iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got bit bad yesterday

Started by DocGP, December 29, 2021, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocGP

This is a PSA (personal stupidity announcement) I really didn't want to make, but it might help someone.  

Was hooking the LT 35 to the trailer hitch when it slid off the ball.  Well, in reflex I reached out to catch it (yeah, right) and that was a mistake.  My left index finger went into the hole for the height adjust pins.   Yup, bolt cutter.   Took off my finger at first joint.  

6 hrs in ER and got bandaged up and told to let it heal by second intention.

Freak deal.  In no way WM fault.  Just a moment of carelessness or freak accident, however you look at it.

Maybe someone can avoid something similar.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

HemlockKing

Sorry to hear about your accident doc. We're they going to try to reattach at all?
A1

DocGP

No, unfortunately just gone.

Going to have to relearn the guitar and the Uke now!!!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
Stihl MS 261 C-M

SawyerTed

So sorry to hear and hope you heal quickly!  Maybe the stringed instruments can be mastered.  Thank you for the warning.  I won't look at those holes the same anymore.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

HemlockKing

Anything can be mastered! I checked out this guys YouTube named “harmless farmer”, guy farms with NO ARMS, he does everything with his feet, I was watching a video of him change out a clutch in a tractor, amazing. He can pretty much do anything a normal person can do with their hands…
A1

mike_belben

Wow man that sucks.. Real sorry to hear that. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Sorry to hear that. I hope you heal as fast and as completely as possible under the circumstances.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Oh jeez!  I'm sorry that happened.  Sometimes fast reflexes are a bad thing.  We do things before we have time to consider the consequences.  I often drop things and try to catch them with my feet.  I have saved many things from breaking that way, but one of these days I will drop something that will hurt my foot badly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Geez man, my stomach did a flip-flop when I read this. SO sorry. That is a freak break. Gonna be a while before you can fret those chords again, but you will get there. Ever hear of Django Reinhart? He did pretty good with a lot less.
 Heal fast!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dan_Shade

Yikes, sorry to hear this. 

Best wishes in healing up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Yes, heal up quick.
Just never know what can go wrong.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Oh man, so very sorry to hear of your accident,
Heal quickly!

D

JoshNZ

Shoot that is bad luck, hardly dumb. sorry to hear it! Best of luck with your healing and adapting

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry to hear, hope it gets better soon.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nebraska

@DocGP   oh crap not your palpating hand is it. I use my right, as I was taught to use the non dominant hand. I'm a southpaw. That just really stinks very sorry to read this hope you heal fast.

Crossroads

Sorry Doc, I hope you heal quickly. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

Sorry to hear this, Doc. Especially as a guitar player.
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Oh man, I too absolutely cringed as you described it. Man, things you never think of.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

caveman

Sorry, Doc.  I hate that you lost your fingertip.  That kind of accident happens so fast.  I've had to look down at my fingers after some injuries to ensure they were still attached.  I hope that you heal well and adapt to your shorter finger.
Caveman

DocGP

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate it!!  

Yep, it was the palpation hand.  Will put a temporary pause on that.  Luckily my wife is covering my surgery for the time (vet also).

Like Calvin said about ole Hobbes one time, "He's got teeth on 5 out of 6 ends!!"  

A sawmill is similar!!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Nebraska

Oh that stinks. Heal fast and Have a Happy New Year!

Percy

Man that is awful! Hope you heal well and quick. 
Quote from: barbender on December 29, 2021, 11:10:49 PM
Sorry to hear this, Doc. Especially as a guitar player.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

samandothers

OUCH!  A cringe worthy story.  Hope your recovery is fast.

trimguy

I cringed too, hope you heal fast.

Magicman

Oh Wow, I hated to read about this.  I have heard folks say that what hurts the worst is what ain't there anymore. 

You do know that you will not be able to point as far with that finger now.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!