iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: cutterboy on July 12, 2021, 07:09:53 AM
Brandi, good job sawing...nice looking boards.
Thanks.  Looks nice until you start stacking them and see the waves at the knots.
 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Willski55811

Made a small dent in a customers pile this weekend and still lots to go! So far it was just 16' full dimension 2x6s, about 270 in total over the weekend. I know the piles are too wide, I told the customer that but he said he was probably going to move it anyway.... 

All the logs to the left of the ash in the middle are 16 feet and 8 footers on the right, all white pine.

WV Sawmiller

Good looking lumber and stacks. I always ask the customer how long his forks are and try to make stacks to match. I don't like to ever stack over 4' wide if I can help it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Good lookin' whack o logs. The customer's going to have a nice stack of lumber when you finish sawing all those. Is this lumber for a specific project?
HM126

cutterboy

That should keep you busy for a while. Do you only saw on the weekends? Those stacks of lumber do look nice but as you mentioned they are a bit wide.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Willski55811

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 12, 2021, 09:09:31 PM
  Good looking lumber and stacks. I always ask the customer how long his forks are and try to make stacks to match. I don't like to ever stack over 4' wide if I can help it.

Yeah thats why I cut all the stickers to 4' or so but that didnt stop him.

I do only saw on the weekends right now as I'm just starting out and still have a full time job so this will definitely keep me busy for a while. I know a lot of the wood is for a large pole barn or 3 sided shelter, this customer has a lot of equipment and toys. The 8 footers are going to be 1x something for his cabin.

WDH

When I first started, I figured that a 5' stack was more efficient because I could stack more bf given the stack height that I could physically handle.  After I ruined a whole stack of valuable maple to gray stain due to poor air exchange between the too-wide layers, I amended the error of my ways.  

I learned something else:

Quote from: Willski55811 on July 12, 2021, 05:44:46 PM
I know the piles are too wide, I told the customer that

but he said he was probably going to move it anyway....
The road to Hades is paved with good intentions :D.  Many times my good intention were never realized. Better to never screw up something in the first place than to try to fix it later :).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

Was supposed to saw ponderosa today but can't because of the Bootleg fire.  If only winter would come back!  We are safe, but so many of our friends and neighbors are not.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

Wish you all the best, I hope they can get it mopped up.

We've been working on more framing for the farmhouse job. We still needed a healthy whack of 2x12x20'ers and a bunch of studs and other framing. It took the dozer to get them down the hill which ended up really dirty bellies by the time I had gone up and over small whoop de doos dragging 20'ers on the way. So we got a pressure washer, i had an old shallow well pump and generator. We load up 2 drums of water in the morning and wash a few then chain up each log and thread 20' of log between the 18' uprights on the Lucas mill. With the Lull I can approach at an angle then play with the boom and tilt and well, I'm getting faster  :D. It feels like swinging a wrecking ball in a china shop.

We did get the mill tucked in under some trees at least, by afternoon its in pretty good shade.

YellowHammer

Here is some curly cherry of ours.  

It was funny. The customer who bought it had other customers offering him money as he was loading it in his vehicle.  He didn't sell it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

That is stunning curl. I can see why the guy wouldn't sell it. 

Awesome. 
HM126

Jeff

Woe boy...   smiley_bouncing_pinky
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

KenMac

Best curl I've ever seen by a long shot. Is that from Tennessee or local?
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

YellowHammer

I'm on only 3 miles south of the Alabama/Tennessee border, and it is a local log, from a local logger, not too far away, but I'm not sure what direction.

I tried to capture it in the photo, but the curl was highly reflective and glowed in the sunlight at different angles.  It was an eye catcher for sure.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Larry

I sawed a couple of cherry logs like that, date on the picture says 2007.  Couldn't bring myself to sell any of it!!!!  Still have a few boards and it ain't for sale!

I could be a wood hoarder. :D :D :D  You wanta sell your boards? :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

This was definitely chatoyant, but more so than a general description of reflectivity or glimmer.  This was me playing with a new (at least to me, anyway) modified sawing pattern and achieving a more dramatic reflective look as a byproduct.  

This was basically a quartersawn board, but was done using a modified vertical grain sawing technique with which I've been experimenting.  It's primary purpose is to achieve very flat boards when dried, while not reducing sawing yield or speed using conventional quartersawing or rift sawing techniques.  As a side benefit, it also generates a more dramatic linearly contrasting appearance, and even reduces the apparent size of knots in a board by reducing their aspect ratio.  These boards are not true quartersawn, but that's understandable, because I'm not truly quartersawing.  However, it is generating  a more highly reflective surface off the medullary rays.  Basically a modified quartersawn curly cherry board with sparkle.

I did maybe 4MBF using this technique in cherry, and this is the first batch out of the kiln.  I'm still playing with it, but so far the method had achieved spectacular results and very flat boards.  It has a distinctly different look than flatsawn boards, and people's opinions of the final results may vary.  

Remember this batch, below?  Same technique which again results in a very dramatic pattern, much different than if the boards had been conventionally flatsawn.  These boards came out of the kiln several weeks ago, and they were the flattest poplar boards I'd ever produced.  Amazingly flat.  We sold the entire pallet, except a few boards, in one weekend.  

By the way, there are some new types of finishes in the market that preserve the colors of these types of wood, and is seeing more widespread use.  It's not polyurethane.......

This guitar body was also made with wood sawn using this technique.  Notice the dramatic vertical grain striping and the reflective medullary rays which don't come out real well in the photo. Oh well.  Anyway, I'm trying to optimize this technique for relatively low value wood species that are notoriously prone to not dry flat, or aren't worth the time and effort of true quarter sawing.  We will see how it turns out, I'm still experimenting.

YellowHammerisms:

doc henderson

any further explanation with pics?  or is this for the next group meeting at customsawyers. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

Phenomenal cherry, Robert.  I've appreciated quartersawn cherry for a long time but that is special.

We were supposed to saw several monkey puzzle logs that a customer dropped off a few days ago and a pile of eucalyptus but...when I texted the customer last night to get an idea of what he wanted cut out of the monkey puzzle he started trying to sell me the logs.  I offered less than what he wanted.  He may get an opportunity to come load them back on his truck.  The eucalyptus was coming from a tree guy to be halved with another customer but they won't be delivered until Monday.

We have a good sized water oak that we will quartersaw today and we will likely work our way through some other logs that have been hanging out here for too long (mostly live oak - I guess we wanted them to harden up so they would be challenging).
Caveman

KenMac

Quote from: caveman on July 17, 2021, 07:16:58 AM
Phenomenal cherry, Robert.  I've appreciated quartersawn cherry for a long time but that is special.

We were supposed to saw several monkey puzzle logs that a customer dropped off a few days ago and a pile of eucalyptus but...when I texted the customer last night to get an idea of what he wanted cut out of the monkey puzzle he started trying to sell me the logs.  I offered less than what he wanted.  He may get an opportunity to come load them back on his truck.  The eucalyptus was coming from a tree guy to be halved with another customer but they won't be delivered until Monday.

We have a good sized water oak that we will quartersaw today and we will likely work our way through some other logs that have been hanging out here for too long (mostly live oak - I guess we wanted them to harden up so they would be challenging).
I have recently sawn a few small live oak logs from a storm at Orange Beach, Alabama and can honestly say that it is the hardest wood I've sawn yet. The sawdust is more like saw powder, but cuts flat and actually is less aggravating than pine.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

KenMac, my experience has been that some saws pretty well and other will have you question your mill, your blades and your ability as a sawyer.

We did not get to any of our live oak today.  I guess it will petrify some more.  We did decide to slab all of the water oak that we sawed today instead of quartersawing it.  That was likely a good choice due to the growth rate and the pith in this particular log.

Our blade had a tooth that got knocked out of set but it was sawing flat so we kept using it.  We got 12, 2.5" slabs out of this log and we also sawed a couple of others. 

I put the picture of the beetles making more wood borers for those who appreciate that type of thing.

Caveman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!