iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Dallas is wanting to put this up right away, but it is wet.  He asked me today if I thought it was ok, and I told him we can try it, but it would be better to sticker it for a while.  any thoughts?  I have known people to put stock up wet, but usually open on both sides.  this has a vapor barrier behind it.  He both wants reassurance and wants to put it up today.  He is a smart and reasonable guy.  is this a disaster waiting to happen?  it is in an addition to his shop and can be a little rustic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

lots of character.  

seashell

bear paw track.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Quote from: doc henderson on January 09, 2022, 09:58:01 AM
Dallas is wanting to put this up right away, but it is wet.  He asked me today if I thought it was ok, and I told him we can try it, but it would be better to sticker it for a whil.  any thought?  I have known people to put stock up wet, but usually open on both sides.  this has a vapor barrier behind it.  He both wants reassurance and wants to put it up today.  He is a smart and reasonable guy.  is this a disaster waiting to happen?  it is in an addition to his shop and can be a little rustic.
Thought here would be "he won't like the results". Sticker it with fan moving air through it.  Can't have it both ways. 
Does he have the shop heated now?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

not the area this wood is going.

firefighter ontheside

Putting the wide boards up wet is going to cause something to give eventually.  Either the boards are going to split or the screws or nails are going to pull out or break.  He might be able to make it work if he puts up the boards but doesn't fasten other than close to the middle and use battens to secure the outer edges trying to make sure the fasteners holding the battens go in between boards.  I put kiln dried 1x12 pine on my garage years ago with no battens.  It still shrunk and left almost 1/2" gaps.  I later cut 1x2 pieces out of 2x10s and put them up as battens.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

newoodguy78

I've put stuff up right off the mill before, none of it fell off the wall but cracks and movement/shrinkage definitely took place. I made it a point to fasten really well knowing it wanted to move.
Before I put it up I explained it to the customer that it was inevitable.
 Put felt paper on the wall first so an gaps that end up happening become shadow areas that are simply black. Much better than looking through and seeing the writing on the insulation in my opinion. 
In the end the customer was happy and gave them the rustic look they were after. 

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on January 08, 2022, 07:47:30 PM
I have certainly been found guilty of sawing with my "No" button blinking many times.  :-X
I had that light blinking two weeks ago.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on January 08, 2022, 05:17:34 PM
Obviously your "No" button is busted.  ::)  :D
I saw by the hour with the attitude that it's your money if that is the way you want to spend it, I'll accept it.
Last month I sawed a few chunks that definitely would not meet Mr. Milton's definition of a log.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

richhiway

Started cutting some pine to mill. Probably slab this double butt log and see what I get. A lot of my pine is past it's prime and has red rot part way up. A number of them blew over in the last ten years. They are so heavy the roots can not support them.One of the reasons I got into milling is to see they are not wasted. It was cold but a beautiful day yesterday. Today was freezing rain and sleet. Tuesday a high of 9 and 0 overnight.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

We were sawing before 7:00 this morning and watched the Sunrise.  My customer watches as the tailgunners debark.

1887 bf of mostly 1X12 X 16' with a few 1X6's & 1X10's.  We finished and I was headed home by 3:00.

My customer opened his can of Vienna Sausage and was one wiener short.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fluidpowerpro

Did ya call him one wiener short of a full can?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

WV Sawmiller

At least they did look to be water packed and not those nasty gelatin packed type. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

Most likely poured it out before he took the pic.
I like to bring those along with a few hard boiled eggs and cheese and crackers to munch on while ice fishing. Unfortunately when I add a few IPA's to the mix, I get a little "windy".
Not good in an enclosed fish house.
Change is hard....

doc henderson

those and the spam singles are great.  but the price goes up and down on amazon.  24 in a pack.  beats going hungry.

fluidpowerpro

Cant forget about potted meat. UUU Huu (Slingblade)
Change is hard....

Magicman

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on January 12, 2022, 08:10:01 PMMost likely poured it out before he took the pic.
Edited:  As pointed out, I see now that the reference was to the water, not the wiener. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

I think he was referring to the liquid, not the missing link.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

The middle one slipped out when he poured the water out.  If he would have drank the water first, it would still be in there  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Nope. OEM all the way. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Beavertooth

Just part of what I sawed last week for a cabin floor and trailer boards.  8x8 for seals 2x11x8 for joist and 1x8 for subfloor. Forgot to take pictures of the rest that was at a different site. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Beavertooth

All that lumber was 10ft long not 8ft.  Not thinking right. I will blame it on being sick this week. Actually cut the floor joist 10 1/2 inch wide so customer can edge them on a small manual mill a friend of his has after they dry so he will have a good flat floor. And he will still have a probably more than sufficient size floor joist. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

DaleK

Playing around with a 20' elm today, got a couple nice live edge slabs. Had fun getting them off the mill and onto the forks and I have no idea what I'm going to do with them
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Larry

More about what I didn't saw.  This was really an ugly log and thought I would knock off four sides to better see what I was sawing.  Took one slab off and rotated....the turner was flapping around this junk.  It was the last log so I got to quit early.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!