iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Yooper connection

Started by Jeff, June 05, 2007, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This is my first test of what I have put together so we can be up north working on our property for days at a time and still be on the forum and take care of all our internet needs and other web customers.  I have most of the programs I use daily stuffed into this laptop now. I am currently connected to the internet via my cell phone with only two bars of service. Thats about what we get right at the cabin.

I just uploaded the above photo and it took 1001 1002 1003 1004   only about 4 seconds. :)

We added a wireless keyboard and mouse yesterday as you can see in the photo. That makes it much easier to use. I just cant type on that litttle keyboard or work those finger pads.  I just need to download spampal and thunderbird to get my email set up and this baby should be good ta go!  We can even use it in our woods as we get better recepetin there then at the cabin.  :)    Maybe a webcam one day from da wilds of da U.P. eh?  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

It took me 11 seconds from the time I hit the post button until I was able to hit reply for this message. I can live with that in exchange for what were getting. 8)

Tom

Your keyboard is bent!  You must've sat on it.  :D

Texas Ranger

I cannot wait till he gets his first cell phone bill 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I have unlimited long distance within the U.S. but the internet service is separate. We had to buy the wire to connect, and the service is 24.95 a month unlimited connection within the U.S.

Raider Bill

Jeff,

You sent that file that fast with 2 bars on your cell phone?
I'm pretty much without internet access while in Tenn but if I could do something like that at least to check my emails and this forum I would be a happy wannabe hillbilly!

Of course I'd have to buy a laptop, any suggestions?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

TexasTimbers

I loved the wireless keyboard and mouse for a while but with the way I move around it was just easier to get used to the cramped notebook keys.  :-\
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dave Shepard

I'd have to get the extra keyboard, as my XXXL gorilla paws don't fit on laptops.  ;D

Sounds like that setup is still as good as dialup. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I was getting around 4k per second when it was downloading an avg update.

Raider Bill, just for email and internet, you don't need much of a computer. :)

Jeff

That wireless keyboard works well from up to 20 feet away.  I set Jeremy up last night. He stopped by and was using the laptop where you see it set.  I had the keyboard over here. Both will work at the same time. ;D   He didnt know what was going on as I had not told him about the keyboard yet. :D

Raider Bill

I guess it's time to whip out my consumer reports magizine and check them out.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff B on June 05, 2007, 10:41:06 AM
I have unlimited long distance within the U.S. but the internet service is separate. We had to buy the wire to connect, and the service is 24.95 a month unlimited connection within the U.S.

Just make sure you don't get connected to a Canadian tower. I have had that happen fishing the St. Mary's. Your bill can go up fast.

Jeff

I've have friends in Stalwart that have that happen when they are in the Soo shopping. They check their bill every month for that, cause it does happen. Altell removes the charges when that happens.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 05, 2007, 12:04:32 PM
I'd have to get the extra keyboard, as my XXXL gorilla paws don't fit on laptops

that's what ya get for bein a big oaf! :o  I sure am brave on dis keyboard ain't I? :D Oh well I wasn't gonna make this years piggy roast anyhow maybe you will forget by next year. ;D

Dave Shepard

kevjay, you'd have been safe anyway. Can you walk from MA to MI in 60 days? Might have to have a couple extra pairs of those Herman Munsters to do it.  ;D I need to find a New Transmission Lottery ticket somewhere. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 05, 2007, 04:00:09 PM
kevjay, you'd have been safe anyway. Can you walk from MA to MI in 60 days? Might have to have a couple extra pairs of those Herman Munsters to do it.  ;D I need to find a New Transmission Lottery ticket somewhere. ::)

Dave

What kinda tranny ya lookin' fer..... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

Jeff, expand on "had to buy the wire to connect", please.  Sounds close to what I need/want.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

I feel for ya bro. Last week I gave my mechanic $850 to get a tranny (used; 19,000 miles) for my daughter's little Hyundai. You know the ones; those disposable vehicles. I owe him another nearly $400 when he gets it done today or tomorrow.   

I ain't complainin though. Mech says I was lucky she didn't fry the engine too she drove it around in 1st gear for many miles. Needlessly.  ::)

Have you checked with the hotline on this WWW ??? I found a tranny for it a couple hundred cheaper but just didn't wanna mess with changing it out. If I had the time I coulda done it myself and saved prolly $500 or more.

Jeff

Quote from: Texas Ranger on June 05, 2007, 05:50:28 PM
Jeff, expand on "had to buy the wire to connect", please.  Sounds close to what I need/want.

Don, there is a wire that connects your cell phone directly to your computer. WIth a bit of software, your phone becomes your modem.

TexasTimbers

That's too cool using your phone fer a modem.

Next thing you know they'll figure out how to put a camera in a cell phone. :)

Dave Shepard

Burlkraft, it is a NV5600 out of a Dodge/Cummins. Dealer wants more for a reman($5000) than I paid them for the new one in 2002 ($2700) :o :o Tranny is a 1.375 input 4x4

Dave

Might want to get a jump on the patent for that one kevjay. ;)

edit:

Here is a NV4500 that challenged 1000 ft-lbs and my limited sense of humor:

It had a chipped tooth on third gear. I was towing a umm, ahh, large load up a steep hill and couldn't make the jump from second to fourth, so I had to go to third. The results where not pretty.

Paschale

Quote from: kevjay on June 05, 2007, 06:28:40 PM
That's too cool using your phone fer a modem.

Next thing you know they'll figure out how to put a camera in a cell phone. :)

I use my cell phone for a modem when I'm out of town.  Sprint has unlimited internet for $10 a month, but the only problem is that it's Sprint--too many dropped calls.  But I don't use a cable between the two...I have Bluetooth on both, and THAT'S really cool!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

TexasTimbers

Yep- me and my bigmouth I should have applied for a patent before I said anything.

Geez 5K for a reman tranny I hope mine don't go out anytime soon it is behind an F350 7.3L Power Stroke they can't be cheap either. I never miss an oil change but I am staring at 268,000 miles and I have never even changed the filter on the tranny. :o

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has had a bunch of Ford autos, they like regular tranny services. If they act a little funky, they respond well to a service. At your milage, you may not want to touch it. More than one high miler auto drove in for a tranny service, and never moved again. The pumps lose prime and don't have the oomph to pull fresh fluid into them. :o :(

Dave

TexasTimbers

Don't kick a sleeping dog.
Let sleeping dogs lie.
Don't feed an old hound puppy chow.
However ya want to say it. I can't remember who it was here locally that told me he did a tranny flush, like $80 - he had alot of miles too - tranny went out in a week or something.

Furby

Quote from: Tom on June 05, 2007, 10:14:30 AM
Your keyboard is bent! You must've sat on it. :D
Things do more then bend when Jeff sits on them......... thinking of a stock pic that was posted a bit back. ;D :D :D

Jeff, wouldn't it have been easier to just pop in a broadband card instead of the cable and cell phone?

Jeff

Nope. Not feasible either.  No broadband wireless coverage here or the cabin, and it there was, they want 50 bucks a month

Gary_C

I just started my 256K broadband service. Cost $35 bucks per month. I just tested it and it is running 374.6K.  8)

For a 3 year service agreement, the antenna, modem, and installation is free.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider Bill

Jeff, Or anyone!

Heading to the store to buy a laptop today. Have new cell phone. What do I need to connect the 2  ??? :-\?

Jeff

You will probably have to get the connecting wire and software from your cell phone provider. Not any old cell phone will work either. If your phone is new though, I gotta think chances are that its compatible.

Raider Bill

I am now armed with a new laptop, cord to cell phone and software!
Bringing technology to my mountain top retreat.
Hmmm, do I want to really do that............... :-\

Jeff

Raider Bill

nope.

Phone says connected, pc says no phone.

Jeff

Its probably the software yet. I had to reinstall more then once. DONT plug your wire and phone in until after you install the drivers and other software.

Raider Bill

Raider Bill

DanG $#@%&*$#^%$#@&% Thing!

Going to cell phone store tomorrow find out what's up. >:( :( ::)

Jeff

Raider Bill

Yep, loaded it, unloaded it 4 times. Waited for them to tell me when to plug in.
Phone says pc connected, pc says can't find phone.
I would much rather rebuild a automatic transmission.

Jeff

WDH

Tonight, it appears to be the "Yooper Operating System" or the YOS system :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Wonder if it would work on the PS3? You can get a keyboard and mouse and it has network capabilities and blue tooth built-in. Now does it work as a dialup modem (on the cell phone) or broad band? hmmm. The PS3 has a web browser built into the OS. Don't do me no good here though, as I can't get cell at the house and I'm within 10 miles of two Bell-Aliant towers and I'm on a hill, but sloping away from view.  ::)

Pain in the breeches.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

limbrat

I know why them trannys got expensive. They only made them for a few years then the jeep after market fornd them. They are a easy udgrade in 79 to 84 model jeeps with the dana 300 transfer case. The stock three speeds had good low gears but no highway gear to speak of. The nv4500 from a dodge 3/4 ton was the transmission up grade in Jeep cjs for a few years it has good low gears and and a high 4th gear. Same thing happened to the hd t4 and t5 ford trannys after the heaver nv4500 became scarace.
ben

Raider Bill

YeeHaw!
figured it out! Had to chnange a setting in the phone.

This is my first cell phone laptop transmission, Can you hear me now?

Jeff

Raider Bill

WDH

No excuses anymore Raider Bill about having to wait till you get back to Florida to post pics. :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Heading out in the AM, will be primitive camping in my non connected doublewide complate wit cellular internet but no potty.

Now where did that bear $%#& in the woods?

SwampDonkey

Just take that morning stroll and don't forget the paper.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Well, I found out my repaired antenna is not right. I can't even make calls from the cabin now. I came down to detour for the first time this week and through the computer in. I'm getting a real good signal here but the bugs are bad. I'll try and upload a photo taken 20 seconds ago of where I ma at. Just a little park at the end of town near the old boat launch.  Tammy's coming up tomorrow to get me. Today I start building a bridge to get one of my quad trails across the ditch on North Caribou. If things go right, I'll try to post that picture too.

Dave Shepard

Looks like you're running low on Diet Coke, that might be part of the problem. ;D

Dave

SwampDonkey

Nice spot. Good look out. Nice breeze and maybe no flies?  ;D 8)

WDH

That sure looks peaceful......................

sawguy21

It sure does look like a nice spot to unwind.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Jeff
How is are the project projects coming along?

Are they letting you back into town to get on line? 

Anxious to hear how you are doing in the UP der   eh eh
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Reckon he tripped his slip and buried hisself ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Nah!!

He's prolly got an acre 'n half pond (Texans have a different name  ) now, stockin it with fish and designing the pier (dock) so's he can sit out on da end like Tom does with a cane pole in hand.... ;D ;D

(or was that a bigger pond and he alread posted a pic with the toy ship sittin out there ??)   Time we get some details....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Hope it didn't bite him like the car hood did me.  ;)

Jeff

I'm back to Harrison for a spell.  No digging has been done yet as I had to build a trail to where the digging will be.  I'm almost there, but no quite. I dropped my digger off at a buddy's house in Stalwart where he is going to weld a strap of steel to the digging edge. I've still not completely given up on the idea of digging with fermented sheep dung and additives yet... ;D

Furby

I think you'll like that idea even more once you actually try your scoop in that area! ;)

Dave Shepard

I remember driving through town after the Oklahma City bombing with a 100 gallons of diesel fuel and a pallet of feed grade urea (42%N). Ooops! I'm glad noone asked any questions.

Dave

Furby

Any chance the property is located in an area folks like to let off a lot of fireworks in the area?
How about the 4th for cover ??? ;)

Jeff

Its in an area with two big dolomite quarries that give cover noise at regular times. The one in Cedarville is at 3:50 everyday  ;D  The one on Drummond Island is being researched.  :)

Furby

pigman

I don't think the
Quotedigging with fermented sheep dung and additives
will work unless you have a lot more of that material than I think you will be able to obtain.  Smaller quanities will loosen the muck, but will not remove it from the spring.  Of course you might have several tons of that stuff and it will make for a fine lake. :o  ;D
I really just want to see you ride the handles of that home made slip scraper, scoop or what ever it is called. ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

Been many a spring ruined by people tryin to open 'em up. I know that's not REALLY yer plan, but, I'd be very leery of doin whatcher thankin.  ::) ::) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WH_Conley

I have to agree with Harold, seen a couple ruined that way. Best way to open up a spring would be with a track hoe, not a loud noise.
Bill

Jeff

I'm not looking for a better flow of water. I'm looking for a hole. :)  Where this is at, I dont thing were going to get a bang,  we will more apt to get a GLOOOP! ;)

Thank You Sponsors!