iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I had a side wall blow out on big Bob this week. I have a spare set of wheels and tires. The tires are weather cracked. It will get me by for the moment. 
I ask that my bands not get flat packed. I don't care for the flat packs.
Many trailer loads of sawn wood have left the mill all ready this week.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Andries

@bindian, this is what winterized looks like.

But it's not so bad, 'cause it's a dry cold, y'know?  😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

that's funny, cause they have dry heat in Texas, as it is not the heat, but the humidity! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Quote from: Magicman on May 26, 2021, 05:09:27 PM

So I finished sawing the log on the sawmill and then had lunch.  Yup, first time that I have ever made a ham & shrimp sammich. food6

When I first saw this I thought it was pine grubs. About lost my breakfast.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Darrel

Quote from: alan gage on May 27, 2021, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: Magicman on May 26, 2021, 05:09:27 PM

So I finished sawing the log on the sawmill and then had lunch.  Yup, first time that I have ever made a ham & shrimp sammich. food6

When I first saw this I thought it was pine grubs. About lost my breakfast.
Alan
Grubs from a pine tree or grubs from the sea, six of one or half dozen of the other. (Old saying)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

GAB

Quote from: Andries on May 27, 2021, 08:27:38 AM

But it's not so bad, 'cause it's a dry cold, y'know?  😆
Andries:
Good one.
Now can you come up with a picture of someone with icicles attached to the mustache, beard, eyelashes, and fogged up eye protectors, with exhaling steam.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

You ain't havin' fun until you've got a pound of ice in your beard. ;D

My lube tank goes inside with me every night in winter, rarely use WW fluid. I run hot water with a shot of Pine Sol, scrape the sawdust off before it freezes. One of my dream sawmill mods is make a built in hot water heater for the mill. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

. . . and if Stihl offers heated handles on a chainsaw, why not on a sawmill?  😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

I bought a coil of cooper tubing and planned to wrap the exhaust on my log splitter.  could have a water tank, and get instant hot/warm water for washing or hot chocolate.  It was though I might be out in the wilderness for days splitting wood.  It mostly stays at home in the same spot, so i can get hot stuff 100 feet away.  I take it to camp Alaska each Feb.  but now that copper is worth more than the log splitter.   :D :D  would have a fun novelty to make instant hot water from the log splitter.  might do it someday for fun.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

Andries:
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

Quote from: Ianab on May 27, 2021, 02:59:00 AMThings we take for granted freeze up, like diesel fuel, water pipes, brass monkeys etc. 

That's gotta mean something different there than it did to a kid growing up listening to the Beastie Boys in the '80s. :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

On a ship in the colonial times the canon balls were stored on deck on a brass plate. The plate was called a "Brass monkey". When the weather got cold the brass would shrink and the cannon balls would fall of the monkey.
So, the saying is that it was cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Patrick NC

Quote from: Southside on May 27, 2021, 01:44:48 PM
Quote from: Ianab on May 27, 2021, 02:59:00 AMThings we take for granted freeze up, like diesel fuel, water pipes, brass monkeys etc.

That's gotta mean something different there than it did to a kid growing up listening to the Beastie Boys in the '80s. :D
You just gave me a flashback with that one! 🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

tmarch

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Magicman

I do not mind eating Pine Grubs but I prefer them as appetizers.

Brandi, Most if not all of us use Winter windshield washer fluid in the lube tank.  If it is 0° formula I generally mix it 50-50 with water.  I can sometime find -20° so I only put a gallon in.  RV antifreeze is -100° and I sometime use it to purge my pump when I shut down.  It's certainly an overkill, but I have never had a pump freeze either.   We seldom see the teens and very rarely single digits so any of the above WW fluids will work for purging, just use your best judgment.  Of course your "freeze line" is probably about what mine is.

It surely was nice working today with a skidsteer that had no flat tire.

Some of the vertical wood grain that Southside and WDH were drooling over.

1X12's with the other lumber in the background.

1X8's with the 1X12's in the background.

All of the lumber with the 1X12's in the far background.  I only sawed 3 logs yesterday and we quit at 3:00 this afternoon so putting it together I actually sawed 3 days. I started with 64 logs and have 31 left.  Total yield so far is 7102 bf.  I left the sawmill and will return to this job on June 7th.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'm embarrassed to post after seeing MMs logs and stack of lumber but since I am not on some survival show I ain't eating no grubs! Like I always said about a possum "Times ain't got that hard yet." 

I piddled with my composting toilet and made 2 rough looking but serviceable windows. The plexiglass is thin enough I can just cut a groove with the finger eating table saw and it slips right in. I had to stop and sold a little maple to a guy who found my ad on craigslist. The firsts tack looked pretty rough but he would have been okay then I remembered a second stack and got him what he needed out of it. I'll start using the other stuff for making outhouse floors or box  seats or such to use it up.

I had a neighbor called and wanted 2- 2.5"X6"X 16' bridge timbers. I told him all I had was poplar and it was not good for ground contact but he said cut them as they'd likely outlast him and his brother. I had a 16' spruce left from my planter project and bucked it to 6' and 10' and cut it into 2X4's. I got in a hurry and rippled over a couple of knots typical of spruce. Not something I would ever sell but I can use it for my projects. 

Spruce on/at the loading arms and 16' poplar to the right 

No pictures of my ugly embarrassing spruce but this is the 16' poplar. Mostly 1X8s that I will buck to 8' or 10' & 8' and stack tomorrow plus the 10/4 bridge timbers.  

Still on the mill a 10/4 X 6" timber with a ragged end (I had some shake in the butt log) and about 12' of 10/4X4" that ran out. It has so much tension in it I can't resaw down to 8/4 so I'll use if for project wood around the house for something. I'll deliver the 2-10/4 to my neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road tomorrow. About 307 bf out of everything I sawed this afternoon.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mountainmindset

I've been milling up a few smaller chestnut oaks into 2"x8"x20' for trailer decking. Still have a few to go, but here's a video of me cutting the first two if anyone is interested. 
https://youtu.be/1Tz3zFr633o

TimW

Whoa..........I never saw it cold enough to wear a dust mask. ::)  Dry cold is easy.  It is the humidity in the 90s here that take people out.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on May 27, 2021, 09:08:32 AM
that's funny, cause they have dry heat in Texas, as it is not the heat, but the humidity! :D :D :D
Doc,
No dry heat here.  Only in West Texas, the Panhandle, and Dallas.  We got we humid heat here AND humid cold.  Typical Jan. weather is raining and 40 degrees.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on May 27, 2021, 09:39:14 PM

Brandi, Most if not all of us use Winter windshield washer fluid in the lube tank.  If it is 0° formula I generally mix it 50-50 with water.  I can sometime find -20° so I only put a gallon in.  RV antifreeze is -100° and I sometime use it to purge my pump when I shut down.  It's certainly an overkill, but I have never had a pump freeze either.   We seldom see the teens and very rarely single digits so any of the above WW fluids will work for purging, just use your best judgment.  Of course your "freeze line" is probably about what mine is.

Lynn,
Where can I buy Winter windshield washer fluid? ???  I have never seen Winter windshield washer fluid. ::)  We just have windshield washer fluid here. :D  Can you just disconnect from the tank and run the LubeMizer until it stops squirting? :snowball:
hugs,  Brandi

olcowhand

Quote from: GAB on May 27, 2021, 09:43:14 AM

Andries:
Good one.
Now can you come up with a picture of someone with icicles attached to the mustache, beard, eyelashes, and fogged up eye protectors, with exhaling steam.
Gerald
We call 'em "Snoticles".....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Old Greenhorn

This would be a 'wet cold'.

The winter humidity really takes it out of ya. Noting at all like the cold you get up at altitude in places like NM or CO where it can get a lot colder but not feel as bad.

OTOH I have been in east TX in July with the temp at 96° and the humidity at 99% (no rain) and you can swipe your hand through the air and it comes up wet. I'll take the dry over the wet anytime, heat or cold.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nativewolf

Quote from: Mountainmindset on May 27, 2021, 10:46:28 PM
I've been milling up a few smaller chestnut oaks into 2"x8"x20' for trailer decking. Still have a few to go, but here's a video of me cutting the first two if anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/1Tz3zFr633o
You'll fit right on in, welcome to the forum.  
The CO was green, are you worried about it shrinking on the deck?  What says the forum?  I'm a bit concerned with selling trailer decking because I think people would install green and it might shrink in ways that caused issues.  Here it is all on mountainmindset so that's cool but for the general public ?
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Brandi, yup here it's mostly +32° stuff.  During the Winter WalMart might have 0° and sometime -20°.  Our RV isle almost always has the -100° RV stuff but it is kinda pricey but for purging you don't use much.  I run it dry and then run it until it squirts. 

I installed a quick connect on the hose at the lube tank and then have a short section of hose that I connect that reaches the bottom of the jug.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!