iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern Red Oak?

Started by D6c, September 28, 2021, 12:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

A customer brought a large red oak and a couple of nice walnut logs for me to saw.
From the pics is it possible to tell if this is northern red oak, pin oak..... or something else?
It's about 26" on the small end x 10' long.  I'm waiting on him to decide how he wants it cut.
They were yard trees he got from someone for free.  Found one shingle nail with the metal detector so far.

Old Greenhorn

Hard to tell, wait for a smart guy to respond to this, but the end grain shots look a little funky for red oak but I can't say why. What would help is taking some trim cuts on those logs ends so you (and we) can see what you've got better. The bark looks like red, but a little lighter than we see around here. That top log is either full of mud, or is it just a different tree? Also scarlet and northern red oak have very similar bark I can never keep them straight. Might be chestnut oak too, just to make it more confusing. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

D6c

I trimmed a little on the big end and can see open pores so it's some kind of red oak.  Some mud on the bark from sitting for about a year.

alan gage

Not a lot of red oak around here and I'm no pro but to me it doesn't look like northern red oak by the bark. I always thought northern red oak bark looked like bur oak bark where someone flattened the ridge tops with a trowel. They're still broad and deep but the have a mesas on top of the bark rather than ridges.....if that makes any sense.

I've sawn a couple red oak logs that I was told (but can't confirm) were pin and black oak and this looks closer to them with much shallower and narrow bark furrows.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

My bet would be on pin oak, since it was a yard tree.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

IndiLina

Relative smoothness / shallow furrows of the bark sure looks like my Pin Oaks 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!