iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Not so far "road trip", three miles away.  I looked at these logs while they were still trees and have been waiting for the customer to get ready.

I moved and set the sawmill up this morning for tomorrow's sawing.  Home building has already begun in the background.

The log whack is uphill and the logs should handle very nicely.  We will take the tractor/FEL and adjust that large top log toward the rear a couple of feet before we begin sawing.  All of the others are OK.  I should have taken another step to the left because the logs are more centered than they appear.  

Twenty 12' to 16' logs ~14" to 34" diameter which will all be sawn into framing lumber.  The home builder and his helper will be my tailgunners. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jb616

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2021, 12:17:55 PM
Not so far "road trip", three miles away.  I looked at these logs while they were still trees and have been waiting for the customer to get ready.

I moved and set the sawmill up this morning for tomorrow's sawing.  Home building has already begun in the background.

The log whack is uphill and the logs should handle very nicely.  We will take the tractor/FEL and adjust that large top log toward the rear a couple of feet before we begin sawing.  All of the others are OK.  I should have taken another step to the left because the logs are more centered than they appear.  

Twenty 12' to 16' logs ~14" to 34" diameter which will all be sawn into framing lumber.  The home builder and his helper will be my tailgunners.
I would love to see a certain @Jeff  Youtube channel tape the "master" on sawing dimensional lumber as I play mostly with Hardwoods and Hobbyist cuts.  I have read your posts before and have dabbled in dimensional but there is  nothing like seeing it in "person". 

Magicman

I have often thought about such a video, but it would have to be someone else behind the camera.  When I am sawing I am sorta in a "zone" and I am too busy with the job at hand to be distracted by anything.

Tomorrow's log whack would be a prime example with many different opportunities to make a video since we will be sawing whatever dimensions that the logs want to give.  :P

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2021, 01:11:05 PM
  When I am sawing I am sorta in a "zone" and I am too busy with the job at hand to be distracted by anything.

Yep, in the zone.  It's like, leave me alone I am sawing!
I just realized and starting to see, by watching blade tension, when the blade starts getting dull.  So, I have increased my speed thru the cut a little and am more focused on the gauge more..................eh, after I make sure the blade won't strike a backstop or clamp.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Jeff

I'd do the video, but somehow I need a teleportation station.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KenMac

Quote from: Jeff on June 09, 2021, 01:42:10 PM
"Beam me down Magic Man."
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Resonator

Maybe Mr. Magic Man could move his marvelous mechanical mobile mill from Mississippi to Michigan to make a major movie?  ???
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

I do believe there is a tractor that was centered around a relocation discussion but colder weather put off the adventure. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

olcowhand

Quote from: Jeff on June 09, 2021, 01:42:10 PM
ROAD TRIP!!!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

richhiway

Cut this ugly Pine into slabs.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Half live edge half live edge one side.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

I did one of those today and will have another to do tomorrow on a 26" SYP log. 

My sawing went very well but I only sawed 6½ hours due to some customer distractions.

2080 bf of framing lumber plus the slabs.

There were 20 logs and we will saw these last 5 in the morning.  I don't know what that bad dude on the left is gonna make.  Knotty logs make low quality knotty lumber.  The center log will make mostly 1 or 2 live edge slabs for kitchen, etc. counter tops.

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2021, 07:30:13 PM

I don't know what that bad dude on the left is gonna make.  Knotty logs make low quality knotty lumber. 
I use them for stickers and/or 4x4 four foot cribbing for my welding shop.  So they are cut 4 foot, which allows artistic license around the knots.
             hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

richhiway

text from a regular customer for a 9X10X10 live on one edge beam.Hemlock.
Never know what someone needs.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Yup richhiway, scratch where it itches.  8)

Dave Shepard

I cut a parallelogram this week, only this time it was on purpose!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RAYAR

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 11, 2021, 11:44:57 AM
I cut a parallelogram this week, only this time it was on purpose!

I had to cut one very similar to that one last fall, a beam with one sloped face.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Southside

Curious as to the intended purpose.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I finished the 20 log job plus a couple of ERC mantels, etc. for another customer today.

4098 bf of 2X4's plus a few single and two live edge slabs for the customer's wife & daughter.  All of this is for the customer's new 4K+ square foot home.  The above was sawn in 7½ hours.

I have more framing lumber scheduled for next week for another repeat customer.  

RAYAR

Quote from: Southside on June 11, 2021, 08:08:49 PM
Curious as to the intended purpose.  
If this is asking about the one sloped face beam, it's for support of a shallow sloped roof over a deck. I believe it has 2" X 4" framing and needs additional support centrally across to support snow loads.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

burdman_22

Finished milling the osage orange finally (been super swamped and hadn't had time). Question, is osage orange a desirable wood for tables and whatnot? I have no idea how to price slabs like these. They are all 2.5 inches thick, 10 ft long, and range from 2 ft wide to 3 ft wide. I'm really unsure about the x shaped one(s) at the end

So these two slabs actually nest into one another, this is where the two trees were growing/twisted together. I imagine someone could make a very cool table out of this maybe....I'll know more once it dries and I know whether it splits and cracks and stuff, though I think osage is pretty stable from what I've read. I'd have NO IDEA what to even think something like this would be worth to someone wanting to build a table out of though. Suggestions anyone? (I'm not even sure I'm allowed to post questions like this, so if not, I apologize and I understand if the post gets removed).

Ljohnsaw

I'd say the X piece is worth at least 1 SGU maybe even 2!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Nebraska

2sgu plus maybe a pygmy unit ...  :)

That really is a neat piece. 

JRWoodchuck

Those are all really unique pieces of wood. I'd think starting at $10 bd/ft maybe more for the super neat one!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

burdman_22

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 12, 2021, 12:26:11 AM
I'd say the X piece is worth at least 1 SGU maybe even 2!
What is an SGU?

Thank You Sponsors!