iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 13, 2021, 10:11:20 PMYour good salesmen to talk your customers into paying for air.
Peter, I knew full well where you were going with your scaling question and considered ignoring it, but there are many readers that expect answers so I answered it based on my business profile.

Your business profile is selling lumber and apparently you do it very successfully, and I agree with your lumber scaling.  

I sell nothing, not even air.  My business profile is a sawing service and I saw customer's logs at their location into whatever dimension that they specify and the scaling is clearly defined before any sawing is done.  I too am very successful.

For you to even insinuate that either I or my business profile is dishonest in any way is in poor form.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I've been sawing white oak posts and beams for a guy.  On his last load he threw on a couple of small walnut logs.  They were my tip!

The logs came from a heavy leaner tree, were crooked, and really small.  I thought about turning bowls from them but just too small.  Decided to cut charcuterie stock.  They were the perfect size for that and will work well with resin art.  I sawed 1-1/4" thick.  When dry this fall I might put the family kids on them making Christmas presents or sell as charcuterie kits.

8" SED and crooked.  Live edge sawing goes fast but I suspect I only got a whopping 30 or 40 board foot out of the two logs I sawed.  Still that's $150-$200 of product when dry, costing about 20 minutes of saw time.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

For you to even insinuate that either I or my business profile is dishonest in any way is in poor form.

I was not trying to say you are dishonest at all. 
Sorry if you feel that way. 
I know your customers understand the pricing before you start sawing.

Pricing for full size and sawing dressed lumber size, in the end, is not the same bf of lumber is all.  

It's not dishonest to charge for full-size and cut dress sizes when the customer knows it.

I do wish you well. You do well for an old guy. ;)
I mean no disrespect to you, Sorry if I upset you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 14, 2021, 01:07:50 PMSorry if I upset you.
No one is upset here, and we are good.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

Quote from: Bindian on June 11, 2021, 12:11:28 AM
Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2021, 07:30:13 PM

I don't know what that bad dude on the left is gonna make.  Knotty logs make low quality knotty lumber.  
I use them for stickers and/or 4x4 four foot cribbing for my welding shop.  So they are cut 4 foot, which allows artistic license around the knots.
            hugs,  Brandi
Yes Brandi, Johnny Jett sure seems like a good man.
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

OlJarhead

Meanwhile, to answer the question:  whatcha sawin' 2021

D-Logs mostly!  Trying desperately to get many of them milled up (I need to do that math) with little time to devote to the project and less than normal since I moved another 70 miles further away!

But I did agree to mill up 80 logs for an old customer....he keeps twisting my arm!!!  Darn it, but it will likely be the ONLY project I take on for someone else this year.  He's a great guy and does awesome work (and is an inspiration as he has Parkinsons but keeps going!) so I agreed, for a price, to mill these 80 logs.  All 16 footers but a handful of 20 footers and all supposedly 18-36" diameter.  

I better get back to walking so I'm ready for the long haul on this one!  Going to take some time off work for it too.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on June 14, 2021, 08:06:28 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 13, 2021, 10:11:20 PMYour good salesmen to talk your customers into paying for air.
Peter, I knew full well where you were going with your scaling question and considered ignoring it, but there are many readers that expect answers so I answered it based on my business profile.

Your business profile is selling lumber and apparently you do it very successfully, and I agree with your lumber scaling.  

I sell nothing, not even air.  My business profile is a sawing service and I saw customer's logs at their location into whatever dimension that they specify and the scaling is clearly defined before any sawing is done.  I too am very successful.

I did the same exact thing when I was custom sawing. The price changed when it went to 1"
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

My customer sent me another cut list tonight which is considerably different from the one I posted in Reply #911:

About 12Mbf more lumber.  The framing lumber changed and he added wall paneling and ceiling 1X6's.  I will meet the customer and the builder on site tomorrow evening so we shall see.

This could get very interesting before da fat lady sings.  ;D

Southside

MM - with that list you might need to get a portable "Tree Smoother" before it's all said and done.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Quote from: donbj on June 14, 2021, 01:41:00 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on June 14, 2021, 01:08:11 AM
Been milling 1x12 and 1x3 for board and bat siding the last couple of days. This pile of logs is shrinking slower than I expected. Hopefully I can be done by about noon tomorrow. I'll try to remember to get pictures of the wrap around deck that is timber framed with beams that I milled last year.

Got some nice wood there!
Yes, it was nice wood, I think there were only 4 or 5 logs that I couldn't get at least a few 1x12's out of. Although they were a bit dirty and even with the debarker, were hard on blades. 
Well, didn't finish by noon, it ended up being a full day to finish. It was hot and I was ready to be done for the day, so I didn't get any pictures, sorry. If I'm lucky, customer will text me a couple pics tomorrow. Off to Sagle Idaho tomorrow to start what is estimated to be a 3 day job. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Patrick NC

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 14, 2021, 12:02:28 AM
My primary focus is custom milling my clients' logs but I try to have a supply of various species on hand for those clients that want more lumber but don't have their own logs.  Lately I have had a lot of requests for eastern red cedar but my normal suppliers, local tree guys, have not been able to come up with anything over about 10" SED.  A person building a new home near by got my name from a neighbor and called to ask if I wanted some free trees (we've heard that one before), telling me that they were already down, pulled out with a track hoe, and that she hated to see them wasted.  She said they were cedar and 'pretty big'.  

I dropped by one morning and found a pile of tree length, including rootballs, about 15' high.  Although I would normally pass, they weren't perfect but they were bigger than anything I have been able to source so I decided to harvest them myself.  Truck, chains, chainsaws and a helpful wife, in two mornings we got all the good logs.

I'm a one-man business so I had to take a break to answer the phone.  Got 16 logs in all.
Hard to pass up big cedar!
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Bruno of NH

My red neck log deck.
Set it up last week to try out.
Its working out great.
I will weld some things to it and cut back some sharp points.
Then paint it .
I'm doing maintenance and repair/builds on the weekends. 
I can't find weekend help this year.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

richhiway

Don't try this for the first time at the end of the day when you are tired.......
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

I think red necks have a bad wrap Bruno, I like your log deck and will probably be coming up with something similar in the near future. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

The steel is much easier to move odd shaped logs.
They can be pushed with a peavy or slid along.
Much faster.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

That's good to know, thank you. 

I'm not sawing for the next few days, I picked up a excavation job and will be laying about 1200' of water line. 

Resonator

One advantage I found with my makeshift log deck is it could take the abuse of dropping logs on it, without worrying about knocking the mill out of alignment by loading directly on it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

cutterboy

Quote from: Resonator on June 19, 2021, 09:53:57 AM
One advantage I found with my makeshift log deck is it could take the abuse of dropping logs on it, without worrying about knocking the mill out of alignment by loading directly on it.
Exactly! Loading directly onto the mill with a fel or forks or grapple is always taking a chance.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

DPatton

Saturday June 12th the sawmill and I traveled 81 miles to saw walnut slabs in Emerson Iowa. My first photo of the day was sunrise over the Missouri River from the highway 2 bridge at Nebraska City. It was a pleasant reminder of all the time I've spent fishing and waterskiing on that particularly piece of water. In the mirror you can see the TK1600 in tow behind my truck.

The customer had at least twenty walnut logs scattered about in several piles waiting to be sawn. He also had a John Deere skid loader for bringing the logs to the mills loading arms.

The sawing took 8 hours and the logs were all turned into either 1 1/2" or 2 5/8" live edged slabs. The client had a 14' x 8' dump box type gooseneck trailer that we filled with over #9000 lbs of slabs. The rest of the slabs were dead stacked in the driveway to be hauled away in two more trips. It wasn't until I had left the job that I realized I never took photos of the trailer full of slabs or the slabs dead stacked in the drive but I did take a photo of this one on the sawmill.

Thanks for looking!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

richhiway

I figured it out in the morning.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

DPatton

FYesterday I traveled 44 miles to a saw for a repeat customer south of Johnson Nebraska. The customer had an assortment of logs of his own as well as one oak log brought in from a nearby neighbor and a couple big oak logs brought over by his cousin who lives in the house just up the road from him.

We started the day off with a walnut log that was sawn into 5/4" lumber. Some live edge, some square edged boards.

Then a large 497 bf Burr Oak log that was only 8'-8" long. I had to trim off a little flair here and there to make it fit. This log was brought over by the clients cousin and had been salvaged out of an old dead oak that had fallen into his creek some years back. You can see this log in the weeds just to the right of the saw head in the photo below. 

Some of the oak boards produced from that log.

Miscellaneous Hackberry, pine, cedar, oak, and walnut 5/4" boards, live edge slabs, and 6"x6"s

And the wide, knotty, pitch filled, difficult to saw ponderosa pine slabs below that I seriously struggled with. I was not happy with the way the two slabs on the left turned out. I even tried re-sawing the wide ones with two different brands of new blades and couldn't get a flat cut. So I deducted the time spent on these from my billing. 

Last off was some 5/4" walnut crotch slabs and dry stickers cut out of scrap 2x boards the client had. 

Thanks for looking.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

TimW

Quote from: richhiway on June 20, 2021, 07:10:38 PM

Is that a shiplap attachment?  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Y'all!
            hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

LogPup

Quote from: DPatton on June 20, 2021, 04:30:25 PM
Saturday June 12th the sawmill and I traveled 81 miles to saw walnut slabs in Emerson Iowa. My first photo of the day was sunrise over the Missouri River from the highway 2 bridge at Nebraska City. It was a pleasant reminder of all the time I've spent fishing and waterskiing on that particularly piece of water. In the mirror you can see the TK1600 in tow behind my truck.

The customer had at least twenty walnut logs scattered about in several piles waiting to be sawn. He also had a John Deere skid loader for bringing the logs to the mills loading arms.

The sawing took 8 hours and the logs were all turned into either 1 1/2" or 2 5/8" live edged slabs. The client had a 14' x 8' dump box type gooseneck trailer that we filled with over #9000 lbs of slabs. The rest of the slabs were dead stacked in the driveway to be hauled away in two more trips. It wasn't until I had left the job that I realized I never took photos of the trailer full of slabs or the slabs dead stacked in the drive but I did take a photo of this one on the sawmill.

Thanks for looking!
Last time I crossed that bridge they were building levies around Sapp Bros truck stop.

GAB

Quote from: Bindian on June 20, 2021, 10:47:32 PM

Is that a shiplap attachment?  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Y'all!
           hugs,  Brandi
Brandi:
If you look at reply 937 you can see the SLR under the cant and on top of the bed rails.
The SLR can be used to make tapered siding and shingles.
For more information see the W-M web site.
If you do not use the SLR properly you can make some nice thin parallel boards.  I know cause I done dooded it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

richhiway

Quote from: Bindian on June 20, 2021, 10:47:32 PM

Is that a shiplap attachment?  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Y'all!
           hugs,  Brandi
Yes that is the Woodmizer jig just to the left.
I bought it used and this was the first time I used it. Works great.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!