iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back again, this time with Woodmizer LT15 question...

Started by Engineer, August 24, 2015, 08:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Hi y'all, back again.  I was at the Boonville NY Woodsmen Field Days last weekend, checking out mills and meeting up with a few folks from here (sorry if I missed you, I was kind of a hit-n-run around noon). 

So I am certain now that I want to purchase a WM LT15.  Basic model, no frills.  But I am also trying to find a used unit.

Question is, looking at the brand new LT15's, can anyone tell me what has significantly changed - say, in the last ten years - on the LT15 that would make a difference in the "sawing experience"?  For example - blade tensioning, blade guide adjustment in/out, depth or width of cut, how close you can get to the bed with a cut, engine improvements (assume gas engine), control of head through cut (i.e. crank mechanism). 

I am interested in hearing from people who have experience in older LT15's and new or very recent models to give me their opinion on them.

Put another way - if you could get a ten-year old LT15 in average condition with a few hundred hours for $5000, or buy a new one for $7200, which one would you get?  Would the 2015 model be worth the extra $2200?

gfadvm

I bought a 6 year old LT15 2 years ago off CL for $3500 (including 20 bands, 2 Logrite cant hooks, etc). It has a 15 hp Kohler and the old stlye band tensioner. I have sawed a LOT of logs (many in the 18 -24" diameter range) including hickory, ash, walnut, oaks, etc. I could not be happier with my purchase! I use WM Doublehard bands and get them ReSharped.

zopi

My philosophy about buying tools...if you will only use it very occasionally...get whatever fills the hole.

If you are going to wear it like a glove....get the very best you possibly can.

Personally...I would probably buy a new LT15 with a diesel. Although I would be hard pressed to talk myself out of the 25 hp...that little diesel.is more than enough engine to get er done. 
And yeah...I think the updates are worth it. Lt15 is a lot of mill for the dollar. Paid for itself the first big project.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I ran a 2001 LT15 for 12 years.  15 HP Kohler.  Sawed a whack of lumber with it.  Sold it in 2012 and bought a used 2008 LT 15 with the 25 HP Kohler.  The extra HP was a significant.  The biggest difference was in how you lowered the head while cutting.  On the 2001, you just cranked it down using the scale to make the next cut.  Pretty easy to do, and you could lower the head just below the next cut mark, and slightly raise the head to be on the money.

The 2008 had the ratchet wheel that is graduated in 1/16" increments.  That made a huge difference in how long it took to set up for the next cut. Just turn the wheel to the right increment.  Very fast.  I called it my manual setworks.

The big improvement for me, and one that made a significant productivity increase, was the addition of the power feed.  Better than sliced bread.  Wonderful.  I don't think that I would buy a model that would not accept the power feed.  I am not sure which model year could accept the power feed, but the 2001 model could not.  Check that out.  You will love the power feed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MartyParsons

Hello,
Wood Mizer LT15

• First built in 1997
  • Lots of changes through the years. Way to many to list

15 Hp Kohler electric start was nice.  18 Hp Kohler twin is standard and a big improvement.
Gear reduction for the up down system works well.
Sawdust chute mounting available 2007
Lots of clamp designs through the years. If you purchase used you can add the new design to earlier revisions. Cost is $ 99.00 for each clamp.
Power feed available in 2004 E 4.0 revision and newer. 
2004 is also when they changed the up down and the feed system to the new design. The saw head would raise and lower with 1 turn = 2"
There are also trailers available and they have changed over the years also. The newest design seems to work well.

That is the hi lights of revision story.
If you have some direct questions just ask.

Hope this helps.
Marty
[/list]
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WDH

If I remember right, it took at least 4 turns to raise the head 2" on the 2001.  On the 2008, it took 1 turn 8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Good to see you on here once in a while, Engineer!

Don't overlook USED!    ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jemclimber

The only thing I can add is the blade tension on my newer 2011 or 2012 (memory??)  model is a cam which is very quick to engage and disengage.  I think the older models had to be screwed all the way in and out each time.  Maybe Danny/someone can verify that?  I wish my shop bandsaw had it, I may someday get the Carter quick tension system for it.  It is a very nice feature.  The newer clamps are also a nice improvement.  Did I mention I really like my LT15 with power feed and the "manual setworks".
lt15

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Don't you mean 2" per full turn?  Or do you have a different "manual setworks" wheel?

Magicman

Engineer, whatever you find, it is good to see you getting back into sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

Nope..4" per revolution. I like it that way too...4/4 at a quarter turn.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

Engineer
New sponsor "Sawmill Exchange" would be a good place to start looking.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gfadvm

Mine raises 4" per turn. The notches around the outside of my wheel are 1/16" increments. You have to screw then tensioner in every time to tension band. And unscrew to detension.

Verticaltrx

I haven't spent much time around the earlier LT15 mills, but IMO the current ones have significant improvements over previous models. They really took it from a small hobbyist mill in the beginning to something that can crank out production close to the larger manual Woodmizers. In my mind it's basically a stationary LT28 now.

My favorite features of the new mills:

-19hp V-twin comes standard
-excellent raising/lowering mechanism, very fast, extremely accurate, and easy to crank (this alone would sell me on a new one vs the original models)
-easy blade tension
-good clamps
-ability to add power feed
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Piston

Quote from: Engineer on August 24, 2015, 08:42:14 PM
I am interested in hearing from people who have experience in older LT15's and new or very recent models to give me their opinion on them.

Put another way - if you could get a ten-year old LT15 in average condition with a few hundred hours for $5000, or buy a new one for $7200, which one would you get?  Would the 2015 model be worth the extra $2200?

In the example you gave, if the difference between used and new was only 2200 for a 10 year newer mill, I would probably go with the new mil unless you knew all the history on the older one, and even then, I might go with a newer mill.   However, if your able to find a good "deal" on a used mill, and can check it over, do some test sawing, and verify it's condition then I would consider a used mill for hobby use.   Not only can you save a good deal of money, but you can also get things like blades thrown in, and those add up as well. 

As far as if I would buy another LT15 or not, I can't say definitively yes or no.  If I was going to be sawing mostly lumber (as opposed to larger timbers) then I would probably step it up to the LT35 hydraulic, but since that is in a totally different ball game, I'll assume that isn't an option. 

Comparing the LT15 to other mills in the class, and if I were to be continuing to use the mill as I do (hobbyist) then yes, I'd buy the mill again.  However, I would also look closely at the Timberking.  I don't see anything in the LT15 that makes it any "better" really, but that is another subject altogether. 

I have the LT15 diesel, it's a 10hp Yanmar, and if I were to buy again, I would hands down go with the diesel option.  I can mill almost ALL day on one tiny little tank of diesel fuel, and unless I'm cutting 20" wide timbers, it rarely slows down.  I really do think the diesel is my favorite part of the mill. 
One problem that I hope WM has addressed by now, is the ability to turn the engine off.  As of now, I pretty much have two options, hit the decompression valve (which really isn't great for the motor itself) or shut the fuel off, and let it idle a few minutes until it starves itself of fuel and spits and putters until it finally dies.  I don't know how this got overlooked but there is no real shut down for the engine. 

Keep in mind, the older used mills did NOT come with the 3rd bed extension like they do now.  I bought my mill used (but from a friend who left it in my yard since new, so I was really more of the owner from new than he was, and it came with the extra bed extension.  I believe the bed extensions are around $750 so take that into consideration. 

I will be buying another bed extension at some point in the mills life, and possibly buying the shingle and lap siding attachment as well. 

Here is a pic of a few timbers I sawed a couple months ago... (Hat and sun glasses for scale)

Also, I "think" I remember that you had some equipment to help move the logs/timbers?  I just want to note that without a grapple, I would have sold this mill a long time ago.  I think the grapple is what enables me to use this mill to it's full potential. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Engineer

Well, still doing my research.  A little bird mentioned that I should check out E-Z Boardwalk.  I have never seen one in person but to hear the folks who own one talk, they're excellent mills for the money.  Still boils back down to my desire to see a mill in action before I commit to a purchase.  I ruled out a couple of manufacturers already due to what I perceive to be quality issues, and I think I want to avoid the really low end.  I don't mind putting it together myself but I'd rather not. 

Magicman

Resale value is something to be considered even though you are buying and not selling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawdusty1

I ended up with the LT15 and can not complain.  While at the AG EXPO in Moultrie Ga I was really impressed with the Norwood Sawmill.  It's a lot beefier than the Woodmizer and the exhaust chute is on the opposite side of the operator.

Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Thank You Sponsors!