy thick dirty bark was hard on my blades and I used 4 cutting about 600-700 bf of lumber. We actually cut more than either I or the customer expected. I finished about 2:00 pm just as the predicted rain started. We were very lucky to have that much time.

I drove on in light rain along I-79 for 67 miles then another 25-30 along state roads, overshot the site by a couple of miles before I could turn around then got in about 5:00 pm, set up the mill, set up my domicile as shown, drove about 6 miles to check find cell service and check in with the wife and Mom who is in the hospital till Sunday afternoon. At least we had warm water in the bath house but I am afraid that may be the last heat of the night. Now to see if I my blow up air mattress holds air and my sleeping bag and quilt is enough for the 40s predicted tonight. The rain is drumming on my tent so I should sleep well. I might should have brought Sampson but he would only serve as a foot warmer not one half of a two dog night.

Most of the logs - it started muddy and got much worse as we drove the tractor through it.

The pond for the campground. Filled with trout and bass. Catfish are coming.

Sunday
              Its after 9:00 pm and Im sitting in a partially finished A-frame cabin where there is a power connection to charge this laptop battery. Im going to go let this charge while I get a shower when I finish updating this epistle.
              I had a cold feet night. Where was Sampson when I needed him! Tonight will also be cold but not as bad. Not sure if my tent leaks or it was condensation. I had some drips and a small puddle in the lower corner. Threw a dirty sock on it to dry it. I got up and went to the mill a few hundred yards away about 7:30 am and got everything lubed and loaded and ready to saw. Customer came down about 8:00  and his helper a few minutes later. We sawed hemlock then a small maple into 2X4s then poplar and a large 10 long, spalted, curly maple into1/2 LE boards with 2- 2 planks for a bookmatch table or such. It was pretty and the customer and helper were thrilled with it. Put 6.7 engine hours on the mill today. Cloudy and I thought wed get rain but it held off.  I think I have about 6 small poplar logs to saw into 4X4s in the morning when we ran out of time.  This is no doubt the muddiest job I have ever worked on. It is on a logging type road through the woods ad by the time the drag the logs to the site and turn the tractor several times the whole area is torn up. I will likely have to back in and turn the mill by hand to hook up tomorrow or we will have to pull it out with the tractor or helpers ATV.
We did not get a tally and the customer hauled the lumber to several sites where it will be used here in the campground but it will be an easy tally in the morning. They fed me breakfast for brunch and a very tasty dinner. The helper was a wood-chopping champion here in WV before he hurt his shoulder in a car wreck. He showed me his competition ax and Id dare say you could shave with it!
              I drove up the road 5 miles to get cell reception and let the wife know I was alive and would be home tomorrow. Called and found Mom was out of the hospital and home and talked with her a little but not sure she understood much.
              Ill let this charge a while and go scrub some sawdust out of the cracks and crevices. Should get this finished and posted tomorrow.

The spalted curly maple. The customer and helper loved this.

The ripples were so bad I had to feel them to determine if I had a tooth out of set but it was in the wood.

These are a couple of the stacks. The rest were over in place where they will be used.

Monday
              I like to froze to death last night and had to get up and find some more clothes to wear so I woke up early and went to the local diner and had a very good breakfast. This town is near Webster Springs where they have a big world famous woodchopping contest Memorial Day. They had a signed copy of the Dont worry I hugged it first T-shirt hanging on the diner wall. The customers saw me come in and they said Oh, youre the sawmill guy Zave brought in. I love small towns.
              We only had 6 more small poplar logs and the customer wanted all 4X4 and said he was using them for timberframe and bow was fine so I sawed a bunch of heart split bananas and told him I was going to have him sign a waiver. He laughed and said he liked the look and some did bow immediately. He was the customer so I gave in. I have rules I always provide the best lumber possible out of the wood I cut but I also have a rule I the customer pays my salary and if after being advised he wants me to do something different and it is not illegal, immoral or unsafe I will try to comply.
              We finished, dragged to mill around with the tractor till I could hook up and drive it out then we tallied a little over 1710 bf which was more than the customers cut list for his imminent projects. The customer settled up in cash with a tip and I went over and packed up my tent and headed home. Total miles for the trip was 330 miles. I got home about 5:00 pm and as I unhooked the mill in the front lot a guy pulled up wanted wood. I told him my rates and he thought hed cut the logs and bring them to me. It never ends. I see I put 8 engine hours on the mill and used 7 blades for resharp.  My debarker earned its way on this trip.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #636 on: April 26, 2021, 08:24:20 PM »
Wow, super trip Howard! If you can't get your clients to put you up in nice 5 star accommodations like MM does then you might want to look into some warmer sleeping gear! ;D
 Glad it all worked out on your first road trip as far as I know. Nothing left behind that you needed, and it all got done as you pretty much expected. It's always hard working out of your normal routine. Maybe this is the new normal? :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #637 on: April 26, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
  Tom - They did feed me though. They actually offered me the use of a camper they had there on the site but I thought the tent would be okay. The customers ladyfriend fixed me, him and our helper and very nice brunch Sunday and a great dinner that night with sausage and the perogis (Sp) - the potato filled pasta, with German Chocolate pecan pie. Yes, I need a better sleeping bag but this was unseasonably cold too. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #638 on: April 26, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »
Howard,

Thanks for sharing the detail of you trip.  I particularly liked the camping description/ vision of your over night experiences.  The wet tent from condensation/ rain sounds familiar though I don't remember using socks to help manage the moisture.   As I read the story I remembered camping trips and back packing with scouts sleeping on a backpacking style air pad waking up to snow on Mt. Philips at Philmont.  I really enjoyed those trips.  I must admit today, I may have to charge an hourly rate to sleep like that again!  :D

Glad you had a safe trip.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #639 on: April 26, 2021, 11:14:14 PM »
@jb616 That's a nice looking clean mulberry log.  I've milled a few too.  Nothing wrong with those.  Generally considered a nuisance tree around me.  They volunteer where you don't want them- wherever a bird perches and poops, you get a mulberry.  Most a pretty much a scrub tree.  If you get an older one with something worth milling, I will mill it.

@doc henderson, Nice table top!  Is that a flitch that you repurposed?  Looks like the outside of the tree on the bottom side?  Nice!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

79 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
by farmfromkansas
question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff