iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power units???

Started by NC Logger, May 09, 2021, 11:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC Logger

Looking for advice on which power unit would better serve my needs? I'm looking to replace a 6 cylinder gas engine with either a 4-53 detroit or a 4-71, I prefer detroit simply because I have alot of experience with them. The unit will be pulling a 00 frick mill, just wondering if the 53 would do the job or should I just buy the 71 for the extra power?

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

moodnacreek

4-53's are loud and fast. Getting the mandrel speed down will require a small driver on the power unit and a larger than normal on the mill. A 3 or 4 71 would be much nicer as it will not have to scream or need a 36" shive on the mill.

longtime lurker

Quote from: moodnacreek on May 10, 2021, 07:54:24 AM
4-53's are loud and fast. Getting the mandrel speed down will require a small driver on the power unit and a larger than normal on the mill. A 3 or 4 71 would be much nicer as it will not have to scream or need a 36" shive on the mill.
^^^ what he said.
4-71's have a better selection of injectors available for industrial applications too. You'll be able to dial it right into the sweet spot between RPMs, torque and horsepower so it's loaded up at rim speed on your saw. N65's are just a default setting.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

NC Logger

Good to know, 4-71 are fairly common around here.

Osterman.r

Lurker, what do you mean when you say "n65's are just a default setting"? I'm interested in using a 471 to run my lane mill.

moodnacreek

The Lurker is talking about doing it right, that is fine tuning the fuel for the speed the engine has to pull the load at.  But don't let this stop you, the 4-71 is a good sawmill power unit.

grabber green

If you like detroits just get yourself a 6-71 for a power unit and don't look back. If 3 phase is available forget diesel and go electric.

moodnacreek

Quote from: grabber green on September 21, 2021, 01:26:31 PM
If you like detroits just get yourself a 6-71 for a power unit and don't look back. If 3 phase is available forget diesel and go electric.
Yes, that's right but alot of guys for alot of years do fine with the 4 and after all you have to pay for the fuel.

Osterman.r

Thank you mood, going to look at and most likely purchase a 4-71 next week. The cat d4400 is under powered to start with and really tired. From what I've seen and read, the 4-71 is reliable and plenty of power.

grabber green

4-71s work for sure ,I sawed with one for quiet a while and still have two of them for spares. A lot of other ways to power a mill work just fine to. But I sure like the extra power of my 6-71 that is hooked to my 0 frick . Didn't really notice that big of difference in fuel consumption. 

jpassardi

My excavator has a 471 and it runs flawless, starts very easy, oil stays very clean, no smoke.

Downside: Loud and not bashful on fuel. This and emissions are what killed the 2 stroke diesel.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

moodnacreek

The complaint on the old 2 stroke [ jimmy's, Detroit's, screaming green's or Yamaha's ] is that rebuilds don't last and that seems very true. Probably not an issue unless you run full time production. They sure start good.

grabber green

Never heard that detroit rebuilds don't last. I've built a bunch of them over the years and never had a problem. Maybe those guys don't understand that just because they leak and burn oil it doesn't (most of the time) mean theres a problem . :)  If  you like clean ,quiet and pretty engines ,stay away from older detroits . If you like simple ,tough  ,loud and easy to work on ,53 and 71 series detroits are great.

Osterman.r

Success in picking up the Detroit last night. It has two stuck injectors, should have them freed up this afternoon.

Osterman.r

It's a runner. Had two stuck injectors and a mud wasp nest in the blower. 

handhewn

I've got the 6-71 in my circle mill. I could not be happier with this engine.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Osterman.r on September 25, 2021, 07:16:50 AM
Success in picking up the Detroit last night. It has two stuck injectors, should have them freed up this afternoon.

That should have an honest 100+ h.p.  Good for you.

Thank You Sponsors!