iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pallet system for timber storage

Started by teakwood, December 23, 2021, 07:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

Quote from: PoginyHill on December 28, 2021, 09:24:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with 3-point hitch pallet forks? Are they useful? Cumbersome? Certainly not as good as a forklift, but maybe better than a FEL for lifting heavier loads?
We've got rear forks here, they're actually an old forklift mast that someone adapted to 3ph. I much prefer the forks on the fel, one for the reach two for the fact you're looking forward and not back. 
With that said they are insanely handy in certain applications and would not want to part with them. 
Like btulloh said you won't regret having them. 

beenthere

Quote from: PoginyHill on December 28, 2021, 09:24:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with 3-point hitch pallet forks? Are they useful? Cumbersome? Certainly not as good as a forklift, but maybe better than a FEL for lifting heavier loads?
Wouldn't be without them.. when the plow is on in place of the FEL, then the forks move firewood on pallets all winter long. 
But only real good with the hyd. top arm, as btulloh  said. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

teakwood

I came up with this, 3x3, and the first stickers are screwed on

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

this is the pallet with boards on it, the 3x3 on the ground will later be removed when i buy a forklift, i also plan on pouring a concrete floor. 
I decided to still use just 3 stickers for the 8' board, i never had any problems this way

WDH

You are lucky that you can use only 3 stickers on 8 foot lumber.  I use 7  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

Quote from: Don P on December 27, 2021, 06:54:56 AM
This is a good reference for air drying;
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf
Chapter 5 fig 39 shows a simple sticker guide.

If you move the end stickers out to almost the very ends of the boards it will reduce end splits, and yes I would have 2 more stickers in that stick for anything but low grade. We'll do something like that if in a hurry to get some air between the boards but that would be restickered very soon. I've got some wood coming off the mill at 18' right now that is only getting 5 sticks and piled loosely, half those sticks will probably end up in the driveway as I take the trailer down the mountain. I'll sort it all out in the next day or two when I set up the drying piles.

moodnacreek

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 31, 2021, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: Don P on December 27, 2021, 06:54:56 AM
This is a good reference for air drying;
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf
Chapter 5 fig 39 shows a simple sticker guide.

If you move the end stickers out to almost the very ends of the boards it will reduce end splits, and yes I would have 2 more stickers in that stick for anything but low grade. We'll do something like that if in a hurry to get some air between the boards but that would be restickered very soon. I've got some wood coming off the mill at 18' right now that is only getting 5 sticks and piled loosely, half those sticks will probably end up in the driveway as I take the trailer down the mountain. I'll sort it all out in the next day or two when I set up the drying piles.
Moving the end sticks out is what I do. Don must of copied me :D. It makes a big difference with cupping and end splits.

teakwood

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 31, 2021, 07:03:12 PMIt makes a big difference with cupping and end splits

i don't have cup because my widest boards are 6", i don't have endcracks unless the heart is in a board

farmfromkansas

Teak, that is some amazing straight lumber.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

longtime lurker

Quote from: teakwood on January 01, 2022, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: moodnacreek on December 31, 2021, 07:03:12 PMIt makes a big difference with cupping and end splits

i don't have cup because my widest boards are 6", i don't have endcracks unless the heart is in a board
Yup, the teak I've sawn has been full of silica and some logs have high tension, but once you've got it in a pack it behaves itself due to low shrinkage rates.
 Problem around here is nearly all the older plantation teak was planted for tax offsets and never had any silvicultural management... no stem length in them. Some guys I know just pushed out 1200 acres of 20-25 year old teak. It had been managed quite well but needed another 10 years to girth out to be viable. What a waste.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!