iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I'm building 3 sheds (one is actually a composting toilet) and I needed some more materials so I sawed a 23' top into 2-6' & 1-10' log today to get mostly framing and a few 3" wide battens.

The small 6' log on the loading arms and the 16' log by the saw are what I sawed. They were too small to make good boards so I just made 2X4s out of them.

About 113 bf total. Nothing great but enough to finish the framing of my sheds. Tomorrow I'll cut a couple of the larger logs for boards and battens.

The nosy neighbor is back. She let me walk about 10 yards from her before she moved. She is about 25 yards away in this picture. This morning I got up to go to the flea market and she was in the pasture about 60 yards away. When she saw me she looked at the woods then trotted over there and I saw her and her spotted fawn walk out. We figure we've got at least 3-4  fawns in the pasture right now.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Machinebuilder

This is the last log I sawed, it just barely fit on the mill, and really kicked my butt.

I had a lot of trouble rolling it after the first 2 cuts, I didn't get it quite square. I ended up chain slinging its and carefully lowering it to the bed.

I did get a pretty good pile of boards, mostly 5/4.

I think doing more will wait till it cools down, its too much work running it at 85+ degrees

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

WV Sawmiller

I finished framing the last 2 walls on a composting toilet and built and hung the door then cut  these 4 spruce 7' logs for B&B. Mostly I was cutting 8" and a few 6" boards and I'd get a few 3" wide battens off each log.

I see I need to cut another tree to get a handful of boards and to get enough battens to finish the 3 sheds I'm working on. 

About 320 bf when I finished. The tall stacks have 12 boards each. I think there are 22 1/2" battens in the one stack. I had moved a few 6" battens over to the sheds where I will nail them up tomorrow.

Framed sheds (2 are 4'X4' and one is 4'X8') in the background with some boards leaning on them. I'll pretty much finish the siding tomorrow.

My DOE inspector did not show up this afternoon. She was around earlier and may have checked things out while I was sawing and I did not see her. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Deese

23' long beams coming off the mill as we speak. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Beam order filled, leftover 1x's edged, lengths broken down, stickered, banded, barrel fans running. Next is 200 syp 1x4x16 and 5  4x12x16 to be picked up tomorrow morning. A thunderstorm just passed through dropping the temp down to 71°. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

burdman_22

@WV Sawmiller I hope you don't mind me pointing out that your cant hook is a bit crooked...

TimW

Quote from: burdman_22 on July 06, 2021, 11:24:14 PM
@WV Sawmiller I hope you don't mind me pointing out that your cant hook is a bit crooked...
That's not crooked...............it's West Virginia straight! :D
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

GAB

Quote from: Bindian on July 07, 2021, 02:49:30 AM
Quote from: burdman_22 on July 06, 2021, 11:24:14 PM
@WV Sawmiller I hope you don't mind me pointing out that your cant hook is a bit crooked...
That's not crooked...............it's West Virginia straight! :D
hugs,  Brandi
Touche
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jim_Rogers

It's bend because it's the wrong color, suppose to be blue. Must be a knock off. :D

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Slabbing some white oak. Going slow because I'm filming. T7's doing a great job. Nice and smooth.

24" white oak slabbing. - YouTube
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Luke and are still sawing framing lumber for a new home.  Here he is stacking 14' 2X10's and I saw him carrying two at the time yesterday.  :o
https://youtu.be/svm2gUHUAy4
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I used to could do that  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I've determined that the reason I can no longer carry 16' 8x8s now,  is because I used to carry them back then. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nebraska

Sins of our youth..... ;)

Resonator

"Got used too much when it was new." (Old saying). ;)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

of course the guys that did not work that hard, never could carry that much.  i have done it in moderation, and always surprise my fellow docs who come for a sawmill visit.  It is half strength, and half technique and some would argue 100% stupid, but that is more than 100% so does not count.   :)  gotta learn to get in the middle and with things like plywood, even judge the orientation to the wind.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Well, I tried posting this reply 2 times last night when I returned from my longest distanced sawing job to date but I was so tired and sleepy and distraught over Brandi's cruel jibes about my beloved customized cant hook that I could not think straight and sent the responses into cyber space. >:( I will try again.

BTW to Jim - heavy duty LogRites are yellow, not blue. You need to order you a couple to confirm this.

Burdman - my custom cant hook story has been posted several times. Buy yourself one and send it to me and the next time I cut a 1600+ bf poplar I'll fix you one. The curve in in the direction of use and makes for fast and steady hook-up.

I drove 138 miles up to Huntington to saw these "12" logs for a repeat customer who has a cabin near here. I told him I was going to send him back to remedial math classes. We sawed all but the 7 small WO logs in the front. The last thing sawed was the small but pretty walnut next to the wall.  

A front view of the trailer with most of the 1255 bf of lumber we sawed. The owners of the property are in the background. The husband is blowing the sawdust off my mill for my trip home and his wife is in the blue dress. They were very gracious hosts and super nice people. The customer is a neighbor and co-worker who lives just up the road from where the logs were located. Apparently they came from an ice storm in February.  

They were right in the back yard. Hottest day of the year and no shade and the tarps were a pain as a trip and slip hazard. Mostly oak, a little poplar, one  smiley_devil that sneaked in there. We thought it was poplar till I made the first cut and we got that distinct hickory smell. They confirmed when they tried to lift the 5X5 inch post. A combination of 20"+ LE 8/4 slabs, 2X4s, 2X8s and lots of 3/4" boards for siding and shingles.  

Some craft pieces off one fork of on a WO. Had to trim down to level the log and get small enough to cut through and through into LE slabs.

It was a very long day. I left at 4:00 am and was reminded of OTR trucker woes as I saw all the spots in the rest areas were full and they were parked on the exit and entrance ramps. Not legal and they don't want to stay there but in the wee hours of the morning when you are completely exhausted and maybe out of hours to run and there is nothing else open at the truck stops or rest areas it is all you can do.

I met the customer just before 7:00 am after a 138 mile trip and we were set up and sawing by 7:30. They fed me lunch (Not the gourmet delights MM seems to get but nice and filling), water and such. We had to stop twice due to severe thunderstorms that passed through. I finished and left just after 8:00 pm (He may bring me the remaining small logs later on his next trip to his cabin on the Greenbrier River about 12 miles from my home). I got home after a trip to BK at the Teay's Valley exit after I called home and my wife told me to feed myself as she had had a hard day(??).

Since the MM has apparently completed Luke's off-bearer training we could sure have used him. I think MM needs to send him out this way. I have a 15 y/o gd up the road (Practically an old maid in WV) and maybe we can make a beneficial merger of sorts. :D

Now I just need to clean up the mill, put way my blades and tools and get back to building sheds and toilets.
Howard Green

HemlockKing

Quote from: doc henderson on July 08, 2021, 10:54:05 AM
of course the guys that did not work that hard, never could carry that much.  i have done it in moderation, and always surprise my fellow docs who come for a sawmill visit.  It is half strength, and half technique and some would argue 100% stupid, but that is more than 100% so does not count.   :)  gotta learn to get in the middle and with things like plywood, even judge the orientation to the wind.
There’s definitely a lot of technique in there, leverage, using mobility/momentum etc. A lot of people just use there backs for picking stuff up. I couldn’t do that if I wanted to because my back is messed and that’s exactly how it happened(picking up heavy stuff only with lower back), now I’m forced to kneel down and use my legs, no pain but also you’re substantially stronger this way, because you’re doing a compound lift using all sorts of muscles, opposed just just lower back. 
A1

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 08, 2021, 10:54:50 AM
  Well, I tried posting this reply 2 times last night when I returned from my longest distanced sawing job to date but I was so tired and sleepy and distraught over Brandi's cruel jibes about my beloved customized cant hook that I could not think straight and sent the responses into cyber space. >:( I will try again.
Yep, blame the blond!  Violin_smiley
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

I heard a carload of women were traveling along a country road and spotted a blonde lady out in the middle of a plowed field rowing a boat. They stopped and the driver, another blonde, said "That's disgusting and just gives all of us blondes a bad name. I've got a good mind to swim out there a give her a piece of my mind!"
Howard Green

Magicman

Luke and I finished our job this afternoon, and I even remembered to take a few pictures.

16' 1X12's with the framing lumber in the background.

Mostly 16' 2X10's.  Previously sawn framing lumber in the far background on the right and also under the red roof.

Another view.  2X4's & 2X10's.

120, 14' 2X10's in the foreground.  Total yield was 6208 bf.  I could saw two different jobs tomorrow, but I made an executive decision and will be off.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 08, 2021, 02:55:37 PM
Brandi,

I heard a carload of women were traveling along a country road and spotted a blonde lady out in the middle of a plowed field rowing a boat. They stopped and the driver, another blonde, said "That's disgusting and just gives all of us blondes a bad name. I've got a good mind to swim out there a give her a piece of my mind!"
Howard,
          Don't give up your day job.
                    hugs,  Brandi

KWood255

2x8x12 poplar planks for a local customers float trailer 

Sixacresand

We finished a hot, miserable job yesterday where the logs were where they landed when the trees were cut down. The July heat kicked in at 10 AM.  No equipment on site other than a chain and cant hook.  Had to move the mill several times to accommodate logs.  A lot of unexpected extra work and gator aid, but we lived and the wallet is happy.    
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

doc henderson

Happy birthday!  @Bindian Best regards and maybe a hug.  Doc.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!