iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Automation Mikro LT

Started by Woodwalker, February 19, 2024, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

Anybody added one of these setworks Sawmill Automation Mikro LT  to your mill? Pros, cons?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

oldironbob

I just installed the 360 pro on a Timber Harvester mill. Have not used it much. Mostly just a test log. Pretty amazing. 

Magicman

If my old non-supported 1998 SetWorks failed, the Mikro would get some serious consideration.  Less than $2k vs more than $4K for Accuset2.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodwalker

Glad to see you still sawing MM.
I'm seriously considering purchasing one. Talked to a guy not too far from me that put one on an LT15. Says he definitely likes it and would buy again. 
I'm tired of cobbling things together and it works for a while (or not at all) or breaks. I've probable spent enough money on scales, digital tapes, DRO's and the like to have bought a factory built specific setwork.   
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

oldironbob

I missed typed info earlier. I installed the SW-350-PRO

oldgraysawyer

I just ordered the SW-350-PRO  so I'll know a little more about them in the very near future. I did some searching and long procrastination trying to decide on what I was willing to spend but ultimately decided on the 350 pro. If there was more information available I may have ordered a different(cheaper :wink_2:  ) model but I've been resurrecting my mill from the brink of scrap metal status for some time and finally have it to the point of being a worthy investment so I figured why not spend "A Few Dollars More" to speed up my saw time and keep a consistent lumber output. I did see one video on youtube where the guy did detail a lot of the features. I will add a link to his video below. To be honest his video helped push me over the edge on making my decision.

Micron PRO sawmill Setworks make perfect cut every time

DB in WV

oldgraysawyer

I guess it didn't take too long for customs. My SW350 Pro setworks has arrived safe and sound. Unfortunately due to health issues it will be a couple of days before I can begin the install. The package contained several items including a small bracket, nuts and bolts along with some electrical connectors, a sensor and of course a mounted panel onto the front of the weather box.

I will post further updates as I install the setworks to my mill.

DB in WV

Old Timer

HI there...like oldgraysawyer I just completed my SW 350 Pro on my '90 Woodmizer HD40. I made the install a little more complicated 

than need be but I wanted all of the controls in one enclosure and not all over the place like that vintage had. The manual is somewhat

vague and was a struggle until I got a grasp on the software. Once passed that the unit works totally awesome, with the exception that 

the travel speed on the saw up-down is a little too fast to stop it within the 1/32" range that it works within. I'm in the process of 

slowing the thing down or put a little more drag in the slides. Anyway if you need any help...I'm glad to be of assistance as it's fresh

in my mind.
If I had to do it over again

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

oldgraysawyer

I know folks are looking for information on the Mikron Setworks and I know it's been a while and I apologize for going dark but I've had some rough patches. My wife had a nasty tumble and broke her shoulder, tore the rotator and been helping her quite a bit and well as for me my doctor said they would hold off on the chemo for a bit and evaluate my progress on my next follow up visit. I won't shortcut anything here so for those who truly believe I would appreciate your prayers.

"Lord Willing" - my plans are to try to finish my mill this week so I can saw the lumber for my summer projects. My neighbor stopped by yesterday and told me he's clearing some land(approx:10acrs) for his cows and gave me all the trees he is removing. I guess he liked the deal I gave him on the 690. It pays to have good neighbors and be good to them.

Anyway if the weather holds and I can get it done I hope to be using my mill by next weekend. I'm a little anal about some things and even though the Mikron comes in a weatherproof enclosure I'm adding another layer of weatherization to my install since there will be long periods between use and a few of my projects will take some time to complete I wanted to ensure water, insects or other intrusive issues won't destroy my investment.

Here's a new video on the 350Pro like I'm installing.

Micron-lite SW-350 Explanation

I know I get long winded at times but thanks for your prayers and patients.

God Bless everyone! 
DB in WV

Magicman

I would go to an upholstery shop and have them sew me a waterproof cover for the control unit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I took measurements and got a plastic tote the proper size.  it is a stelite 29 gallon from WM.  You will have to get your measurements.  I still get a wasp nest in the spring, but after a few disruptions, they figure out to go elsewhere.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Search online for generator covers which come in many different sizes.  The sun will kill them in about a year, but they are cheap.

oldgraysawyer

I finally got some me time that my doc cleared me to be out in the sun since I'm not on certain meds and no rad or chemo for my growths that were removed and my wife's shoulder is getting some strength and everybody's doc apps are behind me for a bit.

Now that I've gotten past all that. I kicked it around where and how. Just to refresh folks that haven't read all of the posts I have a TimberKing B20. When I got it the hour meter was working and was showing 78 hours but it had been setting out in the weather since 2004 or '05, It was in it's death throws and in need of much repair and over time I've been able to get it to the point where I can saw accurately as I can with a tape measure so thought it was time to take it to the next step and put some setworks on it for more precise and repetitive cuts.

After overthinking it like I do for everything I decided on the Mikron 350 Pro. Mikron sent me the kit tailored to the B20 with and heavy duty amp winch relay but I had already replaced the all of the factory relays on the unit. The B20 also uses safety switches to keep from over torqueing the DC motor when it hits the top or bottom of the carriage. Since I am planning to build a new shed for the mill and it will basically live there except in the rare time I or my son would take it on the road to use but it's basic goal was for the farm and the new barns and sheds I need. Like others the unit is more capable of the functionality that I intend to use since my mill has hydraulics already installed.

First pic is mill's relay control box. Mikron suggests to isolate the systems if you are going to connect the Mikron relays to another system. Since the B20 already has solenoid contacts rated for the DC motor with upper and lower limit switches I added some relays for the Mikron to activate since they only need 250 milliamps to operate and rated heavy enough for the B20 system :

The next ones is where I chose to mount the Mikron 350Pro. I have ordered split loom. Thought I had some but t was not split. Also ordered a small box to put the sensor wire connection into a weather box. The others of the Mikron show the rain/shade cover I made for it. After looking at it and realizing it's in a weather guard enclosure already:

I also did the same for the sensor in the pics for it :

The B20 comes with a switch on the right of the hydraulic controls to manually raise and lower without using the original setworks and I removed it and added a weatherproof box with an up/down buttons and the Mikron Blue button has a "Bump" feature that I wanted at the command station so I added another wire reel in tandem with the reel for the up/down function. The bump feature has 4 different modes and I'll be using the one to raise above the saved cant setting so I can cut several boards before removing them and when I finish a cut I can simply hit the Bump button and it will automatically raise above the top of the cant and I won't have to wonder if I am clear of the stack of boards on the deck.:

I was waiting on a replacement return spring for the sensor. The end would not stay hooked and it appeared to have a bad heat treat. I don't think it was something they could have prevented since I would assume it's an outsourced part but they had no issues sending a replacement. I hope to finish the install tomorrow or Saturday so I can calibrate everything and get to sawing.

I will say overall the install was not complicated and they also included a heavy duty winch relay in the event I wanted to hook it up in that manner but the mill already had the limit switches and relays and I had already replaced them not too long ago so all in all the only issue I may have is the gear reduction box on the B20 may be a little quick for the senor and if it is I can just replace it with something other than the 40:1 gear box that's on it from the factory.

After I get the spring in there and calibrate everything I will give another update.

The previous videos I linked give a decent description on the settings so no need to rehash it but I'm willing to help anyone wanting to upgrade their mill with one of these. I chose this model because it has some features I may want to utilize later in the event I add more functionality later since this unit has more abilities than I'll ever use.

DB in WV

Thank You Sponsors!