iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 22, 2015, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

That is good to hear Jim so you will soon be sawing again.

I got a call from the hydraulic cylinder shop saying that my cylinders are ready, so I will pick them up early Monday morning.  We will have them on and be back to sawing in short order.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I am so busy at the hardware store I won't notice if 20 go by.  :o  We are short on help. We ran the store with 3 people for 3 weeks.  ::)    :o   :o
Just had one quit. We do have 5 there now. Should have 7. We are blowing quota by at least $2000 each day and some days even $3000.  Can you say busy!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Yep.  People stuck at home and not working can think of all sorts of things they want to build.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SawyerTed

I cut rafters, sheathing boards, lean-to shed headers, siding for garden sheds, mantles, lumber for raised beds, and live edge "floating" shelves for "bored" stay at home people.  They take a lot of time because they don't buy rough cut sawmill lumber very often.

One guy started out wanting 4x4s and 2x8s to build a raised bed garden.  He came by the mill and I spent an hour redesigning with him so he could use 5/4 lumber because 2x8 was bigger than he thought!  :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

farmfromkansas

Nebraska, is the old barn in the pic of your mill shed the one you are writing about?  I also have a old barn in bad shape, use it to store lumber, but when it was built, the foundation was poured so cheap, it is broken up and leaning.  They mixed concrete and put in forms with big sand rocks and no rebar, so the things lean where it cracks.  If I were younger, would consider replacing a piece of the foundation at a time, but not up to it any more. Still like to work, just can't handle tough jobs.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

bigblockyeti

I know this is a bit of a necro post but I'm not sawing many logs that I could be at my parents place.  They tired of living in the middle of nowhere and despite constant new projects up into the beginning of 2022 they chose to move from 12 acres of heavy woods to a retirement community where a service takes care of their 1/20th acre lot.  I knew it was coming as they got on a waiting list in the middle of 2021 with an expect wait time of 3-4 years, I guess residents were "vacating" faster than expected.  I got my mill in 5/21 and the long term goal was to leave it at their place and easily cut up 4000-8000 bdft over a couple years.  I was able to get a couple Ø20" black cherry trees felled and hauled off before the house was listed but a dozen or so black walnut, 20 white oak, 6 eastern red cedar, half a forest of hackberry and more red oak and tulip poplar than you can shake a stick at conveyed with the sale.  Grandma not letting me cut 300 cedar from her golf course after she sold it and was allowed to remove any/everything from the property as it was to be turned into scorched earth didn't sit too well either.  She "liked the way they looked" even those well beyond what could be seen so they were deemed off limits.  I should have just cut what she couldn't see and would have never known about but it could have turned into quite a project I couldn't have simply hidden from her.

beenthere

bby
Is that also the land you were thinking about for the cellular trail cam?

Bummer to lose that potential harvest for your milling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigblockyeti

No, that's my property.  Mom & dad lived at their place full time with gates at both drive entrances & their builder was three houses (1/2 mile) down the road so security there was a non-issue.  I'm at my property every 2-3 days to 3-4 weeks depending on how busy I am.

It was a bitter pill to swallow but my only recourse was buying the place from them, likely for a very good deal but wife's job, kids in school and the pain that comes with every move killed that idea before it got off the ground.  I just need to hook up with some tree services around here that can let me know when they've got a good log or two that needs disposal.

WV Sawmiller

In my case today it was 800 total 6' long pressure treated 8" diameter posts like the road department uses to put guardrails up with. They won't fit in his post driver and he needs them trimmed down a little over an inch. It would only take 1-2 passes and I could probably do them 2 at a time. I was all set to do the job then I remembered pressure treated is generally a real no-no and told the guy I was sorry but I was going to pass on this one.

Has anybody ever sawed PT posts with good results?

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I would also pass on sawing pressure treated material.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Soon after I got my sawmill, back in 1994, the local golf course wanted some 6x6 pressure treated cut in half to make two pieces 3x6 for a bridge deck. The needed these pieces to be spaced out so that the sunlight could filter through to the swap area below the bridge.
I called WM and asked what advice could they give me.
They said just use a regular blade, but to wear a dust mask to no inhale any treated sawdust.

I did the job, and I made them haul away the sawdust that I bagged up for them.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

The center of pressure treated lumber has the least amount of "treatment", same as treated utility poles.  Open um up and you can expect the exposed center to rot first.

jpassardi

Probably best you passed on it though I believe they have to use a less harmful preservative in it now. I'd pass rather than risk inhaling the dust.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!