iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mice....

Started by Curlybirtch, August 23, 2021, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

If you ever find where they're entering, place steel wool in the entrance, they won't eat through that.  However, it doesn't kill them. They just move on.  I'm for killing.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

doc henderson

I got a smart mouse in the shop.  I have seen him 3 times in the past 2 days.  I have set a repeating trap and 3 of the old wooden spring traps.  he has eaten the cheese off twice.  I need to switch to peanut butter so he has to work harder.  I got 4 traps for $1.25.  at least some things are still inexpensive.  they had all kids of "better mouse traps" but I went old school.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DMcCoy

Quote from: doc henderson on August 31, 2021, 07:56:10 AM
I got a smart mouse in the shop.  I have seen him 3 times in the past 2 days.  I have set a repeating trap and 3 of the old wooden spring traps.  he has eaten the cheese off twice.  I need to switch to peanut butter so he has to work harder.  I got 4 traps for $1.25.  at least some things are still inexpensive.  they had all kids of "better mouse traps" but I went old school.
I use those better built ones with the wide plastic trigger.  They don't break the skin so no dried blood/skin/hair left overs stuck to the wire-reusable.  You can bait the trigger if you need. 4 for $1.25 is way cheap.  At that price you can toss them out.

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on August 31, 2021, 07:56:10 AM
I have set a repeating trap and 3 of the old wooden spring traps.  he has eaten the cheese off twice.  I need to switch to peanut butter so he has to work harder.
What is a repeating trap?  We found the wooden ones do work better.  Peanut butter was the the ticket.
Need to work on the latch a bit to improve the trigger! Though that can lead to snapped fingers and frustration setting it up.

Magicman

A small Victor trap baited with bacon or peanut/peanut butter will work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I agree, those old school traps work well.  The jumpier the trigger, the better they catch.  I pay an exterminator to take care of or lumber building and he kept putting out the little bags of bait and they weren't working well because I kept seeing mouse droppings on my wood.  Finally, I bought a 6 pack of the traps and set them all the day before his next visit.  The next day, when he showed up, I had 5 mice in 6 traps.  Even he couldn't argue with that, and he changed over to a different bait, and more of it.  I still have traps set in the building, but now I only catch the occasional mouse.  I also have a big black snake that shows up every now and then, and I guess he's doing his job, also.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

the repeater is a metal box with two trap entry door. you set it along a wall, requires no bait  I had one in our garage for years and forgot about it.  it had 3 skeletons in it when I checked it.  I do not have food in my shop generally.  we eat the occasional fast food, and have some pack of spam singles and cashew up on a shelf.  I am sure this mouse is disappointed with where he is.  choices.  the repeater was on the same isle with cleaning supplies at Walmart and was 6 bucks.  the new one has a clear insert in the lid, so you can see if you need to dump it.  it is a live trap unless you forget about it. ::)

[th]Tin Cat Repeating Mouse Trap[/th]
[th][/th]

(1)

For serious mouse problems you can't go wrong with the Tin Cat Repeating Mouse Trap with the Solid Top (Model M312). This paticular model is more discreet than the Tin Cat clear top , so that caught mice cannot be seen until the trap is opened. The Tin Cat Mouse Trap Solid Top is a live-catch trap that is easy to ...
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Use that live trap and see if anyone locally owns a big snake for a pet and sell them the mice for a extra couple bucks 
A1

doc henderson

pineywoods

Best solution I have found is called a sticky trap. 4X6 piece if stiff cardboard coated with some of the stickiest glue you can imagine. No setting, no bait, just place anywhere mice might travel. A dab of peanut butter in the center makes it even more effective. Cheap..pack of 4 traps under 2 bucks.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crusarius

problem with the sticky traps is the snakes and toads get stuck in them also. Once something is in them good they never come back out.

I have also found that bass love mice :)

charles mann

Had some kind of rodent get under the hood of my tractor and chew the wiring at the connector for the #2 injector. I took the tractor in for low power, injector cut out test said #1 injector. I gave the go ahead for $1600 repair bill for 1 injector. While under the hood, they found the #2 injector harness damage. Clowns at kibota called and said $1300 for an entirely new engine harness. I told them to use some of their gray matter, think outside the box and fix it. Called me the next day and said they didnt know how fix w/o replacing the harness. I broke it down big bird cookie monster style for them with a near step by step direction on how to fix it and save a 10 yr and 3 tractor customer some $$$. They did it, but boy between the rats and the service dept, it was pain. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

doc henderson

got one.  he is in the fire barrel with some soft maple scraps.  hate to put them in the trash, as it will stink before they pu on Friday.

sawguy21

I just finished resetting the traps, what a pain. The landlady is on a tear about mice, suggested I am not doing my part to control them ::) and gave me an electric trap. It uses 4 AAA batteries and two plates, the mouse crawls in steps on the plates to get the pb and ZAP! Haven't got one yet so don't know if it works. Once the weather cools I imagine we will get invaded.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

These work pretty good and are easy to set: Mouse trap. Usually available wherever you buy your mouse traps

HM126

sawguy21

I have a couple similar to those, definitely easier on the fingers than those DanG Victors and are effective.

DMcCoy

I'm hung up on using bacon for bait.  I hate rodents as much as the next guy but giving up my bacon would take some very serious rodent issue.
You guys are so so lucky you don't get pack rats (bushy tail wood rat).  About the size of a heavy red squirrel but stinks like a skunk.  Builds a giant volcano shaped nest and stores 'hay' for the winter.  Likes to eat pickup and car engine wiring.  I use victor # 1 leg hold traps meant for catching coyotes, baited with peanuts.  If you get one in an out building you can smell it the moment you open the door.  

DMcCoy

I'm not sure using bacon for bait will work out here on the left coast, our mice are vegan.
Maybe a triple caramel latte with some free range carrot cake...

HemlockKing

Quote from: DMcCoy on August 31, 2021, 08:07:28 PM
I'm not sure using bacon for bait will work out here on the left coast, our mice are vegan.
Maybe a triple caramel latte with some free range carrot cake...
Just use fish cab then, some
Vegans will eat fish but not red meat or poultry lol 
A1

doc henderson

@DMcCoy the mouse is usually dead before it has a chance to eat the bait...just sayin.  so you should be able to recover the bacon.   :)

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Crusarius on August 31, 2021, 10:41:50 AMproblem with the sticky traps is the snakes and toads get stuck in them also. Once something is in them good they never come back out.
I have also found that bass love mice :)
I knew bass would eat mice, squirrels, birds, baby alligators, snakes and anything else they can swallow but I never tried one for bait.

As to the sticky traps we used them in Bagram in Afghanistan and had one out in a hootch and a mouse got in it and was squeaking and squealing and a 4' cobra tried to eat him and got caught on the sticky pad and was flopping around everywhere. It was one more mess!

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I bet it was quite a mess trying to clean up a Cobra and a mouse full of bullet holes!!

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

farmfromkansas

We have pack rats here in Kansas.  A year ago I opened the hood on my old F-250, and it was full to the top with leaves and sticks.  Thanks pack rats.  That was when I started filling the pipes with rat bait twice a week. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Resonator

I had skipped over this thread and not read it, I wish I had. My mill has been sitting for a couple weeks, had to rip a couple boards today. Turned the key and started up. Guess what happened? ???
Looked like the first pic. of this thread, even a little worse. YUCK!!! :o
Cleaned it all out and runs good. But it had started to chew the foam sleeve on the air filter, so I will be replacing that. And my cats will be getting a lecture. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sawguy21

Our cat would watch a mouse run by then when it disappeared behind the chair GAME ON! The DanG dog ignores them even when one got into her food.

Thank You Sponsors!