The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Mice....  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Mice....
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
problem with the sticky traps is the snakes and toads get stuck in them also. Once something is in them good they never come back out.

I have also found that bass love mice :)

Offline charles mann

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:54 AM »
Had some kind of rodent get under the hood of my tractor and chew the wiring at the connector for the #2 injector. I took the tractor in for low power, injector cut out test said #1 injector. I gave the go ahead for $1600 repair bill for 1 injector. While under the hood, they found the #2 injector harness damage. Clowns at kibota called and said $1300 for an entirely new engine harness. I told them to use some of their gray matter, think outside the box and fix it. Called me the next day and said they didnt know how fix w/o replacing the harness. I broke it down big bird cookie monster style for them with a near step by step direction on how to fix it and save a 10 yr and 3 tractor customer some $$$. They did it, but boy between the rats and the service dept, it was pain. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »
got one.  he is in the fire barrel with some soft maple scraps.  hate to put them in the trash, as it will stink before they pu on Friday.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
I just finished resetting the traps, what a pain. The landlady is on a tear about mice, suggested I am not doing my part to control them ::) and gave me an electric trap. It uses 4 AAA batteries and two plates, the mouse crawls in steps on the plates to get the pb and ZAP! Haven't got one yet so don't know if it works. Once the weather cools I imagine we will get invaded.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
These work pretty good and are easy to set: Mouse trap. Usually available wherever you buy your mouse traps

HM126

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
I have a couple similar to those, definitely easier on the fingers than those DanG Victors and are effective.

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2021, 08:04:17 PM »
I'm hung up on using bacon for bait.  I hate rodents as much as the next guy but giving up my bacon would take some very serious rodent issue.
You guys are so so lucky you don't get pack rats (bushy tail wood rat).  About the size of a heavy red squirrel but stinks like a skunk.  Builds a giant volcano shaped nest and stores 'hay' for the winter.  Likes to eat pickup and car engine wiring.  I use victor # 1 leg hold traps meant for catching coyotes, baited with peanuts.  If you get one in an out building you can smell it the moment you open the door.  

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
I'm not sure using bacon for bait will work out here on the left coast, our mice are vegan.
Maybe a triple caramel latte with some free range carrot cake...

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »
I'm not sure using bacon for bait will work out here on the left coast, our mice are vegan.
Maybe a triple caramel latte with some free range carrot cake...
Just use fish cab then, some
Vegans will eat fish but not red meat or poultry lol 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
@DMcCoy the mouse is usually dead before it has a chance to eat the bait...just sayin.  so you should be able to recover the bacon.   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »
problem with the sticky traps is the snakes and toads get stuck in them also. Once something is in them good they never come back out.
I have also found that bass love mice :)
   I knew bass would eat mice, squirrels, birds, baby alligators, snakes and anything else they can swallow but I never tried one for bait.

As to the sticky traps we used them in Bagram in Afghanistan and had one out in a hootch and a mouse got in it and was squeaking and squealing and a 4' cobra tried to eat him and got caught on the sticky pad and was flopping around everywhere. It was one more mess!

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2021, 07:44:09 PM »
I bet it was quite a mess trying to clean up a Cobra and a mouse full of bullet holes!!

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2021, 09:58:41 PM »
We have pack rats here in Kansas.  A year ago I opened the hood on my old F-250, and it was full to the top with leaves and sticks.  Thanks pack rats.  That was when I started filling the pipes with rat bait twice a week. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2021, 01:48:17 PM »
I had skipped over this thread and not read it, I wish I had. My mill has been sitting for a couple weeks, had to rip a couple boards today. Turned the key and started up. Guess what happened? ???
Looked like the first pic. of this thread, even a little worse. YUCK!!! :o
Cleaned it all out and runs good. But it had started to chew the foam sleeve on the air filter, so I will be replacing that. And my cats will be getting a lecture. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
Our cat would watch a mouse run by then when it disappeared behind the chair GAME ON! The DanG dog ignores them even when one got into her food.

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
When cleaning out mouse nests, guys, keep in mind that they and their waste and the dust from it is a source of hantavirus and other nasty diseases. I just read in a trapper publication about a guy who got very sick after breathing stuff from a mouse nest which was in a box of spare bolts in his garage. They oftentimes stuff nest material inside the heat shield of mower engines. Doesn't do much for keeping motors from getting hot.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2021, 05:05:16 PM »
I've got to do an update to my post about "fresh Cab" a couple of pages back. It seems I failed to add a new one for a few months, I found a partially chewed roll of paper towels in the cab.  then put a "fresh cab" in the tractor cab, tore off all chewed paper towels, threw them in the trash in the shop and left the rest of the roll in the cab. about 2 weeks later I found no new mouse chew marks, thus it I think worked.
I'll need to pay closer attention to it in the future. I'll also need to order more soon, I only have 2 left.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
Because I had mice in the tractor cab, I'll add a new packet in about 2 weeks, and again in another 30 days. After that I'll go back to one new every 2 months, I just ordered a dozen more.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2021, 12:25:21 AM »
I have trapped, killed, but not eaten or skinned, three mice so far this season. :)

Offline widetrackman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
When I first got my sawmill I kept it set up at my farm property so that I could 'practice' sawing.  Also during that time I had not learned the value of removing the blade at the end of each sawing day.  :-X

So one morning I went through my normal routine of cranking the engine and tightened the blade.  When I engaged the clutch, bang !!!, blade off and I was immediately met with mangled rat and rat guts everywhere.

I guess some lessons are better learned.  ::)
MM,  being new to saw milling I had not heard about removing the blade at the end of each milling day. 
Therefore what would be the value?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mice Everywhere

Started by Gary_C on The Outdoor Board

13 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 02:49:40 PM
by Nate379
xx
Mice

Started by Autocar on The Outdoor Board

32 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
by petefrom bearswamp