iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jack Pine question

Started by 123maxbars, May 07, 2012, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I had a logger call me tonight who has a few truck loads of what he called 'Jack Pine", anyone ever heard of this before?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Jack Pine does not grow in Tennessee.  It is almost certainly Virginia Pine which has the same form and growth habit as Jack Pine, very gnarly and limby with little twisty needles and small golf-ball sized cones.  It does not meet the strength requirements to be sold as SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) lumber cut for framing by the big commercial mills, so there is not much of a market for it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Up here Jack pine goes to the stud mill, or for pulp. If grown in dense stands it can have decent form and make nice lumber, open grown stuff is gnarly.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

I agree with barbender on the jack pine. Plantation jack pine that I see along the highways are junk. Forest grown, thick jack pine from fires are the best for stud wood because they grow straight. But it does look similar to Virginia pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MotorSeven

It's called Jack Pine here too by lot's of folks. Yep, lot's of branches & knots but they do grow big and straight in certain stands. I have some on my place that I am using for barn wood(beams and rafters) and so far it behaves like SYP. Off the ground and covered from rain it should last forever.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

sealark37

It is known by several names in Carolina, but the proper name is Virginia pine.  Most mills will not take it here.  It was once used to make "Knotty pine paneling".  It is OK for non-code farm uses.  Regards, Clark

barbender

Like WDH said, it isn't strong enough to be grouped with SYP, but wood doesn't have to have SYP strength to make construction lumber. Jack pine is grouped in SPF, my house has commercialy produced jack pine studs in it.

lumberjack48

Here in the Chippewa National Forest i've cut many MBF of 24" ,70' to 80' tall Jack Pine for saw logs. There used to be a lot of Dandelion Jack, 40 yrs. ago, they were 80' with no limbs just a little crown on top.

I've all so cut many thousands of cds of plantation Jack, that the C.C. Boys planted. Rajala Timber Co. bought this tree length for pulpwood price, and when they processed it they sawed as many 2/4's they could out of it. The rest went for chips.

1996 Rajala's paid me $10.00 a cd, about $4. a ton, for TL Jack on the landing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

levans

I am using Virginia Pine  2x6 for the roof joist for my mill shed and just used it for the siding on my new pig house. The only thing I've found to be a problem is if you let it dry in the sun it will twist and curl up, you just have to put tin or something on top of it.

WDH

Those pigs have long curly hair  :D.  Nice looking building!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

levans

the sheep were acting as the pigs agents.

bugdust

In these parts we don't have "Virginia" / "Jack" pine. So I'm curious, what is "Loblolly" pine? Or is there a difference?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Banjo picker

A bluegrass song by the name of Henry Walker done by the Del McCoury band has a line in it about an ole Jack Pine....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

barbender

Loblolly is a Southern Yellow Pine.

WDH

Virginia is also a southern yellow pine, along with loblolly, slash, shortleaf, longleaf, pond, pitch, spruce, table mountain, and sand pine. 

Loblolly is the most predominate and is the most important commercial species.  Longleaf is the densest, and spruce pine is the least dense.

The four "commercial" southern pines that make the SYP grade by the Southern Pine Inspection Bureau are loblolly, slash, shortleaf, and longleaf.

shelbycharger400

that tree clearing job i did in feb/march.. 
cutting white and norway pines..no prob
when hackin into a 10 to 15 in dia jack pine.. those things were like cutting oak!
(planted in the 1940's)
boss got $3 a running foot for the jack pine logs
about 2 for everything else

Thank You Sponsors!