iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

I am like you with the dentist and fall asleep in the chair. Once when I was in the USMC a Navy Lt. Cmdr was working on me and I fell asleep and he had to wake me up to open my mouth so he could get his thumb free.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: GAB on June 26, 2021, 02:34:21 PM
Brandi:
If you can sleep through a root canal your better than me.
GAB
Actually, I did fall asleep in the oral surgeon's chair during a root canal.
  hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

while other women get hair, nails and massage, you get a hole in your retina, food poisoning and a root canal.  :) you rock. best regards, Doc!   
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 26, 2021, 02:56:28 PM
Brandi,

I am like you with the dentist and fall asleep in the chair. Once when I was in the USMC a Navy Lt. Cmdr was working on me and I fell asleep and he had to wake me up to open my mouth so he could get his thumb free.
Yea - OK, that was an "accident"...  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Brandi,

What's so good about root canals is your mouth is wedged open and you are told to relax your jaw.  I did have a dentist from 1979 until 3 years ago, that didn't use all the newer trappings and always had to tell me................open wide.  He had a squirt water fountain with dixie cups.  Still does to this day.   Talk about being surprised at all the new dental gadgets when I changed dentists!  WOW.  Just wished I would have changed sooner!
           hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on June 26, 2021, 08:56:41 PM
while other women get hair, nails and massage, you get a hole in your retina, food poisoning and a root canal.  :) you rock. best regards, Doc!  
Doc,
  What can I say....................I am getting bored.  Wait, when did I get a root canal?

hugs, Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Southside on June 26, 2021, 09:55:52 PM
Brandi,

Yea - OK, that was an "accident"...  ;D
What was an accident?  Howard falling asleep or the Lt. Cmdr. getting his thumb stuck? :D :D :D
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

I think I am feeling better now.  Thanks for putting up with me, Y'all.
       hugs,  Brandi

DPatton

Yesterday's saw job was located 32 miles away just a couple miles outside of Nebraska City. This was my first time sawing for the customer. The logs were all cottonwood and were to be sawn into 2"x6"x16' for pole barn purlins and 2"x12"x12' for hay trailer decking. Knowing that the client has had custom sawing done before and that he had ample support equipment for moving logs I skipped my normal pre-saw site visit.
 Upon arrival I was pleased to find everything in order with logs debarked, sorted, and stored based on size and length. Plenty of room for sawmill setup and maneuvering logs into place, plenty of helpers, and some really first rate support equipment. 

Below is a picture of the log storage yard with one of the two Kabota Skid loaders retrieving a log.

Trimming off one end of the log and ready to deliver it to the sawmills loader arms.

Those of you that read this topic know many of my clients have me saw live edge slabs. It was exciting and a pleasure to finally do a framing lumber job again. Below are some 2"x6"s x16' coming off of the saw and being stacked on the hay trailer to the right.
The little black box fan on the white bucket was placed there by the client to help keep me cool while sawing. It was a hot muggy morning and that fan was greatly appreciated!

2"x12"s x12' long ready to be stacked and stickered.

The job from arrival to completion was 6 3/4 hours, used roughly 7.5 gallons of fuel in the mill, and we used 3 new TimberKing Ultra blades during sawing. The logs cut quite easily compared to most other woods I typically saw and having them completely debarked made a big difference in how long my blades lasted. 
Hopefully I impressed the client enough to saw for him again in the future. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

That job is what dreams are made of.  8)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Nicely balanced rings in your lumber, Sir. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Quote from: Bindian on June 26, 2021, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on June 26, 2021, 08:56:41 PM
while other women get hair, nails and massage, you get a hole in your retina, food poisoning and a root canal.  :) you rock. best regards, Doc!  
Doc,
 What can I say....................I am getting bored.  Wait, when did I get a root canal?

hugs, Brandi
must of been in the past, (reply 1002 for me).  I orient my posts in reverse and I am usually off by 1 when referring to posts.  anyhoo glad you are on the mend.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cutterboy

About 10 days ago a customer dropped off seven hemlock logs. Last week I sawed them.

As you can see there was no shortage of knots. I've only sawed hemlock once and that was several years ago so it was a treat to saw something different. I was concerned about the knots but as it turned out they were not a problem. For some reason I thought hemlock would make bland looking lumber like white pine but that is not the case. Hemlock lumber has more character and color. I like the way it looks and I enjoyed myself with this job.

Happy sawing.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

Took a break from framing lumber and pine boards. 
I sawed some soft maple with Ambrosia. 
Its was 100° today as well.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Luke and I returned to a repeat customer today sawing framing lumber for his new home which will be built at this location..

Plenty of level open space and good logs which we are bucking and skidding with the customer's tractor.  The shed in the background is filled with previously sawn & stickered lumber.  He still does not have enough logs to complete his cut list so either he will work this weekend or we will return later.  Don't know yet??  Oh he has plenty of logs, but they are vertical.....not horizontal.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Just piddlin' (No comments needed from the peanut gallery) today and cut up some real small spruce tops to make a few more 7' & 8' 2X4s for my toilet and small shed orders. I think I cut up 8 small tops for a whopping 15 2X4s. Actually the last 2 were 2X6's.

You can see the tiny tops (7-8 inch diameter) at the loading arms. My new ATV is in the foreground and lower right. I am supposed to pick up my old one tomorrow. There are 2 -14' butt lots by the 4 wheeler and I still have 23' left off the one in front of the mill. 

Today's cut. I'll have to do a quick inventory to see how much more framing I need then I'll cut most of the larger logs into 7/8" X 6" or 8" sheeting. I suspect one more log might be all the framing I need. A lot of it is cut into 3' to 4' pieces. I like using the spruce because it is light weight and making the buildings allows me to sell the wood which is a slow mover for me.

If all goes as planned I will load up tomorrow for a 130+ mile trip up and back Wednesday to saw 12 logs. That promises to be a long day and my longest trip to date.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

More rain today so Luke and I had another partial day sawing.  :-X

There are more 2X10X14' behind this so a bit over 2Mbf.  We found one lightening struck tree today that was rotten when we started bucking so the customer will have to fall some more trees to make his cut list. 

TimW

I got back in the saddle today.  Well, I finished the 250 hour maintenance that I started 3 weeks ago.  I will drain and change the hyd. fluid tomorrow, as I got the drain plug out.  You can read about that can of worms here...........https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=41710.msg1831958#msg1831958
Post #31.
hugs,  Brandi

cutterboy

Yesterday morning I went back to that split oak tree to try to salvage two good logs from it. First I cleared a path in for the tractor.

then I cleared a space beyond the tree for the tractor to maneuver to pick up the logs.

Then I cut two 8' logs off the butt end of the tree. When I cut through the top of the 2nd log the crack sprang open wider.

I loaded the logs one at a time and transported them back to the barn yard.

When these two logs are loaded on the mill I'll have to look them over carefully to figure the best way to saw them for the least amount of waste. As for the rest of that split stem, I have not decided whether to chunk it up for firewood or cut 8' half logs and see what lumber can be got from them.
It's too hot today. I'll go back up there after it cools down.

Happy logging.....Cutter

DanG! This is supposed to be in the Forestry and Logging section.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Iwawoodwork

I have not sawn split halves  other than a few over thick slabs that I took a couple cuts of of. Those split halves might be like quarter sawing if stood up.   I am sure that there are sawyers on here who have split large logs and sawn that can respond about the experience.

Magicman

As I suspected after sawing 4 logs this morning, the remainder of this customer's logs were rotten.  He will be falling and skidding this weekend and I plan to return Tuesday.

My power feed quit working this morning, but what could be wrong?  smiley_headscratch

Yup, setscrew backed out and the square key fell out.  Luke found it will the stick/magnet and all is well.

Next we stopped by a repeat customer that called last week saying that he has more logs to be sawn.

Did he say more logs??  :o  That bottom center log is over 4'.  Yikes!!

Did he say more logs??  :o 

These were hiding to the left of the above picture.  Yikes!!  Now to be truthful, that center whack is pulp and not for sawing.  This will be a 40-50 log job to be sawn into framing lumber.  Looks like probably 15Mbf.  ::)

Log Dawg

Big White Oak, first log I hav

e not been able to lift. So we gave it a little help. 

2006 LT40HDD51 Cat Diesel, Board Return, Auto Clutch, De-Barker & Accuset, ShopBot CNC, 1953 Ford Jubilee, IDry

Magicman

Luke and I did "uncover" a bit of fast excitement today.
IMG 0289 - YouTube
A Water Snake between the logs.  :o   It goes from left to right between "there it comes" and "there it goes".  ;D

HemlockKing

How big do those water snakes get there? 
Sounds like you got the help of your grandson for the summer again, that's awesome, time well spent. 
A1

Magicman

They will easily get 3'+ but this one probably was not much over 18".  It was far from water but there were rats under the logs.

Thank You Sponsors!