The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??  (Read 104991 times)

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??
« Reply #780 on: May 25, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
Brandi - my 35 does not have the lube mizer, and my Super 70 does so I can tell you first hand that it's worth having.  Time savings is one advantage, lube expense is something, not much, but something, however having my boards come off the mill with zero sawdust, because I am not using too much lube, and keeping a clean band at the same time makes it worth having.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #781 on: May 25, 2021, 10:05:32 PM »
Is a LubeMizer a worthwhile addition?
Absolutely not but I would not be without it.  I bought my sawmill used and it did not have the LubeMizer and I added it.  It is especially worthwhile sawing this sappy Longleaf Pine.  I am continuously watching the blade and the instant I see a buildup I can increase the pulse frequency or switch it to continuous to remove the blade buildup. 

Here was my spectators for this morning. 

I have hit lotsa bullets but this one was apparently flipping because it entered the tree backwards.  No it did not completely penetrate the tree.  The flat tail was toward the inside of the tree and the point toward the bark.  That plus it is the only jacketed/lead core bullet that has ever wrecked a blade.

This is the butt of a ~20" log.  Notice the growth rings :) and you will also notice the pitch. :-X

Yup, the side support roller was long overdue for a polishing.  That also wrecked a blade.  :-X

We are making steady process but it looked like another dozen or so logs were brought in last evening after I left.  We will stop sawing Thursday and I will leave the sawmill on location.  We plan to resume sawing on June 7th.  I did not get a tally on today's sawing but it was average.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #782 on: May 25, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
You are making me drool over the nice vertical grain flooring in those logs MM. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #783 on: May 25, 2021, 10:48:02 PM »
Last month I got the side support twice in one day, I was on fire lol 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #784 on: May 25, 2021, 11:23:49 PM »
Brandi:
Please correct me if I am wrong as I do not know your system.
I think your system lubes just the top of the blade where as the Lubemizer system shoots on both sides of the blade.
The system has two settings flip the switch up and you can adjust the frequency of squirts applied.
Flip the switch to the down position and it is a continuous flow until you stop it.
If the switch is in the center then the system is off.
GAB
GAB,
Correct on mine just squirting one side.  I read up after posting to you, on the Lubemizer, and think I will go ahead and get it.  I can see the switch in squirt and continuous is way better AND faster.
                    hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #785 on: May 26, 2021, 07:16:19 AM »
Lynn, I can see what Southside sees, and that is scary. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #786 on: May 26, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
OK I got to ask, whats the difference between vertical grain and quartersawn? Is it because one is hardwood and one is softwood, are you a little more particular about the grain instead of the fleck , or is it a marketing technique ?

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #787 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »
OK I got to ask, whats the difference between vertical grain and quartersawn? Is it because one is hardwood and one is softwood, are you a little more particular about the grain instead of the fleck , or is it a marketing technique ?
They are the same.  Pine does not have the ray fleck, so you are just sawing for the vertical grain effect.  It is a premium product.

Wud
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Online trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #788 on: May 26, 2021, 01:02:15 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
Brandi:
If you acquire and install a lubemizer system make sure and purchase some spare 2 and 4 amp fuses.
Having a system down for lack of a 2 amp fuse is a bummer.
If I was in your position I would leave the current system as is and add a second one so that in a worst case situation I could do either the gravity flow or the lubemizer system by just changing the hose to the blade lube jug.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #790 on: May 26, 2021, 05:09:27 PM »
I would not even consider leaving the old system and I really doubt that it would be feasable anyway.  I would hate to have to saw without the LubeMizer.

My day started out very well with nothing but large straight Longleaf Pine logs.....until!  Do you see it?

A closer look!!  Yup, this will ruin your morning's sawing.

So I finished sawing the log on the sawmill and then had lunch.  Yup, first time that I have ever made a ham & shrimp sammich. food6

So my customer got back with a skidsteer tire and we were up and running again.....until...

Yup, grapple through the "new" tire.

Not only did it let all of the "magic" air out, it also ruined the evening's sawing.  :-X

I don't think that I sawed but 3 logs today, so certainly no tally.  The above is what we have stickered; 1X8's on the far left then 2X8's, 2X6's, 2X14 slabs, and 6X6's. 

Maybe with the skidsteer back into operation we can get some sawing done tomorrow, then I will be off until June 7th.  The sawmill will stay at this location.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #791 on: May 26, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »
Seems like there should be a physical stop on the grapple to prevent just that tire damage.
How was the sammich?
I agree about removing my old system.  I would think some of has to be reused anyway.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #792 on: May 26, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Two skid steer tires in one day. There's no patch for that!
Yikes!
Somebody said a few FF days ago: "You'll remember a bought lesson much long than a taught lesson." 😖 
Switching over to forks might save somebody a lot of aggrivation, and money, plus that red face feeling, when showing up at the tire shop twice. . . . on the same day.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #793 on: May 26, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
Seems like there should be a physical stop on the grapple to prevent just that tire damage. How was the sammich?
I would agree about a stop but who knows what adaptations might have been done with/to the attachments to connect that grapple to that skidsteer.

The sammich was most excellent.  Guess that I shoulda taken a picture of my evening meal.  Blackened rainbow trout with a "New Orleans" something with shrimp on top.  Also most excellent.

Yes Southside and WDH, those logs are also "most excellent".

Two new jobs came in today and them wanting to know how quickly I could get there and I have no idea how I am gonna do those that are already on the book.  When I finish a job I call the oldest which is how it works.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #794 on: May 26, 2021, 08:12:14 PM »
Magicman:
In reply to your following statement:
"I would not even consider leaving the old system and I really doubt that it would be feasable anyway."
Those of us living in the glaciated north (@WDH term I believe) sometimes only need to saw one or two logs and not 
wanting to have to rewinterize the lube pump just use the gravity system.  I added it to my mill strictly for that reason.
Not winterizing the lube system I believe is why I'm on the third pump.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #795 on: May 26, 2021, 08:26:58 PM »
Thankfully I do not live in the Glaciated North but I still use a freeze proof lube mix in the Winter, which would not freeze anyway, and also purge my LubeMizer with RV antifreeze when I stop for the day.

I am surprised that you choose to not use a freeze proof lube mix in the Winter.  :o

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #796 on: May 26, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
I cut every tree that grows in NH. And cut dry. from time to time I turn on the water for 1 or 2 cuts then off comes stuff on the blade. 5 gal every 8 weeks or so. What a lot of sawers do is cut too slow and dulls and gums up the blade.
And I have recut longleaf Pine dry too.

But I will say it can be painful sometimes :D

:D ;)
This blade hit iron so I left the pitch on.
99% dry cutting.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #797 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:36 PM »
Big bummer on skid steer tires.  Though it seems if it caught one side  it would catch the other side.  Maybe cut off the offending grapple tooth or grind it from canine to molar.

By the way, initially I thought it was pine grubs with ham.  steve_smiley 

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #798 on: May 27, 2021, 01:46:45 AM »
Magicman:
In reply to your following statement:
"I would not even consider leaving the old system and I really doubt that it would be feasable anyway."
Those of us living in the glaciated north (@WDH term I believe) sometimes only need to saw one or two logs and not
wanting to have to rewinterize the lube pump just use the gravity system.  I added it to my mill strictly for that reason.
Not winterizing the lube system I believe is why I'm on the third pump.
GAB
What...........does..............winterize...............mean? ???  Ya gotta remember, I leave my water hoses out all year. ;D
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2021, 02:59:00 AM »
What...........does..............winterize...............mean?  

Folks living in the seriously cold climates have to prepare their vehicles / equipment / houses for winter. Things we take for granted freeze up, like diesel fuel, water pipes, brass monkeys etc. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

79 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
by farmfromkansas