iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joinery Options for Tie Beam

Started by SleepyDog, September 15, 2022, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyDog

In my 8x10 single slope shed I'm building, I have two tie beams. The plans called for them to have a through tenon but I can only make that happen with one as my other piece was a bit rotted. I have one additional piece in this size but it would be 1" shy on each post from making it to the opposite end. 

1. Is there an issue with doing a blind mortise and tenon joint for the second tie beam?

2. Would it be unfavorable to have a non-centered through tenon? 

I've seen an older comment of Jim's where he mentioned the use of a metal strap from the top of the beam, through the post, and screwed into the opposite side of the post, above the mortise.

Thanks in advance!

flyingparks

GRadice

Here is an option for a shorter blind tenon that will provide a little more resistance to tension than the usual peg. Ignore the stub tenons and haunch and focus on the tenon. With a square peg rotated so it is a diamond and a kerf in the end of the tenon, under tension the tenon ends spread more tightly and wedges into its mortise. I suppose this might work with a draw bored round peg as well. It would also work offset laterally if you needed it to.

Gary

Thank You Sponsors!