iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price check on air dried 8/4 white oak - rough

Started by alan gage, August 02, 2020, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

Have a guy interested in some rough sawn air dried 8/4 white oak. He specified air dried and it needs to be mostly clear. I've got what he needs. He's looking for around 250bf. I told him $4/bf, which he didn't argue with, but he did say he's waiting to hear back from another mill that's closer (he's a long ways away) and that they were also cheaper. He didn't say how much cheaper and I didn't feel like he was trying to talk me down but it did make me wonder if I was in the ballpark.

Thanks,

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

KenMac

My price may not be pertinent to your situation since we are so far apart, but I get $2.50 for what you describe green. Your price sounds reasonable to me.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

scsmith42

For fully air dried 8/4 WO I think that your price is fair.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alan gage

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Price must have been good enough. Guy drove from Boulder, CO (about 12 hours) to buy a couple hundred BF of rough 2x6 air dried white oak. Took some ash too. He said he'd been looking all over and was having a really hard time finding anything that met his needs. He was ripping it to thinner strips and then steam bending it pretty severely into chairs. He was adamant about nothing kild dried and it needed to be straight grained and mostly clear, preferably rift sawn.

From here he drove another 16 hours round trip to Bemidji, MN and bought some there too. That guy was selling for $2/bf. He didn't ask me to match that price and I didn't offer.

Alan

Stephen1

it was a fair price for you as that is the amount you need. Thats why we always need to go by the amount of money we need for a product. It's easy to get mislead here as we are from all over north america and the world. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!