iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark and a shaper

Started by welderskelter, September 23, 2021, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Just wondering does a small amount of bark hurt a shaper or planer? Just learning.

doc henderson

It is softer than wood but may have more sand and grit incorporated to dull your bits and blades.  I do not mind if it is on the side, but would try to plow though the face.  If it is not going to be on the finished product, then I would take it off first.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

After seeing what it does to sawmill blades I keep it away from my cutters.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

I guess it matters what you mean by a little bark.  I routinely incorporate a little wane into projects.  I often take the coarse bark off.  I have a few project that the full bark was included like our troop gateway sign.  I would also say I might be more selective what machining I am doing.  I would hesitate to change my planner blades and then do some ERC will full thickness bark on the edges.  choices.  I have a sharpener to touch up my planer blades.  I was recently helping out a high school student with materials for a school project and hit a nail, so I had some work to do.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ladylake

Shapers cut up in the wood, a little dirt should just blow out not in though the cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Larry

A draw knife is a wonderful tool.  Takes maybe 15 seconds to remove a barky edge.  Sometimes I will remove bark as the planer is pulling the board through.

Does bark dull HSS tooling, yes.  Does bark dull carbide, probably but hard to tell.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

welderskelter

I am sawing for a hardwood floor so was wondering if I was going to get some of my lumber culled. I will watch it now. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!