iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chase da Lane sawmill

Started by bandmiller2, February 27, 2008, 06:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Is their no end to the madness,bought a lane #1 with a topsaw.I'am going to breed it with the Chase mill ,use what I like best from boath mills.I like the massive cast iron husk,and heavy carrage wheels of the Lane.The Lane may be missing parts of the friction drive,may go hydraulic.Probibly should have gotten into collecting model trains or stamps their alot lighter.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

Yeah, but using a stamp is the surest way of devaluing it. :D

A neighbor of mine has a Chase with a top saw, runs it with a UD-16 IH.
Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Dave, you realize that UD9 genset of yours has been loafing too long on those little bandmills,your going to end up a circle sawyer don't fight it.You know you want to see that log going by like a conrail freight train,and old UD puffing black smoke.Frank C.

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't mind having an old handset mill to work some of these old power units. I am trying to talk a buddy of mine into getting one to exercise his 20HP Famous. I know where there is a UD-9 off of a handset that I want as a spare for the genset, or possibly to run a hydraulic pump to run some assorted equipment around the mill. There is also another mill and bigger IH diesel under a collpsed shed, I am going to look into that in the next couple of weeks. And I know where there is a UD-18 that could be had for a few bucks, that would really make the blade sing. ;) I also have a UD-14A off of a mill. The guy with the Chase also has a UD-14A running a line shaft, which has a four head moulder, a Chase shingle mill, a single side planer, and a gang resaw that makes apple crate slats. Yep, I know where there are a lot of UD's. :D Oh, and my fathers friend has a Chase handset and UD-14A.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Dave what does the "U"stand for in UD?? Frank C.

bandmiller2

Possibly "unsure" .Dave were those engines used on aggie equip. or just industrial?? Frank C.

Dave Shepard

I'll give you a quick run down of IH, Farmall, McCormick-Deering models. A row crop tractor, which can have either a trycycle or wide front end, would be an "M". If it was a standard, or wheatland type tread, it would be a "W-6", in a bulldozer it would be a "T-6", and a power unit would be a "U-6". A diesel variant would have the "D", as in "MD" "WD-6" "TD-6" or "UD-6". Any "6" series engine is the virtually the same throught the line, regardless of what it is used in. I believe some of the earlier power units had PU (Power Unit ? )suffixes, but I'll have to look that up. Here are the different models in the line up:

Four Cylinders:
U-2
U-4
U-6, UD-6
U-9, UD-9
UD-14

Six Cylinders:
UD-16
UD-18
UD-24

There are a few different generations of power units. There are many UD-14As in my area. They have a little more horsepower, possibley due to larger displacement. Do you have any old power units? With all these mills you are bringing home, you will need something. ;D My father was talking about a guy who was running two mills off of one UD-24 (1091 cubic inches   :o ).

Dave

bandmiller2

Thanks Dave I never knew that,so pretty much U means power unit.I have never heard one run ,must have a long stroke and much torque.I'am getting a detroit 6-71,for the mill was planning to use my JD70 diesel but that would tie up the tractor.Haven't decided if I will change the rotation of the 6-71yet,I would have to get a lefthand starter [250$]or change the windings and drive of the one i've got,and change the idler gear in the rear case .Want to put the engine on the back side of the mill,I usally work alone.My first tractor was a IH 300 utility then farmall C after that I got tied up with the green gang and never looked back.

Dave Shepard

That's OK, we won't hold that against you here at the Farmall Accumulators Club. :D

Those Detroits sure can be run anyway but upside down. ;D

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!