iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air dried lumber

Started by frebeckil, August 08, 2014, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frebeckil

I have various species of hardwood lumber, all stickered and AD.  The cherry is in a building.  How do I market it.  My husband died and left me with this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sounds like you know a little bit about lumber....thats good.
Welcome to the Forum.
I am very sorry about your loss. Your idea of selling lumber may not be a problem but a new door opening to a little enjoyment.
Not knowing where you live, I would suggest maybe trying to sell some of your lumber on Craigs List....if this option is available to you. I sell a lot of lumber using this method. You can also look at the listing in the lumber section of Craigs List and maybe a Market Bulletin if its available in your area. This will give you an idea of the prices to ask.
I have also seen posters hanging in the local feed and seed stores advertising lumber for sale.
A lot more ideas will come from other members too. Again...Welcome!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

BCsaw

Poston had some great suggestions.

Maybe you have a neighbour or someone else who saws in the area that might be able to lend a hand. It is always nice if someone with experience (and you can trust) can look at what you have. The value of lumber can vary with grade, species, etc.

Good luck with your venture.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

First let me say that I am so sorry for your loss.  Lumber marketing is out of my normal business, but there are many here that will have ideas, some of which have already responded.  Adding your location might help.  There may be a member close to you that can/will assist in identifying and inventorying your lumber. 

I wish you the best with this difficult task.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodman58

I am sorry for your loss. Depending on where you live I might be interested in purchasing the cherry and maybe more. I live in Missouri but am willing to travel if it is worth while. PM me and I can give you my number. Thanks
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

yukon cornelius

welcome to the forum, and so sorry for you loss!! these guys here are such a great resource! they can certainly point you in the right direction.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

glassman_48

frebeckil,
A picture might also help these guys in here.  Good luck, and sorry for your loss.

frebeckil

I really appreciate the responses.  It gives me a starting point.  I am in Pa, no where close to any of you!  The problem is....the stacks of lumber are all mixed hardwood species.  My husband knew how to identify the boards so it was not a problem for him.  It is a BIG problem for me trying to sell it.  The cherry is inside so it is safe and dry.  The hickory is in 1 pile so I can identify that....the rest is mixed.  I tried craigs list and only got responses for single to a few boards.  I am thinking the frst thing I need to do is find a building to store it in and get someone to help identify EACH board.  Very time consuming and a lot to ask of anyone.  It is greyed and each board would have to be inspected with a little sanding to identify it.  I also have big 6X6 pine cants...........I wish I could get someone to take the whole lot of it at a bargain and then they could see what they get!!  Thanks again for your help and sentiments.  Keep this situation in mind for your wives!

BCsaw

Just hang tight. I am sure there is someone on here near you. Way too many members on this site.

It is refreshing to hear that you have an idea of species and variety of lumber.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Daver

Also sorry to hear about your husband.. east, mid, west PA?.. I would think if you picked some boards and took pics of them guys on here could help identify them.. I know wood, but maybe not all the wood out there.. I bought wood and actually I bought it from someone on this site.. I asked on the site and someone stepped up and we dealed. Maybe if you advertized on this sight in the "for sale" section it may help..  I would be careful of Craigslist shady people can find victims on that.. But if you should have visitors make sure you have other people around when they come.. Also you never know if they would stake out your property.. Not trying to scare you.. You just never know these days.. I used to use Craigslist many times, but I would not have people come to my home if I could help it.. Hope this helps..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

beenthere

Take pictures, estimate the volume (cubic ft), and try to sell as one lot. Do not worry about the specific id of individual boards or in sorting. Leave that to a buyer to do on their time.
Don't think you will gain much revenue sorting this out.

Another thought, contact a local woodworking group or a vocational school to see if they have interest in taking the 'lot' off your hands.

QuoteKeep this situation in mind for your wives!
I wouldn't want my wife to try to milk this for the money that might be there, but instead just find a good home for the lumber. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daver

Beenthere, I think she meant try to keep your wood piles organized :-)

frebeckil

Daver, I have already sold a lot of equipment, skidders etc so I know enough to be careful...lots of great firends to help me in that department.  I don't like craigslist for that reason.
Also, beenthere, I thought the term was "board feet"?  Finding a buyer is the problem.  No one wants to deal with the work of so many piles and being mixed it makes it risky, I guess.
Thank you all, I will continue with the information I have heard here.  You have all been very helpful.  I do think I have to sell in small quanaties and I am not "milking'" it for the money....I do just want to find a "home" for it!

No Daver, I meant to be sure your wife (or someone) could handle everything in your abscense!  Then again, you probably can't think of everything in an unexpected situation.  Life is unexpected!

Daver

frebeckil, Yes that is what I meant try to make it so if you were gone the one left can cope..  Good to hear you are taking precautions..

drobertson

I am thinking fine a close approximation of total bdft, and try to sell the whole lot, might be less than separating, but then again bird in hand better than two in the bush,  separating and restacking just takes time,  hope all works out for you!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

Find a consignment auction and have somebody haul it there even if it costs a bit.  Make sure you get it there early so potential buyers will have a chance to preview.  A ad on craigslist in the tool section to alert folks.  Make sure you mention cherry.  The buyers will do the grading for you.  At auction every stick of lumber will sell for something and you will be done with it.

I've used consignment auctions myself, mostly to get rid of low grade.  Sometimes I have been very pleasantly surprised and other times not so much.  Luck of the drawer I guess, but I got rid of it.

Wish the best for you in these difficult times.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

QuoteAlso, beenthere, I thought the term was "board feet"?

Right, it is.  ;)
However, so far you don't have that figure for the total.

My thought was to measure the bulk volume so we, along with others who may get in touch with you, have a general idea how much you have. So far, without that or pics, we don't really have a clue so only trying to help with little to go on. ;)  (and "milk it" was a bad term, just thinking more about your work involved in sorting it by species into different stacks, and you not being able to get paid for your efforts).

Any pics?  Any estimate of total bdft?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Seems to me that if you sell the cherry first, that will free up space in the building to sort the remaining lumber.  Hopefully you still have a forklift available for loading?

Re the cherry, do you know how to measure the board footage?  The quick and easy way is to take the width and length of a stack of lumber, determine what the average total amount of gaps are between the boards, and come up with a square footage per layer.  Then determine how many layers are 1" thick, 1-1/4" thick, 1-1/2" thick, etc, and count it all up.

There are a lot of good lumber dealers in PA.  Irion Lumber and Hearne Hardwoods both come to mind.  You might try contacting them, explaining your dilemma and asking them if they would be interested in purchasing.  Both are reputable companies.

If you have any quartersawn oak or sycamore, contact Talarico Hardwoods to see if they are interested in it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Piston

If you'd like, I'd be happy to post some pictures for you on here if you don't want to take the time to do it (sometimes it's not very easy for new members).  Or we could tell you how.  Feel free to PM me if your interested, or I could PM you my email address, if it helps.

Are you by any chance near eastern PA? 

I may be headed to Milford, PA in a couple weeks, and if I end up going, I could be interested.  I'm not sure what I'd use it for yet, but at least I could fill up my garage and have an excuse for my wife to park her car outside  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

kelLOGg

I wish you were near me. I inventoried lumber in 6+ barns for a friend whose father/sawyer died leaving more than 20,000 bd ft. of various species. I did it gratis and would do it again.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kelLOGg on August 10, 2014, 05:37:52 PM
I wish you were near me. I inventoried lumber in 6+ barns for a friend whose father/sawyer died leaving more than 20,000 bd ft. of various species. I did it gratis and would do it again.
Bob

A dream come true!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!