iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I want to know how big that basket of flowers was!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

@Larry   I hope you dig it out tomorrow and saw that log and don't let it beat you!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Brad, this was a custom sawing job and its by the board foot.  While I recover the blade cost for metal strikes I don't feel like I adequately recover the cost of changing the blade, and lost production.

Most of the time, if I hit a nail I'll change the blade, take heavy slab cuts, and continue.  With the log pictured I kicked it off and the customer gets it back.

Be interesting hearing how other sawyers handle metal strikes.

Me HATES nails. :embarassed::embarassed:
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Larry on January 14, 2022, 09:14:44 AM

I charge by the hour for dealing with nails and metal strikes. What I mean is I charge them for the blade. And as I change that blade and dig out the metal so that I can continue to cut up that log, I run a stopwatch and keep track of my time spent doing that, which includes scanning the log with my metal detector looking for other metal.
Once the log is clean of metal, I stop the watch and write down the time.
This is all written in my costs of milling document. And in my "questions" document I ask: "If I hit metal, do you want me to pull it out and continue sawing the log? Or throw it away?" When they say "pull and continue" then the stopwatch is used.
If they say, "throw it away" and I have to take out the chain saw and cut it up to get it off the mill, because there is no heavy equipment there to lift it off, then that time is counted on the stopwatch as extra work.
I pack two stop watches. One for the blade time, and one for the extra work time.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawyerTed

Dealing with metal in logs?  I say it depends. First it depends on the metal. If the metal is fence wire or a common nail, often I will try to work around it or pull it out. If it is a heavier piece of metal or a hardened screw, often it depends on what the log is. 

If the log is a quality walnut or cherry for example,  I'll do all I can to keep sawing.  If it is a pine or other common species, off the mill it goes.  When pine saw timber is around $45 a ton delivered, it is cheaper for a customer to buy a few logs to finish a cut list  

Some logs with metal just don't go on the mill.  My philosophy is metal sticking out of a log is like and iceberg, there's at least 2/3 in the log I can't see.

Foreign object strike costs $25 for blade replacement.

My hourly rate starts once the mill is set up until a break, lunch or mill break down. It doesn't matter if I'm sawing, changing blades, digging out metal or stacking lumber.  That puts the pressure on the customer to be vigilant about staging logs, log quality etc. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

Quote from: Larry on January 14, 2022, 09:14:44 AM

I charge the cost of the blade, based on the last purchase I made, and $10.00 for lost production.
I hate nails but I hate dry wall screws even more.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Well, just a tad off, but the cold weather might be getting to me. Alternating between sweating and freezing every 20 minutes might be addling my brain. Today I took 5 to suck down what water I could from a frozen bottle and noticed this board moving in the breeze. Not that board has been leaning there for a year. All of a sudden it's moving?!
Self supporting Board - YouTube

Anything for a detraction sometimes. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

:o OGH Mother Nature can be fascinating!  That's cool!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 14, 2022, 05:27:17 PM
:o OGH Mother Nature can be fascinating!  That's cool!
Well, I thought to myself "This is stupid, making a video of a stupid board frozen in the ice', but then I thought same as you. 'This is cool. Stupid, but cool'. Besides, I need that water break.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

A bit of childlike (not childish) fascination with things does an old guy (I'm one) some good!  I'm glad you shared it!

Magicman

Thanks OGH.  :)

I charge $45 for any metal strike and if it is an hourly rate job, the clock is also ticking during the blade change out.  I do not send metal strike blades to ReSharp because experience has taught me that most likely that blade may cut but it probably will leave a skip or irregular tooth mark which is not satisfactory with me.  The customer has paid for it so throw it in the junk pile.  Blades are expendable items.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I charge the cost of a band, and the clock never stops ticking.
As for the metal strike bands:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8jSeCzm7I
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

newoodguy78

OG that's a good little video. If you hadn't slowed down you'd never have noticed it. 

caveman

Between selling a little quartersawn oak and pine boards today, John and I sawed a lot of metal and a little cypress.  We extracted quite a few nails but we found the rest with the blades.  We hit metal with at least two and probably three blades, and had one blade break (at least near the beginning of the cut).  We spent at least an hour pulling logs out of the pond trying to fill the 16' order.  Out of 8 logs, we found 3 that would make good 16' boards.  

It pained me to saw 1x6's out of one of the logs we sawed.  I think we got 25 out of it.  None of them had knots and most of the boards were heartwood.  
<br
Wire and nails.>

I bet you can't find the metal.

The 1x6x16's were really nice.  No knots in the whole pile.
We have some pine to saw on Monday but while pulling logs out of the pond today we came across some decent pecky cypress that we will probably saw into 1x sometime soon.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I've been charging $25 for metal strike blades and since I charge by the hour the clock is still ticking while i'm changing blades.  Depending on what I hit I will decide whether it goes in the resharp box.  If it just hits one nail it goes to resharp, something more significant like many nails or heavy steel it goes to scrap.

It snowed about 2" yesterday and will be above freezing this afternoon, so I"m not looking forward to sawing logs for a customer, but he still wanted to come.  I guess we are gonna get wet.  Just have to keep all vehicles on the driveways.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

Back to work for me this week two jobs with probably 9000 board feet between them. Temps are going to be in the low 30s during the day with 25F starts in the morning. Brrrrr  >:(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

firefighter ontheside

My customer is not going to get here until 3pm.  I'm not really happy about it, but I hate to tell him he can't come.  He rents a trailer when he comes, so he would be out the money for his trailer.  He was struggling to get logs onto the trailer and I guess is only bringing 3 logs instead of the 5 he intended to bring.  I guess we will be sawing until sunset.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

E-Tex

Wife and I milled full 1X5s and built our entrance to our property.  

(post got trimmed off later)!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

Our place is blessed with awesome ERCs!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Nice entrance build - and some good looking ERC there too!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Looks great. Boy you are blessed 👍

TimW

Quote from: E-Tex on January 18, 2022, 05:34:51 PM

Y'all are blessed.  I am about 2.5 hours south southwest of Y'all.  Is there anywhere up there I could buy ERC logs?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

E-Tex

Quote from: Bindian on January 19, 2022, 02:01:20 AM
Quote from: E-Tex on January 18, 2022, 05:34:51 PM

Y'all are blessed.  I am about 2.5 hours south southwest of Y'all.  Is there anywhere up there I could buy ERC logs?
hugs,  Brandi
Good question.  I'm not a log buyer, so I don't have a good answer for you.  However, call Custom Cut Lumber in Alto and/or Wilcox Timber & Lumber in Rusk.  I know they buy cedar.  Maybe they can point you in the right direction.
L2 Sawmill LLC

trimguy

I have a friend that had a couple of Hickory blow downs that he let me have. I know, smiley_devil, sometimes I just have to learn the hard way. I know I need to seal the ends, and I need to saw it soon.If I choose to put a couple of these to the side to spalt, should I seal ends on them or not? Some of them are on a smallish side, any idea how long I should let them sit to spalt ?I know it has to do with it temperature, humidity and such. But any ideas?

Thank You Sponsors!