iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor around the sawmill advice needed

Started by Clean Image, October 25, 2012, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haywire woodlot

I'd like to have proper grapple for my hitachi, I,ve never seen one on a machine as small as mine, it would sure be handy for forwarding logs, loading trucks etc. What I'd really like to have, would be a processor head, that would be the way to make a pile of fire wood rounds in a hurry!
Dave

Handy Andy

I used to have an industrial Ford, 3550, it had a fel and could lift a lot, the front end was really heavy, but was short wheel base, and the loader way out front, and I had to have something on the 3 point just to be able to use the loader. When it rained, the tractor was hopeless.  Sold it a few years ago and got a Case skidsteer, wondered why I kept that old Ford all those years.  Just a tightwad I guess.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Magicman

Sometimes you just gotta use what you have.

But the front end needs to be beefy enough to handle the weight.  4 wheel drive and PS are really not luxuries. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clean Image

I read through all the comments again and feel good about my decision to remove the FEL...it's just not made for this machine but I can still adapt it to work well for my use at this time. There is a guy in town that rents out his Kubota L3200HST pretty cheap so I still have access if needed when it comes time to landscape.

I'm productive in my profession with the tools I have...this tractor with forks mounted on the 3-pt hitch, will give me all the production I need with the manual mill. My guess is I could spend an hour loading up the log deck and keep busy milling for most of the day afterward...plus I don't want to be working so fast I miss any opportunities to breath in some of that fresh air and sawdust...that's the main reason I'm on this journey!

Means a lot to have access to you guys who do this stuff for a living...thank you! smiley_beertoast 

Thank You Sponsors!