iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help with hydraulics

Started by karl, March 21, 2004, 11:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Been building a homegrown wood processor out of stuff laying around- pretty low tech but it works. So far I have a hinge mounted Husky chainsaw with a stop for cutoff, an old splitter powered by tractor hydraulics, and a roller conveyer for input.Future plan is for seperator and elevator and pto powered 20 gal pump to run it all.Now I want to come up with a way to operate the splitter that once activated will continue the split, then return so all I have to do is bump a lever/switch to start the cycle again. My knee is getting tired of holding valve in the split postion ::) Been looking through Surplus Center catalog- seems like there must be a solenoid system that can do what I want, but I just plain don't know enough about them. Any Hydraulics Guru's among us?
Any good sites I can (attempt to) learn from?
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

jdunmyer

Karl,
 You could use a simple solenoid valve by itself; the only advantage over what you have is it could be operated by a button instead of a lever.

Getting it to cycle automatically would require a pushbutton to intiate the cycle, a relay, a limit switch to reverse it, and (preferably) a pressure switch to reverse the stroke when it hits that "unsplittable" piece.

Not especially complicated, but one hooker is the requirement for the valve and relay to be 12VDC to be able to operate from the tractor battery. (unless you have 120VAC available at your splitting site)

<<Jim>>

Fla._Deadheader

Karl, Does Surplus Center still have the "Fluid Power" book listed in the very front of the catalog???  That should tell you everything you need to know. Then, the guys here can help ya get it perfected ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

wiam

My cousin has a big commercial splitter.  It has two detent valves connected to the cylinder.  The hoses are crossed between them.  You push both levers to start cycle.  When cylinder is completely extended first lever kicks off which reverses flow.  When cylinder is retracted the second lever kicks out.  This works well,  but manufacturer puts a warning on these telling you not to operate this system with someone else around the splitter.

karl

Thanks for the advice all
Wiam- YOU DA MAN! (an' a neighbor too!) that's perfect for my junkyard setup. Simple IS best!(my bride say's that a lot.... :D)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Haytrader

karl,

Is she lookin at you when she says that?

;)
Haytrader

karl

Thank You Sponsors!