iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 09, 2021, 04:09:40 PM
Happy birthday!  @Bindian Best regards and maybe a hug.  Doc.
Doc,
      You're a hoot and a half.  Thanks and hugs are acceptable and/or accepted.

Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

KenMac

Quote from: Sixacresand on July 09, 2021, 11:46:37 AM
We finished a hot, miserable job yesterday where the logs were where they landed when the trees were cut down. The July heat kicked in at 10 AM.  No equipment on site other than a chain and cant hook.  Had to move the mill several times to accommodate logs.  A lot of unexpected extra work and gator aid, but we lived and the wallet is happy.    
Don't think I could do that any more. But as they say "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger". Congrats on surviving the day.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

I'm trying to finish my shed/composting toilet project and needed a few 1/2" X 3" battens and few more 8" boards. I've been cutting my spruce boards 7/8" thick just because it is so simple to do the math on my simple set. I went up to cut one more tree and almost immediately got caught in a fawn stampede. One ran up to within 10' of me while I was on the 4 wheeler. I cut the tree and came back to the 4 wheeler and it came back again with 20'. I had left my camera in the barn below. One feature I noticed is it had what looks like a solid white long a foot long on its neck. I called my wife to see if she wanted to take pictures of them so she came out about the time I finished limbing and bucking the tree into 4- 14' logs. The smallest diameter at the top was down to about 8" since I was cutting battens. 

Becky finally came out and got on the 4 wheeler with me and I took her up the hill with her screaming like a banshee every time I'd roll over a rock or limb or the hill would slope 2 degrees. Her balance was never great but she has gotten worse. Sure enough at the top trail the fawn and doe popped up. They had never been 100 yards from me the whole time. Becky got a picture or two and they went back the way we had come and she decided to walk rather than ride. I found the fawn bedded down 20 yards from the stump of the tree I had cut. I saw the doe again on the access road on the way back to the house. She cut across the yard, jumped down into the creek and circled in my lot in front of the house.

I had washed the mill, moved it back into the pasture and set it up for sawing. I had noticed the power feed hesitated in reverse the last time I used it and when I set it up so I pulled the cover to the belt and found it was a little loose so I tightened it and it seemed to work fine after that on the 4 small 7' logs I cut.

2-14' spruce logs 

2 more, one already cut in half and the top is on the mill arms. 

I sawed about 155 bf of battens and boards and have plenty to finish my shed projects. All the framing is done, sides are on 2 just waiting for the roofs and I may finish all 3 tomorrow if weather and my body holds out. I do still need to finish the toilet seat/box. I'll cut the other 2 - 14' logs in half and should have enough to nearly complete another shed. I'll have to recalculate before sawing.

The stack on the right were previously cut the rest are from today.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Nice wack MM, Next time have your boy carry the lumber with the 1.1/2 face pointing to the sky. So the load is close to the body not hanging out away from him. 
It will be easier on him when carrying green lumber far away from the mill. Nice job you two did.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutterboy

Magic, nice job centering the pith on those beams (6x6s ?)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2021, 09:23:45 PM
Luke and I finished our job this afternoon, and I even remembered to take a few pictures.

16' 1X12's with the framing lumber in the background.

Mostly 16' 2X10's.  Previously sawn framing lumber in the far background on the right and also under the red roof.

Another view.  2X4's & 2X10's.

120, 14' 2X10's in the foreground.  Total yield was 6208 bf.  I could saw two different jobs tomorrow, but I made an executive decision and will be off.  ;D
Lynn,
     Please put me on Luke's tail gunner loan out list.  I could use a good tail gunner!
            hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 09, 2021, 10:09:20 PM
 I'm trying to finish my shed/composting toilet project and needed a few 1/2" X 3" battens and few more 8" boards. I've been cutting my spruce boards 7/8" thick just because it is so simple to do the math on my simple set. I went up to cut one more tree and almost immediately got caught in a fawn stampede. One ran up to within 10' of me while I was on the 4 wheeler. I cut the tree and came back to the 4 wheeler and it came back again with 20'. I had left my camera in the barn below. One feature I noticed is it had what looks like a solid white long a foot long on its neck. I called my wife to see if she wanted to take pictures of them so she came out about the time I finished limbing and bucking the tree into 4- 14' logs. The smallest diameter at the top was down to about 8" since I was cutting battens.

Becky finally came out and got on the 4 wheeler with me and I took her up the hill with her screaming like a banshee every time I'd roll over a rock or limb or the hill would slope 2 degrees. Her balance was never great but she has gotten worse. Sure enough at the top trail the fawn and doe popped up. They had never been 100 yards from me the whole time. Becky got a picture or two and they went back the way we had come and she decided to walk rather than ride. I found the fawn bedded down 20 yards from the stump of the tree I had cut. I saw the doe again on the access road on the way back to the house. She cut across the yard, jumped down into the creek and circled in my lot in front of the house.

I had washed the mill, moved it back into the pasture and set it up for sawing. I had noticed the power feed hesitated in reverse the last time I used it and when I set it up so I pulled the cover to the belt and found it was a little loose so I tightened it and it seemed to work fine after that on the 4 small 7' logs I cut.

2-14' spruce logs  

2 more, one already cut in half and the top is on the mill arms.

I sawed about 155 bf of battens and boards and have plenty to finish my shed projects. All the framing is done, sides are on 2 just waiting for the roofs and I may finish all 3 tomorrow if weather and my body holds out. I do still need to finish the toilet seat/box. I'll cut the other 2 - 14' logs in half and should have enough to nearly complete another shed. I'll have to recalculate before sawing.

The stack on the right were previously cut the rest are from today.
Howard,
       You sure are cutting a lot of poop building boards! pc_smiley
                 hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Actually one is a 4X8 shed, another is a 4X4 shed and the 3rd one is the 4X4 composting toilet. At this rate I will soon run out overaged Christmas trees to cut up for my spruce lumber.

BTW - I have first put in first dibs on Luke! I have even proposed a more permanent arrangement/merger. Now I just have to get the MM and my gd to agree. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Y'all leave Luke alone.  Da last thang I need is fer him to git messed up with wimmen!! 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

I am quite certain Luke doesn't need any help from us. He has probably come up with his own ideas already. Ya can't keep'em down on the farm forever MM. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Once Luke tasted Josie's cooking I think all your fears will be alleviated and he will be headed back to PawPaws for some red beans and rice, fried catfish, hush puppies, grits and a big old bowl of Blue Bunny Butter Pecan ice cream. ::)
Howard Green

handhewn

A friend of mine here is from a family of woodworkers. I've convinced him to make a wooden rocking horse like he and his Mom built in my shop many years ago. When he said he was looking for a project I remembered this horse and still had a picture. The picture does not do it justice! The rockers are 8'6" long and the horse is 5'6" tall. 35 years ago I believe they were getting $10k for the black walnut horses. I'm not sure what the current price is.

Patrick NC

I had a customer that was supposed to bring some white oak logs to saw into trailer decking, but he couldn't make it.  So instead I cit some cedar 4x4s and a couple of slabs. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
Y'all leave Luke alone.  Da last thang I need is fer him to git messed up with wimmen!!
Now that's funny.  I don't care who you are.  Cooking will bring them in or chase them away for sure.
       hugs,  Brandi

Southside

Why do I keep thinking someone is going to end up with a goat out of this deal?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I told Josie about my plan and she seemed a little annoyed at me till I showed her Luke's photos on the site and the last I saw she had logged in to Amazon and ordered a cookbook and was looking though her US Geography book to find Mississippi. (I guess they missed that chapter because of the Pandemic last year.) There may be hope for my plans after all.
Howard Green

TimW

I got back sawing a couple of hours this afternoon.  After a 50 hour inspection that had the mill in the barn 3 weeks, some welding on shrouds and replacing a drive belt along with laser eye surgery and food poisoning, I was ready to SAW!!!
I cut up a 12 foot 26 inch SYP into 1x6s for my friends storage building floor.

I also added a new secret weapon while sawing.  An Airborne Sawdust Remover!!!  It worked GREAT.

hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Remember, this is a family site so don't be showing pictures of you sawing in a dress with that airplane blowing in the background. That would definitely blow your skirt up! :D
Howard Green

hacknchop

Nice looking material Brandi very well sawn ,nice square edges no wane I 
don't get to see that around here unless I cut it myself, local mills leave a lot of wane.
Often wrong never indoubt

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 11, 2021, 10:02:18 PM
Brandi,

Remember, this is a family site so don't be showing pictures of you sawing in a dress with that airplane blowing in the background. That would definitely blow your skirt up! :D
Now, what possessed you to say that?  Maybe you should stick to thinking about poop houses

Years ago, after the divorce, I would go out dancing every other Sat. night.  Every now and then, I would wear a leather vest and leather mini skirt.  When I got home, I would take off my go-go boots and slip on my rubber boots and head out to the barn to check my convalescing dog.  No body ever got a photo of that, as I always came home alone.  That is the closest a "dress" ever got to my barn or equipment.   A friend once suggested I dress up in my formals and get on my tractor for photos, but we never did it.

hugs,  Brandi

cutterboy

Brandi, good job sawing...nice looking boards.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Brandi,

That is also a blow-on-the-backside-air-conditioner. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Let me see - Blonde + Blower = Marilyn Monroe moment

Now let me go check on Jeff's pole dancing. This is getting to be a real happening site. :D
Howard Green

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 12, 2021, 12:45:15 PM
 Let me see - Blonde + Blower = Marilyn Monroe moment

Now let me go check on Jeff's pole dancing. This is getting to be a real happening site. :D
Pole dancing = wrong direction.  But I have danced on speakers before.  I have even went to a Halloween party dressed as Marilyn Monroe.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: hacknchop on July 11, 2021, 10:55:20 PM
Nice looking material Brandi very well sawn ,nice square edges no wane I
don't get to see that around here unless I cut it myself, local mills leave a lot of wane.
Thanks.  It's all in the packaging and presentation.
              hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!