iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdman_22

I cut some maple cookies the other day. I was excited for about 10 seconds and then highly disappointed. When fresh cut they we very pretty, but within seconds they started to turn slightly green and then within 4 minutes they were almost black in areas. I sanded one a little yesterday just to try to figure out what was going on. My thought was that some mineral in the ground had been being sucked up by the tree and then once cut it was exposed to air and quickly began to oxidize. Any thoughts on what caused this? And anything I can do or should I just let them dry as is? Would anchorseal cause any damage to them ya think? I normally anchorseal my cookies.

Below is a picture within seconds of cutting.

This picture is after several minutes of being exposed to the air.

This picture was taken the day I cut the cookies, about an hour after I finished. (I got 12 of these total).

This is pre-sanding a day or two after cutting.

And this is after sanding.

Some dark blue staining, almost like metal stains, but no evidence of metal anywhere in this tree. So again, maybe "mineral metal" in the soil?

More of the staining, these seem to be where the majority of the big green/black stains originated.

WV Sawmiller

Wow! A couple more jobs like this and I can go ahead and retire too. A guy drove about 90 miles each way to bring two 42" cherry logs. Half an hour on the mill, 6" X1" wide boards with  the side flitches edged from 6-12 inches wide. I forgot to take pictures of the logs, just the finished lumber. About 70 bf or so I estimate.

As far as I know this was my first Irish customer. Real nice guy and he seemed to really enjoy watching and photographing the process. I showed him around and he bought a bench and 3 birdhouses so turned out to be more profitable than I expected. We talked a bit and I showed him a snatch block and showed him how to use one with a cable or rope to move logs in the woods with an ATV or to load them on his trailer. He talked like his next stop would be at a Rural King to buy one. I am sure he will be back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Poquo

Burdman , Those cookies will be beautiful and unique when finished . The greenish staining is from Ambrosia beetles , the blue stain looks like metal is somewhere in the log . Did you run a metal detector over it?
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

burdman_22

@Poquo I dont have a metal detector. I cut 12 cookies from this stump though and didnt hit any metal at all, so maybe I just got lucky? How should I dry these? Do you think its ok to rough sand them then just anchorseal and sticker them?

firefighter ontheside

Several years ago I talked to the owner of a tree/landscape company near my firehouse.  I happened to be by his lot and mentioned to him that I'm always looking for logs to saw.  He said he would let me know when he had something I might want.  Of course I never heard from him til a few days ago.  One of my trucks was over on his street for a call and he flagged them down and asked about the guy that wanted logs.  I got the message and went over to see him.  He had 2 walnut logs for me.  Looks like they've been there a while.  I guess he saved them for me and then never was able to get ahold of me.  One log looks really nice.  The other is smaller and more limby, but I will take any walnut for free.  Plus they will load on my trailer with a skid steer.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

Been sawing cedar for the past week and caught my help laying down on the job.....again!  I pay way above minimum bones.  You would think he would at least act busy. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

Magicman - was that a Moccasin or just a plain old "water snake"? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

olcowhand

Quote from: Larry on July 02, 2021, 10:18:39 PM
Been sawing cedar for the past week and caught my help laying down on the job.....again!  I pay way above minimum bones.  You would think he would at least act busy. :)

Larry,
"Let a sleeping Dog...."; He looks dog tired!
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

Larry - have you seen how much money these "Influences" make for just having their photo taken with a product?  He might be onto something for you.   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: Southside on July 02, 2021, 10:24:05 PM
Magicman - was that a Moccasin or just a plain old "water snake"?
Just a water snake that didn't want to leave the logs.  We also flushed out a few mice which was probably why it was there.
The customer is falling trees and skidding logs today and we will start back Tuesday.  He called me earlier to verify the log lengths.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

More spalted maple.
Its selling as fast as its sawn.
I have a bunch more logs.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

I turned around from the blade sharpener the other night and nearly bumped into a rat snake aka chicken snake crawling on one of my sawhorses. I let it be. The lights attract insects, which attract frogs from the pond just outside the barn. Copperheads, Cottonmouths and ratsnakes are everywhere here. And frogs. Lots of frogs. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

terrifictimbersllc

Now that's wavy lumber for sure!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KenMac

How long is he? Looks like 5' maybe? Very pretty but still kinda creeps me out.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WDH

He is all wrinkled up because you aggravated him.  They also put off a foul odor when hassled. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Resonator

Lifted up a piece of tin in my yard today and a 3' garter snake came side winding out.  :o
I think I prefer logging in winter, then I only has to watch out for the snow snakes. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Darrel

There's no snake like a snow snake!

smiley_biggrin01
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

Well I had a great visit by another FF member today. WV Woodbuthcher brought me these 3 WO logs to cut in 3.5" squares and 1.5" X 3.5" framing with a few 1X6 boards on the side. They will be use as bases for deer stands/blinds. That's a great option to cut as you just cut a 3.5" cant then flip and square it and anything that won't square becomes a 1.5" board. we easily and quickly filled his cut list with plenty of extra. Not huge logs. These 3 10' logs returned 321 bf of lumber in 1.5 hours on the mill. Its great to have a customer who knows what he wants and enjoys watching the process and is a good mill hand to boot. I got side tracked by another customer coming up and did not get a finished lumber picture.

I had met the WV Woodbutcher at our flea market a couple of years ago but this is the first time I have been able to saw for him and show off the mill but I hope it won't be the last.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, while I was packing up and covering the mill for the night the neighbors came down to check me out.

This young doe came down about 40 yards away from me and equal distance to a slab pile I was burning. Neither seemed to bother her in the least and she just fed and meandered on her merry way. I am sure she has a fawn or two close by.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

@Deese What you call a rat snake is not the same thing as they are here. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I don't recall him calling you a rat snake, but hey, if the shoe fits, wear it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on July 03, 2021, 05:53:47 PM
He is all wrinkled up because you aggravated him.  They also put off a foul odor when hassled.
WDH, 
I put out a foul odor when I'm surprised by one! 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Patrick NC

Cut 415bf of cedar this afternoon. Made a bunch of 4x4s from some small stuff that I had piled up. 

I can do about 8 per hour sawing 6" logs into 4x4s. At $21 each that's well worth the effort. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Deese

@Southside most folks around here call them chicken snakes. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

TimW

Quote from: Deese on July 04, 2021, 07:36:28 PM
@Southside most folks around here call them chicken snakes.
Chicken snake here too.  But sometimes, when I catch them in the pen with the ducklings, they are Duck Snakes. think_not fudd-smiley
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

samandothers

Quote from: DPatton on July 04, 2021, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: WDH on July 03, 2021, 05:53:47 PM
WDH,
I put out a foul odor when I'm surprised by one!
That's funny!  

Thank You Sponsors!