iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

The equivalent of $300.  Next you will want to know why.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TimW

It is that time again.  Sticker time.

When I have bucked a lot of logs and the ends are less than 8 feet, I cut them down to 4 feet to saw 4x4 cribbing.  I delivered a 4x4 pallet of 56 yesterday to my friendly welding shop.  

The wood removed to get down to a cant, I cut at 1 & 1/8" for stickers.

Who likes cutting stickers?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Resonator

You can never have too many stickers. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Quote from: burdman_22 on June 12, 2021, 12:31:57 PMWhat is an SGU?
The Forestry Forum Dictionary located within the "Extra" folder above is your friend.  :)
There are also many other goodies and tools that Jeff has provided for us, not only there, but also just above the "posting box".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

John and I sawed devilwood this morning.  We started with a large Pecan log and finished with a Pignut Hickory.  They sawed flat with a new 7° Kasco .050" blade.  We need to buy or make fine adjust outriggers.  I'm over the lever outriggers.  We still have some live oak we need to saw and 30 new blades should be on the way.

For those who are interested, this was a standing, live pecan tree this week and sawed into slabs this morning.  It already has ambrosia beetles in it-see the straws?
Caveman

WDH

Yep, those ambrosia beetles are quick on the draw.  They leave the wood very quickly after it is sawn.  I see this all the time in pine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

They are actually your friend with Pecan and will leave those black stained holes that furniture builders mimic with black ink spots.  ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Quote from: caveman on June 12, 2021, 07:53:11 PMThey sawed flat with a new 7° Kasco .050" blade.  We need to buy or make fine adjust outriggers.  I'm over the lever outriggers.  We still have some live oak we need to saw and 30 new blades should be on the way.
Great bands and a good price.  I can saw 32" wide and stay flat in anything.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TimW

Quote from: Resonator on June 12, 2021, 03:53:32 PM
You can never have too many stickers. ;D
I had a customer (builder) bring them back the next day.  Another customer will bring some back June 30th, along with some old growth fence row cedar.  I can't wait to see the cedar.  Stickers, not so much. ::)
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

longtime lurker

I am coming to love saturdays... the day when I get to run the saw not chase my tail around a sawmill... and cut all the fun things that aren't part of the usual daily grind. Like the lonely White Carabeen that got left in the yard "too long" and got some spalt happening, along with the two-tone colouration.

Methinks some more of it might have to sit for "too long" It's going to make some pretty handy looking wall panelling.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Stephen1

I was at job this week, 2 days. My favourite type of job, A farmer with lots of equipment, 100 horse tractor and big skid steer. One on either side of the mill for loading and unloading. We did slabs and a lot of 4/4 QS ash. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

My customer sent me the cut list for his new home that I will start sawing framing lumber for next week.

16,295 bf total.  I will saw the first 5 items first as they are for the foundation and he will have those treated.  He and I will visit the sawing/building site this afternoon and hopefully I can begin sawing by Tuesday.

Peter Drouin

Are you cutting full-size lumber now? Your numbers look like you are.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

All of the lumber that I saw is rounded up to the next full inch and scaled accordingly.  Dimension or full size are scaled and billed at the same rate.  This is plainly stated in the sawing contract that both the customer and I sign before any sawing is done.

That is the way it is and the way that it has always been.  In over 19 years I don't recall sawing but 2 jobs full size.

Andries

That's great news MM - here's hoping that Tuesday sees you digging into that big cut list.
Assuming is usually dangerous, so I'll ask: has your customer checked with the "powers that be" to use your WM milled framing lumber, after a time air drying? 
. . . or has he got a kiln and an licensed lumber grader booked after you've finished?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Here is what is printed on the backside of my Sawmilling Contract of which the customer gets a signed copy and I retain a signed copy:

1.  County and City building permit requirements?
2.  Lending institution requirements?
3.  Does the blueprint specify/allow rough sawn lumber?
4.  Will your insurance cover a dwelling built with rough sawn lumber?
5.  Will your builder/carpenter build with rough sawn lumber?

Andries

Understood, you're wise to cover off the liabilities involved.
Do you know if he has answers to the questions?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

This customer told me that this lumber will go to a kiln and that the foundation lumber will be treated.  Beyond that, I have no idea. 

I make sure that the customers read the 5 items but what they do beyond that I have no idea.  I have not seen any intended homes not built nor lumber fail to disappear.

There is one county within 60 miles of me where I have never sawn framing lumber.  When folks call from that county I suggest that they call their permit office.

Andries

Thanks for that MM.
Knowing how to send a blade through a log is a big part of the job - knowing the related market facts and "reading" a client may be just as big.
As usual, you've got your finger on the pulse. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Your good salesmen to talk your customers into paying for air. 
I have been sawing for 34 + years and can't do that up here.  :D
In N.H a bf is 12"x12"x1" My 2x4x8 is 5.3 bf not 3.5. If I cut 1"1/2 x 3.1/2 times a100 that's a lot of free $$
Happy you can do that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Peter - I have had plenty of folks try to beat me up on that as well, I simply explain that the handling is the same and my quality far exceeds what the box store sells, so it's their choice on nominal or full dimension, but the price is calculated at full dimension.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

burdman_22

Didn't get to start milling today, but this is my next project!

Tom the Sawyer

My primary focus is custom milling my clients' logs but I try to have a supply of various species on hand for those clients that want more lumber but don't have their own logs.  Lately I have had a lot of requests for eastern red cedar but my normal suppliers, local tree guys, have not been able to come up with anything over about 10" SED.  A person building a new home near by got my name from a neighbor and called to ask if I wanted some free trees (we've heard that one before), telling me that they were already down, pulled out with a track hoe, and that she hated to see them wasted.  She said they were cedar and 'pretty big'.  

I dropped by one morning and found a pile of tree length, including rootballs, about 15' high.  Although I would normally pass, they weren't perfect but they were bigger than anything I have been able to source so I decided to harvest them myself.  Truck, chains, chainsaws and a helpful wife, in two mornings we got all the good logs.

I'm a one-man business so I had to take a break to answer the phone.  Got 16 logs in all.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Crossroads

Been milling 1x12 and 1x3 for board and bat siding the last couple of days. This pile of logs is shrinking slower than I expected. Hopefully I can be done by about noon tomorrow. I'll try to remember to get pictures of the wrap around deck that is timber framed with beams that I milled last year.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

donbj

Quote from: Crossroads on June 14, 2021, 01:08:11 AM
Been milling 1x12 and 1x3 for board and bat siding the last couple of days. This pile of logs is shrinking slower than I expected. Hopefully I can be done by about noon tomorrow. I'll try to remember to get pictures of the wrap around deck that is timber framed with beams that I milled last year.

Got some nice wood there!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!